android
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Default Issue with Album mode

I discovered to my dismay last night something I consider a serious issue with "album" mode on my brand new J3 (firmware 2.23). I chose an album, kicked off the first track, and the J3 started playing it, right enough ... it played right through the Album, all tracks in order ... but then it simply moved without pause into the next album in the alphabetical list. I don't want this to happen! I expected it to stop at the end of the album. Is this not possible?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 PM

The answer IS in the manual, both visually showing the icons as well as with accompanying English text description.

Is it a great description? Not really. Are the icons really intuitive? Well not so much. But is the answer here? Yes.

The secret is to set "folder" as the play boundary, instead of "ALL".

(1) When the player is playing something tap on the small down-triangle at the center-bottom of the title bar at the top of the portrait-mode window. This will reveal a drop-down sub-menu with five icons used to control playback:

(2) If you then tap on the second icon in the drop-down sub-menu,you'll get a secondary sub-menu set of icons further specifying how playback is to proceed:

The first group of choices controls (a) play once through the boundary, or (b) repeat within the boundary.

The second group so of choices controls (a) straight play sequentially, or (b) random/shuffle.

The third group of choices in this second sub-menu controls the playback boundary: (a) current file only, (b) only files within the current folder/sub-folder, or (c) ALL music files on the J3.

If you have ALL set, music will continue beyond the current selected album into the next album. If you have FOLDER set, music should play only within the current folder/sub-folder... either (a) to the end and then stop if you have "play-once" mode set, or (b) repeat from the first track in the boundary if you have "repeat" mode set.

Set your controls here while playing something, and that should solve your problem.

Last edited by DSperber; 02-24-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 PM

Thanks. I find the manual somewhat impenetrable. I'm still getting used to it.
(And many of the icons don't immediately "speak" to me, even after I've read what they represent.)

Well, it seems like a strange choice they've made for the default settings. But you've heartened me that something can be done about them. Thanks, and thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed reply.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber
If you have ALL set, music will continue beyond the current selected album into the next album
Hmm, there seems to be an exception if have "play once through the boundary" activated. Once J3 gets to the end it just stops playing with "ALL" set.

Oh, and it also has to be said that "play once through the boundary" resets whenever you manually choses the next song from a list. Use the skip buttons instead in such situation.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
Hmm, there seems to be an exception if have "play once through the boundary" activated. Once J3 gets to the end it just stops playing with "ALL" set.
Well, you're right. Despite what the manual claims is supposed to be the behavior of ALL it does not seem to work as described.

It appears to be the same as FOLDER, in how it functions. This seems like a bug, not by design... since they clearly provided an ALL option specified to work differently than FOLDER.

But now that I've tried it myself, it does appear that play does NOT move on automatically into the next folder (neither for the next artist, or for the next album within this artist, or for the next alphabetical title album, or anything) when the last track of the current folder completes playing.

It definitely either (a) stops playing at that final track n the current folder, if "play once" is specified, or (b) starts playing at the first track in the current folder, if "repeat" is specified.

I cannot find a combination of settings involving ALL that actually moves to any other folder. Seems to me like ALL is "broken".

Am I missing something? Did I misinterpret what the manual is presumably describing?

I wonder if this has to do with how I started the playback... by [Artists] and then selecting an artist, and an album for that artist. I wonder if I have to browse by [Folders] to make ALL work "properly" as described? Will give that a try.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I wonder if I have to browse by [Folders] to make ALL work "properly" as described? Will give that a try.
My system had "ALL" selected, and as stated in my first post, if I started playing in Album mode, then the J3 played all tracks in that album and then moved on to another album and started playing there. I was wrong before, saying it was the next alphabetically-named album - when I tried it again I realised it almost seems like a random choice, so I'm not sure how it was chosen. (The albums were loaded, in discrete folders, onto my J3 in alphabetical order, so it wasn't the next folder by time-stamp, either. And playing through the end of the same album a second time resulted in a different follow-on album being played, though after checking the manual pretty carefully I can't find any randomising option switched on.)

I'd bought the J3 after protracted and really anoying database issues with iRiver devices, so when I thought the J3 was going to be problematical as well I probably got a bit more frustrated than was warranted in the context, but there you go.

I'm not aware of having selected "ALL" or having done anything more in that menu than look at incomprehensible (to me) symbols, so I think my J3 must have come with these options set that way.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 AM

YEP... THAT'S THE SECRET!!!

(1) If you browse by meta-data tag field (e.g. by [Artist]) and then navigate to an album by that artist, the ALL setting appears to function identically to FOLDER. No difference.

So when you've started off in tag-based folder/file selection, ALL means FOLDER (or rather, ALL is not supported as described).

The only playback control that seems to have any function is the (a) PLAY ONCE, or (b) REPEAT setting.

(2) If instead you browse by [Folders], i.e. you really have the J3 in pure Windows Explorer-like folder/file navigation, and you pick a specific album and track for playback, and you have PLAY ONCE specified, then when the last track in that folder is reached if ALL is in effect then the first track in the next album will be moved to and playback of that track will begin.

Actually, it specifically is the next next alphabetical album either by the same artist, if another album exists, or the first alphabetical album by the next alphabetical artist, if the last track of the last album of the current artist has just finished.

In fact, the PLAY ONCE vs. REPEAT settings now appears to have no effect. Both options function as if PLAY ONCE has been selected, since REPEAT does not cause re-play starting from track one of the current folder (although it may eventually start re-play from the very first track of the very first album once the very last track on the very last album has been played).

The only playback control that appears to be functional in [Folders] browse mode is FOLDER vs. ALL. And if you have ALL specified, then when the last track of the currently selected folder is finished the J3 will move on to the first track of the next album folder and start playing it.

===>> [Folders] vs. [Artists] or other tag-based browse, seems to be the key:

(a) [Folders] makes ALL work as described. PLAY ONCE or REPEAT is now functionless.

(b) [Artists] makes ALL work as FOLDER (i.e. ALL as described is no longer active). PLAY ONCE or REPEAT is now functional, within that folder.

Last edited by DSperber; 02-25-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branais View Post
My system had "ALL" selected, and as stated in my first post, if I started playing in Album mode, then the J3 played all tracks in that album and then moved on to another album and started playing there.
Well, I just tried exercising this not by browsing via [Folders], and not by [Artists], but instead by [Albums] as you say you did.

Interestingly, for me the J3 now seems "broken" when it finishes playing that last track of the current album. It does not behave as you say it worked for you.

Instead of doing any of the things I described earlier, it actually just sits there with the progress fuel gauge just continuing to progress... clock value continuing to increase beyond the actual true time value end of the track! Nothing is playing, but the clock just continues to increase... on the current track (i.e. last track of current album folder).

(1) So if I browse by [Album] with PLAY ONCE + ALL set, the J3 does not work correctly when that last album track is finished. It just "stalls" on that last track, clock continuing to increase beyond the end of the track but no sound as if playback were occurring, but it is not. Seems broken. Obviously not correct.

And if I browse by [Album] with REPEAT + ALL set, the J3 goes back to the first track in that folder when the last track in the album folder is finished.

(2) If I browse by [Artist] with PLAY ONCE + ALL set, the J3 just stops playing (although it appears to reposition itself to the first track in that album folder, in case I then press PLAY) when that last track is finished.

If I browse by [Artist] with REPEAT + ALL set, the J3 restarts playing the first track in that album folder when the last track has finished.

===> ALL is treated like FOLDER when ALL is set, when browsing by [Artist]

(3) If I browse by [Folders] with PLAY ONCE + ALL set, the J3 moves on to the alphabetically first track in either (a) the alphabetically next album folder by the current artist, or (b) the alphabetically first album folder by the alphabetically next artist when the last track in the current album folder finishes. In other words, alphabetical navigation through the folder/sub-folder tree under \Music like Windows Explorer would do.

Or, if I browse by [Folders] with REPEAT + ALL set, the J3 does exactly the same as above.

===>> REPEAT is treated like PLAY ONCE when ALL is set, browsing by [Folders], i.e. there is no repeat for the songs within the current folder (although the whole J3 collection may actually repeat, if you ever get to the true last song in the true last folder).

For me, ALL only seems to work properly as described when browsing by [Folders], with REPEAT seemingly non-functional as the J3 seems to behave as if PLAY ONCE were set.

Last edited by DSperber; 02-25-2011 at 02:14 AM.