android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Default which headphones should i buy and be worth it

hmmmm i have skullcandy g.i's at the moment but i was wondering which headphones could be better

i have like....70 bucks...
i listento almost everything...
heavy,indie,rap,tech,so on.....im just have trouble trying to figure out which would be better

i like bigheadphones lol like the over ear design

basically a similar design to the g.i's but better sound and no leakage

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get the best headphones you can made by Sennheiser,...I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Get the best headphones you can made by Sennheiser,...I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!!!
i was looking into those there they are soooo much cash!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get something on sale from Amazon.com, something w/free S&H. You have $70.00, that can get some good HP's.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM

If this guy is right these might be a good choice.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...r+appreciation

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 AM

Suggestion: Try saving up a little, I just saw some Sennheiser 595s on Amazon for $150, and I know HD 380 Pros are $150 at Fry's Electronics and Guitar Centers, and I can personally vouch that the 380s are worth every penny. They have quality you can't even dream of from Skullcandy.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkibblez View Post
Suggestion: Try saving up a little, I just saw some Sennheiser 595s on Amazon for $150, and I know HD 380 Pros are $150 at Fry's Electronics and Guitar Centers, and I can personally vouch that the 380s are worth every penny. They have quality you can't even dream of from Skullcandy.
my skullcandys just broke -_- lmao damn.....

Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 AM

i was looking at the SENNHEISER HD205 ....i checked the 238s i dont really like the style....but the Sennheiser HD428 omfg i fell in love

you think the 428 will stay on i bmx....:[....so flinging myself down a stairs and preying they stay on

Last edited by kraze10458; 02-22-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze10458 View Post
my skullcandys just broke -_- lmao damn.....
How did they break? I have never had full size headphones break on me. On earbuds, one side might quit working, but the Skullcandy GI look sturdy. Is the quality of Skullcandy really that cheap?

If you are prepared to go up to around $160, how about these. They are all the rage at "that other place" (i.e. Head Fi). I bought a pair to try them out, and they are quality all the way. From construction to sound. Just make sure you get the one with coiled cord, not the straight one (too long).

Sennheiser is a great brand just as Audio Technica is.

If you want to stay around $70 there is always the AKG K518LE. Relatively cheap, doesn't break after 6 months, and sounds very good (albeit a bit bassy).
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Last edited by Danneq; 02-22-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM

+1 for the AKG-K518LE..quite possibly the best sub-$100 supra-aurals I've tried till date ..

@danneq- kinda OT but I recently got a choice between getting a denon 1100 and an ATH-M50.. i've got a big head and so comfort is a big thing for me; which is the only thing thats stopping me from getting the M50s.. a few of my friends back in the UK own them and most of them agree that comfort is the one area where it fails.. I've tried the Denons which are really comfortable and although I prefer bass-heavy cans and IEMs usually, I'm trying to get some HPs and IEMs with a neutral sound sig such as the Audeo PFE and the M50.. any thoughts?

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 AM

Well, I have never tried the Denon 1100, so I cannot compare them to the ATH-M50. My head is pretty much normal size and I do not have any problems at all with my M50, except that they can clamp. The clamp is not as hard as from the AKG K518 or the Sennheiser HD25 (and my ears fit inside the M50's cups instead of the earpads pressing on them as with the K518 & HD25), but it does feel.

Perhaps not helpful, but I can tell you that the M50 feels more comfortable than the K518! Have you checked out Head fi?

Here are some threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437423/m-50-comfort

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...f-the-ath-m50s

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...h-more-comfort

Comparisons with Denon AH D1100:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...non-ah-d1100-s

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...s-aiaiai-tma-1

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...-better-choice

Okay, enough thread-napping. Back to the OP!
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze10458 View Post
i was looking at the SENNHEISER HD205 ....i checked the 238s i dont really like the style....but the Sennheiser HD428 omfg i fell in love

you think the 428 will stay on i bmx....:[....so flinging myself down a stairs and preying they stay on
I had the HD205. Most uncomfortable headphones I've ever had. They are supra aural(sits on your ears not over them) and have a clamping pressure that has to be felt to be believed. BMX would be no problem. You could probably skydive and land with no chute and they wouldn't come off. I can't say much about the SQ. What I remember most is the headaches they caused if I tried to wear them more that a half hour. I tried to follow the advice posted and stretched them over a basketball for a few days. The memory of the plastic made them return to their original size in about a hour or so. Headache city. I've got a pretty big melon so YMMV.

The HD428 I have now are just the opposite. Very light and comfy. The pads aren't world beaters but a decent quality. A bit light on bass but it doesn't distort if you EQ to that and don't go crazy with the volume. BUT they have the thinnest cable I've ever seen on a pair of full size headphones. Thinner than most IEM cables. I read somewhere it's Kevlar reenforced and they may be. When I snagged the their first cousin the HD448 on a door knob the cable destroyed the 'phones not the other way around.

The other issue is that they are really nice for at home but the fit is so loose I'd wonder if they would stay on as you flung yourseld down the stairs.

I like the AKG-K518LE idea. If the price doesn't sky rocket I'm plannig on those being my summer portables. I've read a lot of good things about them and plan on getting a set when the money becomes available.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danneq View Post
How did they break? I have never had full size headphones break on me. On earbuds, one side might quit working, but the Skullcandy GI look sturdy. Is the quality of Skullcandy really that cheap?

If you are prepared to go up to around $160, how about these. They are all the rage at "that other place" (i.e. Head Fi). I bought a pair to try them out, and they are quality all the way. From construction to sound. Just make sure you get the one with coiled cord, not the straight one (too long).

Sennheiser is a great brand just as Audio Technica is.

If you want to stay around $70 there is always the AKG K518LE. Relatively cheap, doesn't break after 6 months, and sounds very good (albeit a bit bassy).
the pros look dope xD lol!!! 150. i might have to save up abit...-_- ...the skull candys broke on the adjustable band it cracked...i reinforced it with some small metal plates...and black tape to fix it for now...

the AKG K518LE....:[...they look kinda weak

THANKS TO EVERYONE BTW

Last edited by kraze10458; 02-22-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 AM

Ah, it say "Pro Studio monitors" in the Amazon listing. The real name of the headphones is Audio Technica M50. There are two version - the M50 with coiled cable, and the M50s with a long straight cable. They are great, but I don't see them as really portable phones...

The AKG K518LE might look weak, but looks can decieve. They are stronger than they look. The only downsides and I wrote is that they can clamp a bit and they are a bit too bassy for me (but that can be fixed by lowering bass on your MP3 player).

None of the headphones recommended in this thread will disappoint you when it comes to sound. About durability, I am only familiar with the ATH M50 and the AKG K518LE.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy your choice.

EDIT: Here's a cheaper listing with the M50. And it's got coiled cable.

Last edited by Danneq; 02-24-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM

thanks bro im going to try and order them today

how long is the coiled wire....o.o im 5'6 will it reach into my pocket lol and not pull my ipod out....o yeah im going to change my ipod soon lol

Last edited by kraze10458; 02-23-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 AM

I hope you enjoy them. The price at Amazon is much better than in Sweden. We have to pay close to $300 for the M50 here!
I bought mine second hand in Japan when I lived there last year. A new pair of M50 costs around 17.000 yen which is more than the Amazon listings. I paid 9.000 yen (shipping included) and the headphones were in great condition. Except that the former owner was a smoker and I had to buy replacement earpads to reduce the stench of cigarrette smoke. That cost another 2.000 yen, so I paid 11.000 in total. That's around the same price as the Amazon deal...

About the cable length, you can find info here:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...7d/index.html/

If I understand correctly, the cable length is 3.9'/1.2 meter normally, and when fully extended it is 9.8'/3 meter.
But 9.8'/3 meter might be the length of the straight cable...

EDIT: To answer my own question, the straight cable version of the M50 have a 11'/3.5 meter long cable.

Last edited by Danneq; 02-24-2011 at 06:59 AM.