android
Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Default Walkman x-1060 Super slow

My sony Walkman NWZ X1060 of 32GB has been a very good player for about 1.5 years of being used.... It's lightning fast and very cool interface, and the best of all BEST SOUND QUALITY for classical music.

Recently I decided to put in it 25,538 Pictures ~1.13GB and it took ages to transfer them (Sony Content transfer is what i use).

To my surprise to build the Library took ages about 1 minute or so when normally took almost nothing EVEN when full of music ~6,000 files (I use MP3 @ 192 kbps, Fraunhofer CBR)

When I browse Music it takes a while to refresh album art, even when I press a "touch" button it lags to paint in glowing orange and response, menus are too slow to appear.

In the pictures folder works normally, fast as usual. In the videos is the Worst part, they play well, but when i happen to browse for a new vid in the list, OMG it takes up to 2 minutes to refresh the names, thumbs in the list. Normally it took nothing to do this refresh

Now the super turtle slow part is when i transfer new content via PC (Sony CT for walkman)it Takes ages, yes ages, to show the amount of content you have on it.. when i press one of the Buttons to show the "Delete content [music, vids, pics] dialog) it takes about 5 minutes to build the list, then another 5 to 8 minutes to start deleting the content.

What kind of slow processor sony uses, pentium -0.0005? also as always sony USB transfer is slow, wish they had outed a eSata walkman

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Also I have noted this problem also after 1.5 years of owning this player: The battery seems to be dying prematurely.. when I had it brand new I could listen to about 20 CDs (4 per day) in one charge now I usally listen to 8 or 10 CDs before a low batt icon pops

Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 PM

I don't have the problem with slow browsing- but I have found interacting with my Walkman on the computer to be horribly slow since I got it 2 months ago. Putting a few songs on can take a few minutes - it's horrible. It took hours to transfer all my music onto it. And when I unplug it the computer has to think about it for a minute or two. Is this normal?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I wondered if it has issues interacting with 64 bit computers or something.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBach View Post
Also I have noted this problem also after 1.5 years of owning this player: The battery seems to be dying prematurely.. when I had it brand new I could listen to about 20 CDs (4 per day) in one charge now I usally listen to 8 or 10 CDs before a low batt icon pops
My understanding is that a factor in the battery life is the number of times it has been recharged, with lithium-ion batteries good for about 500 recharges. Based on that figure, if you charge it once a day the battery is good for about 16 months. Also, per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery) temperature can be a factor in the life of the battery.

I recently had to replace my ebook reader (a Sony PRS-505) due to the battery wearing out. After about 2 years of regular use the battery life had dropped to less than 1 hour of use on a charge.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 02-25-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildandgreen View Post
I don't have the problem with slow browsing- but I have found interacting with my Walkman on the computer to be horribly slow since I got it 2 months ago. Putting a few songs on can take a few minutes - it's horrible. It took hours to transfer all my music onto it. And when I unplug it the computer has to think about it for a minute or two. Is this normal?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I wondered if it has issues interacting with 64 bit computers or something.
As far as I know, it is normal to take a little bit of time for the player to create its library after adding/deleting files on the player. My player (NWZ-X1051) usually takes no more than a minute to create the library.

As far as how long it take to load songs on the player, I think it depends on the software. I use MediaMonkey to manage the music on my player and it took about 2 hours to completely load the music on my player (roughly 13gb). However, if I load a few songs on my player with Content Transfer it only takes a few seconds to complete the task.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM

The slowness of transfering files is well know I know , also the battery, but if i have a few pics on my NWZ X1060 works lightning fast.

I did the test yesterday, fromatted it and transferred solely music and it works very well, then I decided to re-transfer the 25,538 pictures and it is slow as a snail again.... the pics are "Base line pics" according to Photshop. and they show ell on waolkman.

But the browsing with the 25,000+ files is so slow.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
The slowness of transfering files is well know I know , also the battery, but if i have a few pics on my NWZ X1060 works lightning fast.

I did the test yesterday, fromatted it and transferred solely music and it works very well, then I decided to re-transfer the 25,538 pictures and it is slow as a snail again.... the pics are "Base line pics" according to Photshop. and they show ell on waolkman.

I checked the instruction manual for the NWZ-X1050/X1051/X1060/X1061. The specifications for the player (on pages 174 and 175) state that the maximum number of photos it can handle is 20,000. With more than 25,000 photos on your player, this could be the reason that your player is slow.

The manual also indicates that the maximum number of video files it can handle is 2,000. I couldn't find specific limit on the number of songs the player can hold, since it depends on the way the files are encoded, but at a low bitrate (48kbps) it is possible to fit more than 20,000 songs on the NWZ-X1061.

I have more than 2,300 songs on my player (an NWZ-X1051), along with a few photos and videos, and I haven't noticed any slowdown when using my player. It's about as fast as my old player (an NWZ-A818), even when loaded with music to its capacity.

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 02-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If there is a database kept for the file system, and you've put more files on than it can handle (keep in system RAM?), it suggests to me you should expect it to have to rebuild at least part of itself every time you call for a file in any app. Delete 6000 pictures for a lark, and see if it doesn't speed up again.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
My understanding is that a factor in the battery life is the number of times it has been recharged, with lithium-ion batteries good for about 500 recharges. Based on that figure, if you charge it once a day the battery is good for about 16 months. Also, per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery) temperature can be a factor in the life of the battery.

I recently had to replace my ebook reader (a Sony PRS-505) due to the battery wearing out. After about 2 years of regular use the battery life had dropped to less than 1 hour of use on a charge.
Slightly off-topic, but I find this quite dispiriting.

An older A series of mine with bluetooth lasted less than 2 years before the battery died. I don't think 16 months or 2 years is acceptable for a device particularly when you're paying a hell of a lot of money for it (don't know if the much cheaper E series has the same problem).

Is this battery life issue more prevalent with Sonys? Because I read plenty of posts by people who are still using their older Cowon i7s, Creative Zen Visions and Sansas with no battery problems.

My new Sony has a battery care setting whereby it charges to just 90% each time, theoretically prolonging the battery life. I use that, and rotate between using my Clip+, my phone and the Sony, so hopefully the battery will last a while.

At least the X and the A have screws on the back meaning a battery swap shouldn't be impossible.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:

This doesn't surprise me.

I have a folder on my PC which contains about 7000 ebooks - it's only around 2GB in total, but transferring it (whether on to a memory stick or onto another device) takes ages and ages. Music is much faster.

Also, I read that the X doesn't have a particularly fast processor inside it - hence the delay in displaying album art you get. This was fixed in the A series.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirectionhome View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I find this quite dispiriting.

An older A series of mine with bluetooth lasted less than 2 years before the battery died. I don't think 16 months or 2 years is acceptable for a device particularly when you're paying a hell of a lot of money for it (don't know if the much cheaper E series has the same problem).

Is this battery life issue more prevalent with Sonys? Because I read plenty of posts by people who are still using their older Cowon i7s, Creative Zen Visions and Sansas with no battery problems.

My new Sony has a battery care setting whereby it charges to just 90% each time, theoretically prolonging the battery life. I use that, and rotate between using my Clip+, my phone and the Sony, so hopefully the battery will last a while.

At least the X and the A have screws on the back meaning a battery swap shouldn't be impossible.
I don't think its a flaw in the devices themselves, but a limitation of the battery technology. What is disappointing is that so many devices don't feature easily user-replaceable batteries, since that is likely one of the main reasons for replacing devices.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 PM

Deleted 7000 pictures and now works faster.... it gets slow if you "feed" it with more than 20,000 pics