android
Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Found a very irritating bug!

Hi

I've used ZuneHD some time now and I've stumbled upon a very irritating bug.
At my school it's possible to sign on to their wireless network by signing in on a webpage but when I try to type my password the ZuneHD let me press one letter/symbol and then tries to log in to that page resulting in that I can't use the wireless at all since it obviusly tries with the wrong password.

However I know that this bug wasen't there about a year ago so must be some kind of update that screwed this up.

Guess it's not much I can do about this?
but hopefully Dave well get aware of it now at least.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, I don't think that's on the Zune. I think that issue is with the text box that your school provides for that sign in. I can't recall, but I know that I've had this issue with various websites, and I think the issue is with the type of text box, like how in order to post on this site you need to change the posting mode to basic. Now, this is just a THEORY. I don't know enough about it all to be sure.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Try switching your internet content type to desktop (or mobile if you're already on desktop), and deleting cookies. Not sure if that will work, but it's worth a shot.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Yeah, might be the schools fault but at least it works on my laptop.

I've deleted cache, disabled cookies/scripts(required though) and changed to both mobile and desktop so unfortunaly there is nothing more I can do to get this to work.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Can the Zune copy and paste? If so, try typing your password in one app then paste it in the required field.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately, we don't have copy and paste.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Ask the tech department at your school if there is a way to register the MAC address of your Zune to the network so you no longer have to login. I did this at my university. It's very convenient and would circumvent your problem.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:32 AM

They said that they don't have permission to allow with MAC adress
We have two networks here eduroam and another.
Eduroam is a buisness class network(?) so zune can't connect to it
and the other I can't sign in on because of the bug
The site which I need to sign in on works fine on laptops and mobile phones and so on... it's just my zune that can't type the password in a normal way.
This sucks big time!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:55 AM

We have eduroam and also my own uni's wireless networks...

IIRC Eduroam is basically for students, and educators who travel around to many institutions. It allows them to connect to the wireless network for Internet access (with a username and password from their previous institution) without the institution they are visiting having to create a temporary username and password.

By business class I am going to guess you mean "roaming network" ie, it connects to all the different nodes as you travel in and out of range of the different access points?? (I'm guessing as the eduroam here is a "roaming network" - or so my phone says)

Anywho, that is all relevant because at a guess, your schools wireless system (like mine) broadcasts as eduroam and the uni's own wireless network - so therefore the system you have accessed previously may have upgraded or whatever to the same/similar protocols as the Eduroam system.

Please note, that the above is just a theory, and that at any time someone could come in and completely correct me- if someone can, please do.

Any who, the point I'm trying to get around to making is that since you last used your zune on the network it may be confused as to what it's trying to connect to -
I know its basic, but have you tried "forgetting" the network on the zune itself and trying again?
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Last edited by copeys; 03-07-2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old 03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

He may be referring to WPA2 Enterprise as "business class". In that case (I believe) the Zune does not support that encryption type. Unless the last update brought support for that, I have no idea, I don't connect to any WPA2 Enterprise networks ATM

Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 PM

You may be correct.

Any who, i just tried connecting to my uni's "eduroam" network on my ZHD, and even though it says it is in full reception with excellent strength, it says "you are too far from the source".

It says the same thing about my uni's wireless network so it may be what you (steinburger) said
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 AM

Eduroam isn't supported so my point was that I can't use any networks at my university...

But it's the other network where we are supposed to type a username and a password on a website to be able to start using the internet on that network.
It's a normal webpage using some kind of script since it looks strange when turning scripts off.
But the problem is as stated in first post that as soon as I type a character in the password box it trys to log in.
I've tried all settings on the zune that's possible without luck.
It doesn't matter if I have type a username or not.
Since the site works fine for all other devices it must be the ZuneHD that messes this up.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yea, no question there. There's some issue here between what sort of text-entry field that sign in uses and the Zune's ability to handle that. Specifics, though, I have no idea. And I don't know any way to work around it. Sorry.