android
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 AM

Default Cowon J3 Firmware v2.24

Site: http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...?id=C08&no=433
Download: http://dn2.cowon.com/data/C08/J3/x_24/COWON_J3_2.24.zip

Quote:
- Support .LRC lyric format.
- Expanded range of Slide show speed of COMIX (20sec -> 30sec).
- Fixed the error that player speed got slower while connected to USB adaptor.
- Fixed the playback error with some irregular mp3 files which contains overlapped ID3 tags.
- Edited some Chinese menu string.
- Changed Hebrew font.
- Fixed other bugs.
* LRC Support: save .lrc file into same folder and same name of audio files- <Audio File name>. lrc.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 AM

And I thought the J3 was dead for Cowon :P, thank you dfkt ! I especially like the lyrics improvement !
I will try it when I get home, in 7 hours that is :-(, I'll edit my post to tell how well it works.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Good to know, but I am praying there will be a way to playback MP4 files future release. I know it will not happen, however, because I think they are only enabling this for their dedicated PMP players like the V5 and O2.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

i thought you could play mp4 files? doesnt the J3 have undocumented support for it?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Samsung Moderator

The J3 unofficially supports some (most?) AAC/M4A files.

Quite uninteresting firmware if you're not interested in lyrics. At least, now I can sing some hebrew songs with the LRC support and new font

Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM

yeah. kinda meh.

i guess

- Fixed the error that player speed got slower while connected to USB adaptor.
- Fixed other bugs.

those two will make me update anyway, but still i'd like to know what bugs where fixed exactly.

come on cowon, give us some more of your sweet FW love.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Hi there!

I really hope that they fixed the Audible / DRM issue!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Quite uninteresting firmware if you're not interested in lyrics.
I did notice some stuttering/dropouts/lag sometimes with 2.23, listening while charging over USB. This seems to be gone now, so I'm happy.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM

I tried the lrc lyrics (I've a lot of those ^^), the display is a little bar in front of the cover but I'm a bit disappointed, it's not really accurate, I used to use a software called minilyrics together with foobar and it's just not the same... I'll try using it again but it does not seem very exciting, well nevermind that's just a gadget, not a big deal ...

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I did notice some stuttering/dropouts/lag sometimes with 2.23, listening while charging over USB. This seems to be gone now, so I'm happy.
Alright, I concede. I can't make this happen at all.

I've now seen this kind of comment multiple times, about being able to actually use the J3 while it's plugged into a PC via USB and charging. I didn't think that was possible or supported.

I personally thought that the J3 always turned itself off from usable/playable mode when the USB cable was plugged in, always reverting itself into charging mode only. You couldn't listen-while-charging, either with the USB cable plugged into a PC or using an external A/C adapter charger.

Am I wrong?

If I push the power-on button on my J3 while it's plugged in to a PC I cannot get it to actually boot. It will only charge, and the player itself just can't be activated. It just will not start. (actually, even if it did start, I wonder if it's actually charging while playing? I suppose watching the battery gauge might confirm.)

So... what am I missing? Not that I necessarily want to listen while it's charging. But I'm curious as to why I can't even enter that state.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM

While the J3 is plugged into an AC USB charger, just press the play button (not the power button) to get from the USB charging animation to the menu screen. That's how it works for me, on a Soshine charger.

If your charger is 'dumb' (i.e. not adhering to USB charging specs, crossed data lines and all), try plugging the J3 into it while it's turned on, not while it's powered off. Not sure if that does the trick, I have no dumb charger to try.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
While the J3 is plugged into an AC USB charger, just press the play button (not the power button) to get from the USB charging animation to the menu screen.
MAGIC!

That was the secret: (1) AC USB charger, not plugged into the PC via USB, and (2) press the PLAY button, not the power button.

It's immediately apparent that something different is happening when you use a USB charger instead of connecting to the PC. With the charger, the J3 actually appears to go through the boot process and when complete goes to "battery charging" presentation on the screen instead of the main menu. So it's kind of like it's entered a special form of "sleep mode".

Pushing the PLAY button appears to take it out of "sleep mode" and put it back into I guess what must be "powered play mode, but also charging?". Is it really powered and also charging while it is playing this way? Will the player lifetime be infinite this way, as well as keeping the battery at 100% charge?

Anyway, thanks very much for the secret. The J3 definitely does not seem to be able to do anything but charge when you have it plugged in via USB to the PC. No response to any buttons.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Indeed, with a PC USB connection you initialize data transfer, and the J3 is mounted as a device. In that state it cannot be used for playback. Only with a dedicated charger (without logic) it can be used for playback. This goes for pretty much 100% of all players out there - almost none can be used while connected to a PC, almost all can be used while connected to an AC USB charger.*

And yes, it definitely charges while you're listening/watching while it's connected to a dedicated charger. The power you use for listening/watching is lower than what it gets (with a decent charger, providing more than ~500mA), so it will always have a surplus of charge.

*) Most Android devices ask you if you want to charge or connect to a PC.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM

Hi to all!

I updated my J3 to 2.24 and realize that the albumart of the Matrix Browser did not function.
With 2.23 the J3 made a check albumart if I delete all of the jpgs in the System\MusicDB directory. But with 2.24 nothing happened. I downgraded to 2.23 and everything worked fine...
Do you have similar experience?

Regards,
Krischan

Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 AM

Nope, sorry. Works perfectly for me.

Note that I have only MP3 and FLAC files.

Also, I have ZERO imbedded album art in any tags. My album art is 100% stored as "cover.jpg" files in each album folder.

Also, you might try deleting not only the JPG files in \System\MusicDB, but also the ALBUMINF file. Delete everything in the folder and re-boot. It will all be rebuilt from scratch.

If you do still have a problem with these 95x95 small re-sizes and 2.24 that does not happen with 2.23, it must be due to one of the "various fixes" that Cowon included that we don't know any details about.

Anyway, just to chime in. No problem for me with 2.24 and landscape mode.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Hi DSperber!

I have only embedded covers in mp3 files and had no problems with 2.23.
I deleted the whole musicdb directory but after reboot, only the albuminf.db where recreated and no jpgs.

Regards,
Christian

Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krischan View Post
I have only embedded covers in mp3 files and had no problems with 2.23.
I deleted the whole musicdb directory but after reboot, only the albuminf.db where recreated and no jpgs.
My guess is that something's wrong with the imbedded art, and that Cowon made a change in 2.24 which finally is reacting to it.

It's certainly odd that NO 95x95 JPGs made it back into \MusicDB, unless all of your imbedded art images are causing the same problem... or else whatever one or few files are really the problem are causing some "early exit" during the analysis phase, and the process of producing the 95x95 miniatures is simply never getting performed.

Assuming you want to find out what's really at fault here, and assuming you have your entire music collection on your PC and don't mind re-copying it all, how about a little research project to zero in on the problem file(s)?

How about deleting ALL of your music files, and once again delete everything in \MusicDB. Then copy a single folder\file over, re-boot, and see if this produces a JPG in \MusicDB. If it does, you can continue the process step by step now copying a group of folders over, and re-booting, and seeing if the miniature album art you're expecting still appears in \MusicDB.

If it doesn't, either immediately, or eventually, you will then use a binary search method to zero in on the problem file(s). Just delete what you just copied and which first demonstrated the failure, and then re-copy 1/2 of what you first copied. If it now works, then the problem file(s) are in the second 1/2. Or, vice versa.

Anyway, that first test... with just one single music file... that should tell you whether it's really a 2.24 problem with imbedded art or something bad with the imbedded art in some one or more of your MP3 file tags.

Again I can only report that with my non-imbedded art, with 100% of my art as "cover.jpg", there is no problem with 2.24.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 AM

Hi DSperber!

That's what I also did - I'm from a IT-company and trial & error is the standard method for such problems
I deleted all of my mp3s and playlists and the content of MusicDB directory. Then I upgraded my firmware to 2.24 and rebooted the J3, everything fine so far. After that, I copied only one song into the MusicDB directory and in the matrix browser view no albumart appeared. I tested this with several songs and nothing changed.
My opinion is, that the old error of the matrix browser (prior to 2.22) found his way back to 2.24...

Regards,
Christian

Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Just in passing, normally people put their music files under \Music. Maybe you just had a typo when you said you put your trial music file under\MusicDB... which would really be \System\MusicDB.

The \System\MusicDB folder is really for the J3's use, to contain ALBUMINF.DB as well as all of the 95x95 resized album art miniatures that appear in Matrix Browser. Theoretically, every discovered album art image... either (a) cover.jpg from each folder, or (b) imbedded album art in file tags, produces one of those JPG files in \System\MusicDB.

Anyway, the J3 will actually find your music files ANYWHERE. It doesn't have to be under any particular organization.

Ok, next suggested experiment. Use MP3Tag to remove the imbedded album art from the one folder which you say you copied over and did not get any JPG produced in \System\MusicDB. Save that extracted JPG in the album folder in which that music file (which no longer will have an imbedded JPG art image) lives.

In other words, you should have \Music\Artist\Album as the folder, with the one MP3 music file in it (with no imbedded album art in its tag), and the album art in that folder as cover.jpg.

This should absolutely work, and should produce the expected JPG in \System\MusicDB. I honestly don't know if Matrix Browser will work properly if there's only one JPG in \System\MusicDB, but you can certainly examine the contents of that folder and there should be the one JPG (95x95 miniature of your one cover.jpg).

Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 AM

JUST CONFIRMED: 2.24 seems to have brought back that bug we had with 2.21, where the boot-time analysis of album art (either imbedded or as cover.jpg) DOES NOT GET PERFORMED!!! This is the "check albumart" function, which does NOT appear with 2.24.

I just deleted everything in my \System\MusicDB folder and re-booted. And ZERO ended up here except for ALBUMINF.DB. NO 95x95 miniature JPGs appeared here as they should.

Reloaded 2.23 firmware to the root of J3, re-booted to get back 2.23 firmware, and sure enough \System\MusicDB got rebuilt completely as it should.

I've opened a ticket on the Cowon site.

But you need to go back to 2.23, for proper Matrix Browser and landscape mode operation, since the boot-time analysis bug from 2.21 (which also failed to analyze album art at boot time) seems to unwittingly have been reinstated into 2.24 by Cowon.

Last edited by DSperber; 03-03-2011 at 08:33 AM.