android
Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Smile Gusgus_MS is there a size limit for the epub files?

Gusgus_MS

I have been trying to load a epub file that is about 1.6 MB with no success, so I wonder if there is a size limit to the books you could load to the app?

Also would it be possible to integrate the ability to upload (for backup) and download from skydrive, so that you can save your books there. Since at the moment there is a 10 book limit you can save your library there and exchange books as necessary. Also since you mention the app can import txt files I could use it to add notes to the app, like for example a shopping list or a to-do list ect.

Thanks for the app, with the ability to import txt, pdb, epub files there is a world of possibilities.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR2011 View Post
Gusgus_MS

I have been trying to load a epub file that is about 1.6 MB with no success, so I wonder if there is a size limit to the books you could load to the app?

Also would it be possible to integrate the ability to upload (for backup) and download from skydrive, so that you can save your books there. Since at the moment there is a 10 book limit you can save your library there and exchange books as necessary. Also since you mention the app can import txt files I could use it to add notes to the app, like for example a shopping list or a to-do list ect.

Thanks for the app, with the ability to import txt, pdb, epub files there is a world of possibilities.

Thanks
There is no size limit. Does the epub have DRM? If not, can you post it somewhere where I can see it? There should not be a 10 book limit, if so I'll see why the Zune team added it after I handed off.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusgus_MS View Post
There is no size limit. Does the epub have DRM? If not, can you post it somewhere where I can see it? There should not be a 10 book limit, if so I'll see why the Zune team added it after I handed off.
Gusgus_MS I sent you a PM with the details on how I am testing.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Smile Importing txt files

Gusgus_MS

When you import a txt file, it appears in the book list as "untitled". I rename it using the app and the new name is updated on the book list.

But when I select the book and then select "First page" or "Last reading position" the text document appears but the title says "untitled" at the top of the screen where the "..." is.

Is there a way to change this?

Thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM

No, it appears that is a bug in the application. I will make sure it gets tracked.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Thanks Gusgus_MS

Your app does what it needs to do so I thank you. For a few years now I've been creating jpg books from Gutenberg text files and your app saves sooo much time!

I've also imported some other books from URLs and they seem to work fine with one caveat which you've already spoken to... I wish more sites used valid xhtml but then that certainly isn't your fault. Because it is such a hit an miss, I'm sticking to just those displaying in text.

Really just wanted to say thank you... now back to "Walden"

Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 PM

i am having quite a bit of trouble with this app. what info you have given already has been extremely helpful, and i was able to import some of my own books (in .txt format) but when i try to read them it just restarts my zune, or sends me to the main menu. it has done this with every book i have imported. otherwise, this is an amazing app, i am really enjoying "the art of war" by sun tzu, and i am sure there are many more classical titles i have yet to discover. also, there is quite a few people over here that have questions as well. half of this thread has been copy/pasted over there already, so you might as well go check it out.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Gusgus_MS is there a txt file limit.

Gusgus_MS

I posted a while ago regarding if there was a limit to the size of epub files, to which you replied that there was no limit. You mentioned that the problem in my case was that the epub file I was using had invalid xml code or something like that. I was hoping that on the latest update of the app this could be fixed but I still have the same problem (by the way thanks for the changes implemented on the last update of the app).

I decided to try to import a similar book but this time as a plain txt file, the file is big about 3.9 MB so I was wondering if there was a size limit to txt files.

I have no problem importing small size txt files, but the big one just does not import and is a simple txt file no special xml code that could cause the app not to import.

Also on another note would it be possible to get an external app to process the files outside the Zune HD and convert them to a standard format for the app (something like .ZBR Zune Book Reader format). So that you can just add the books already converted to the app without having to convert them from PDB, hmtl, txt, epub, etc. on the app itself.

This way it could be easier to see why a book fails to import, maybe some books put much strain on the Zune processor etc. Maybe users could work on the conversion external application and improve it over time.

Just an idea.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Those are great ideas and comments, PR2011! I hope they end up yielding something fruitful.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 PM

I already posted this on ZB, figured I'd spread the word:
Okay, I've gotten it fully working. You have to import the books individually, but it still works. What I did:
Convert whatever format you have (mobi, lit, etc.) to PDF - THIS IS ESSENTIAL! Using calibre
Now use the previously mentioned in this thread pdf to epub converter
Put it on your local network somewhere or a server of some type (I used my own website)
Point the reader DIRECTLY AT THE FILE INCLUDING THE EXTENSION!
It should take a while, but it'll work. I keep mine awake while importing as a precaution. Enjoy!

The link for the converter I mentioned is here:
http://www.pdf-epub-converter.com/?soft

I have found this method to be successful for multiple different books, 2 in MOBI and 1 in LIT.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceMoser View Post
I already posted this on ZB, figured I'd spread the word:
Okay, I've gotten it fully working. You have to import the books individually, but it still works. What I did:
Convert whatever format you have (mobi, lit, etc.) to PDF - THIS IS ESSENTIAL! Using calibre
Now use the previously mentioned in this thread pdf to epub converter
Put it on your local network somewhere or a server of some type (I used my own website)
Point the reader DIRECTLY AT THE FILE INCLUDING THE EXTENSION!
It should take a while, but it'll work. I keep mine awake while importing as a precaution. Enjoy!

The link for the converter I mentioned is here:
http://www.pdf-epub-converter.com/?soft

I have found this method to be successful for multiple different books, 2 in MOBI and 1 in LIT.
Sorry to burst your bubble man, but I tried this with several books to no avail. I tried the same book, once already in pdf, one from text to pdf using caliber, and one from lit to pdf using caliber. The app sat there trying to import it, but in the end it just either went back to the menu, or restarted my Zune. What size of books did you import? Or is there A certain amount of time this app will run for before timing out. I love the idea of a converter just for the Zune reader though.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 PM

I'm completely new to the ereader thing, so it may just be me doing everything completely wrong as I have no idea what I'm doing, but does anyone know if this works with the Baen Free Library? I've been looking for a way to read Baen away from my computer, and without going to the library across town, and this looked like the answer, but so far I haven't been able to figure anything out with it yet.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

As long as the book isn't drm'd then the ereader should be able to download it but I still don't know how to download books or what kind of link it has to be or what file type it supports. So that wasn't much help to you. Sorry.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Smile To Icer regarding Baen

Icer,

The app does accept books from the Baen free library. I was able to import "Warrior's Apprentice" with no problems.

Test the following and let us know if it works for any of you:

On your PC:

1. Go to the Baen free library web.
2. From the links on the left select "Books".
3. From the list of book titles, click the one you want to add to the app.
4. You should be on the page of the book selected, check under the picture of the book cover and look for the heading in grey "Download Unzipped Files".
6. There will be links for several e-reader formats, you will use "EPUB/Nook/Stanza Format", copy this link or hover over it to see to where it points.

The link will look similar to this (but no exactly as it will vary by book)
http://www.webscription.net/SendFile.aspx?SKU=067172066X&ProductID=1290&format =E

On your Zune HD:

1. Open the e-reader app.
2. Select "Add a book" and enter the link to the book you got on the previous step. If done correctly you should be able to import.

There might be other ways to import, experiment.

As mentioned before on previous posts, the app can import files with the following extensions: .epub, .txt, .html etc.

It is advised to increase the chance of a successful import to use the best internet connection possible, in other words use your Zune HD connected to your PC, to take advantage of your PC internet connection. Just make sure the Zune software on the PC is closed.

Also be advised that the app does not like all epub files, so it will be trial and error as the app only tells you the import failed but it will not tell you why it failed.

I have used a program called "Sigil" which is an epub file editor, which has helped me modify files I could not previously import and with some tweaking thankfully I have been able to import some of those ones.

Hope this helps

Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Smile To the developers of the app, Please add a text search feature.

To the developers of the app, Please add a text search feature to the e-reader.

It would be nice to be able to search for a word inside a book.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Awesome, thanks man!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Sure would be nice if someone could figure out how to get your own ePub files into the reader. I have a few ePub files (fully legal, no DRM) that I posted to a free website (webs.com) and tried to download them to the Zune HD via the app. No luck. I figured as much from the posts all over the place about people trying them and not working....but nobody had tried Webs.com yet.

HOWEVER, I was able to upload and then download a little TXT file (only 6kb). I know you can use Calibre to change between file types, so I guess tonight I'll have to convert a big ePub file to TXT and see if that works.

Edit: http://littledavej.webs.com/faq.txt The FAQs I've been doing in TXT format. Imports fine entering the URL EXACTLY as listed...including the http:// and no www. Comes in as Untitled, but you can re-name it in the tool. I Really hope this works as I want to be able to read some stuff on the Zune...but the TXT file doesn't have chapter options and stuff. Hmmmmmm.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 AM

I've been playing with this E-Reader app and I believe I've found a viable option to upload ebooks.
  1. Sign up for Dropbox (either the website or the software download work. I've also tried Live SkyDrive, but it just doesn't seem to work very well; constant import failed errors)
  2. Find your epub ebook and upload to the Public folder of Dropbox. (the epub files must be in the public folder as it has full anonymous access from the Internet)
  3. Click on the epub file once uploaded and choose Copy Public Link. (this is actually easier when using the website as it allows you to shorten the link automatically as such websites as Bit.ly does)
  4. Open the E-Reader app and Add a Book.
  5. Type in the EXACT url, including applicable case (the url IS case sensitive)
  6. The download process takes some time depending on how large the epub file is. (I had a 1MB epub file take approximately 7-10 minutes)
  7. If the download is successful you can move on to the next epub file.
  8. If the download is NOT successful you need to check the epub file is some type of editor or manually.
  9. I've been using Sigil to view the epub file for compatibility and errors, however I've been manually modifying cover pictures, metadata, table of contents, etc. (HINT: if you rename the epub file extension to .zip you can browse the subfiles as a "container" and once your modifications are complete just rename the extension back to .epub
  10. Attempt the download to the E-Reader app again and hopefully it works, if not, try reviewing the epub file again for any errors.
Unfortunately this method requires some trial and error. I've tried other ways such as plain text and straight XHTML, but with very little success. The method above seems to work out the best so far. Hope this helps others out. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Good to know that it's taking you 7-10min to download it too. I had a relatively large ePub file (2.7MB) I was trying to download and when I was doing it wirelessly, it would bomb about 1min into the download. However, plugged in via the sync cable, it goes about 10-12min before finally bombing.

Not sure if it's a problem with the file itself not being compatible, or if it's a size/bandwidth type issue. Will have to give a smaller ePub file a shot later tonight and see if it works through Webs.com.

I'm only using Webs.com as it's free, has a simple file uploader, and has a relatively short URL to type into the Zune. Read elsewhere (not sure which forum) that any of the File Share things were causing problems and some thought it was a result of popups associated with the URL.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Well I'm glad to see this thread is getting some more attention. I have tried atleast fifty times with dropbox, I have only had text files work, and almost all of those would simply restart my Zune when I tried to read them. The files are about 5mb I think. So what do you mean when you say go Looking for errors? I am not very learned when it Comes to html or XML code. Any and all help is appreciated, maybe we can get gusgus back on here