android
Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Well, just so you know, it's called anythingbutipod because it's designed to promote non-iPod PMPs... But anyway, yes, Zune's got its flaws. No player's perfect, however. But I agree with your defense of ZuneHD's support.

I agree here, as well. Although, I don't really consider wild speculation philosophy

As long as you don't make unjustified attacks on someone, they shouldn't take offense. As long as everyone keeps it civil and understanding of the others' views, we should all be good.
It isn't about philosophy. Read the lyrics to the song and it is about people who think they are "know it alls" and think their thoughts are absolute fact. Which I see on this site alot

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Right now I'm wondering if any Canadians have actually managed to order one of these players through this site. As mentioned above, the ZuneOriginals page that we Canadians reach is the US page, and the Canadian provinces are not listed there. If we change the URL to CA then we get a page that won't load past 15%.

Wonder if the post-purchase experience will be better than the pre-purchase?

Steve

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Spoilers: They need to clear their stocks to make way for new hardware.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Spoilers: They need to clear their stocks to make way for new hardware.
Wishful thinking.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscythe View Post
It isn't about philosophy. Read the lyrics to the song and it is about people who think they are "know it alls" and think their thoughts are absolute fact. Which I see on this site alot
Ah. I took the quote you gave at face value. But I understand what you're saying. I suppose sometimes we need to convince even ourselves, and I know first-hand that I can get overzealous when people start making good points against me haha.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Zune Originals, okay. Now will the Zune HD be made readily available to other Canadian retailers (bringing with it some sort of shelf presence), or is access (and promotion) expected to stay restricted to this single web portal?
And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Er, I'm actually curious if it will reach other retail channels. That wasn't a rhetorical question.
At this stage, no - the plan is to offer through Zune Originals only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Right now I'm wondering if any Canadians have actually managed to order one of these players through this site. As mentioned above, the ZuneOriginals page that we Canadians reach is the US page, and the Canadian provinces are not listed there. If we change the URL to CA then we get a page that won't load past 15%.
Update: we're aware of some issues here, hoping to have a fix in the next 24 hours.

As for this whole thread - let me be clear, this wasn't meant to be some kind of major announcement, Microsoft didn't issue a press release, we weren't looking for accolades. Frankly and honestly, I AGREE with you that it would have been awesome for the Zune HD to launch internationally in multiple territories back in 2009 - I'm right there with you.

Fact is though, we didn't. We can argue the merits of that decision elsewhere, but when given the opportunity to open up availability in Canada, we did so. I thought that despite everything, that was a positive. I still think that's the case.

Anyhow - hope that clarifies. If you're not in Canada or you are and aren't in the market for a PMP, then this shouldn't be a big deal. For everyone else, have at it. For those in other non-US countries, I'm afraid I don't have any additional news for you at this point...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 PM

On the plus side this does add some options ever since Samsung pulled out of the canadian PMP market. For a long while the only quality apple alternatives in retailers were Sanza and Sony. I'd get one if college hadn't left me starving.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:05 PM

why are new members so close minded, deathscythe if your complaining so much about the credability of the site and its users, why dontcha just stop posting and leave? would result in a lot less arguing about news. regardless of the reasons, zune hd is up for grabs for us here in the great north, thats it thats all.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSpear View Post
why are new members so close minded, deathscythe if your complaining so much about the credability of the site and its users, why dontcha just stop posting and leave? would result in a lot less arguing about news. regardless of the reasons, zune hd is up for grabs for us here in the great north, thats it thats all.
I don't think he's gone over the line. Actually, I think he's taken the same stance you are...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscythe View Post
Wait you say you pledge no allegiance to a company, but say your an sony fanboy. That just seems like a huge contradiction. Seriously if somebody doesn't agree with your statement they are an automatic fanboy or lying from what fact? I could tell that you don't like zune anymore. Fine, there is cowon, sansa, Android and stuff other than zune that is pretty good that could suit your needs(I don't know you so yeah)
Do you know how to read??? You talk a lot tho,... Recovering Sony fanboi,...

Get the facts straight, ramble on incoherently with the other fanboi's,...Zune in Canada WITHOUT a hardware refresh and real feature improvements is a ***FAIL***

You can't handle it, no es mi problema!!!

I used to be a huge Zune supporter,...MS screwed up. DaveMac-MS is fighting an uphill battle, but the actual Zune hardware is D.O.A. Enjoy it while it lasts, as your next Zune will be w/a phone carrier!!! Which, BTW, I find to be a HUGE improvement.

I never said I hate Zune, I just can't wait for the real progression to begin, and the current WP7 phones are just the beginning.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Clearing old Zune inventory as the Zune Team clear their desks I guess.

Too little too late as already said.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
Clearing old Zune inventory as the Zune Team clear their desks I guess.

Too little too late as already said.
Two short comments: 1) I'm not clearing my desk, and I do not expect to need to "clear my desk" anytime soon, and 2) this is not about inventory. Like any business, we want to sell as many devices as we can, as fast as we can. Pure and simple. This has been in the works for a LONG time (international approvals, etc...).

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

GREAT!!! Now bring out a Zune HD II, since the hardware is starting to become quite outdated.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM

If this is an honest attempt at trying to further the adoption of the product, and not just a way to clear out inventory then (ignoring the fact that it took 1.5 years to come to Canada) why won't it be available at places like Walmart, Futureshop, BestBuy in Canada?

And as Darkside stated, if promoting the Zune brand is important - then why is there no mention of the Zune HD 2? The current line is definitely outdated in many regards.

And when was the last time the ZHD had a firmware update?

Last edited by berklon; 02-26-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
And when was the last time the ZHD had a firmware update?
Let's be honest. The Zune HD doesn't need room for improvement, it's perfect the way it is! It surely doesn't need gapless fixed, more codecs, fixing hidden SSID connections, custom EQ, that dreaded 3 yr old multi disc bug, and things like that. It does what it's supposed to!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Two short comments: 1) I'm not clearing my desk, and I do not expect to need to "clear my desk" anytime soon, and 2) this is not about inventory. Like any business, we want to sell as many devices as we can, as fast as we can. Pure and simple. This has been in the works for a LONG time (international approvals, etc...).

Cheers, Dave.
Dave, I'm sorry but the past 5 years of Zune history prove that what you said there seems to have very little basis in reality.

All the evidence seems to prove otherwise. You have to agree the product lifecyle of the Zune has been pretty much the exact opposite of any other similar product in this market. Anything but straightforward.

Amazing Apple can release the ipad, a totally new product near instantaneous around the world.

MS can release 99% of its products around the world near instantaneous.

Smaller corps like Cowon/Sansa etc. etc. all have no trouble.

But the Zune...still stillborn since what...2006?

International approvals my a**e.

No one cares anymore. You just havent had the memo yet .

It was just a nice media player thats all. How difficult could the Zune team make it for everyone?

I was pretty spot on in 2009 -

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=20

Now we have the phone. MS has little use for the Zune so its clearing it out. Better than landfill like the Kins.

Last edited by daglesj; 02-26-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Buddy

Quote:
All the evidence seems to prove otherwise. You have to agree the product lifecyle of the Zune has been pretty much the exact opposite of any other similar product in this market. Anything but straightforward.
<snip>
MS can release 99% of its products around the world near instantaneous.
<snip>
International approvals my a**e.
<snip>
No one cares anymore. You just havent had the memo yet .
Look DaglesJ, I'm just calling as a) I see it, and b) as I believe it is. And I guarantee my view is better than yours. Now, that isn't to say that I wouldn't have done things differently if I was running the show - in some cases I would, and in other cases I wouldn't have.

Would I have launched internationally in 2009, or earlier, if given the chance? Of course I would have. But for a bunch of reasons, we didn't. I've been working on a large variety of Zune hardware projects over the last year or more - one of which was international growth. We had a window of opportunity to take the devices to Canada via Zune Originals, and we did it.

This isn't taking a warehouse full of devices and putting them on Woot. This isn't taking crates of devices and selling them for $59 at Costco. We're simply taking our existing online retail channel and opening up a new territory. If you want to call my desire to sell MORE units FASTER "clearing out stock", sure - go ahead. In that case, I've been "clearing out stock" since 2006.

Quote:
I was pretty spot on in 2009 -
You actually weren't "spot on" at all. You were completely wrong, and I wrote a number of posts spelling out exactly why these theories were wrong, describing how long it takes to build a product (like the phone) and how so much of the supposed "test" functionality in Zune HD was already done on the phone in time to demo it only a couple of months later at CES 2010. Not going to rehash all that again - I've decided this is the equivalent of Obama's birth certificate. All the facts point in one direction, if you want to continue believing the opposite, go right ahead.

Quote:
Now we have the phone. MS has little use for the Zune so its clearing it out. Better than landfill like the Kins.
Yes, we have Windows Phone 7. Which is also a Zune. I've been very forthright that our focus has been on the phone this past year. THAT was our hardware release for this past holiday. The Zune HD is still a great device (IMHO) but is now approaching 17 months old - and since I noticed we've not yet overtaken Apple in device sales, like everyone else in this industry I'm going to keep plugging away. That includes taking new initiatives like inflight and ZO in Canada. I'm not sure that deserves criticism.

And as for Kin - actually, both devices were "reborn" at Verizon and are still available. Frankly - they're a great deal if you're looking for that class of phone, they're awesomely priced and I understand there are a lot of happy customers. Sure, the initial release and subsequent withdrawal of the devices was not our proudest moment, but they've found a new life, and are doing just fine. Certainly not landfill.

But thanks for your thoughts anyhow.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Look DaglesJ, I'm just calling as a) I see it, and b) as I believe it is. And I guarantee my view is better than yours. Now, that isn't to say that I wouldn't have done things differently if I was running the show - in some cases I would, and in other cases I wouldn't have.

Would I have launched internationally in 2009, or earlier, if given the chance? Of course I would have. But for a bunch of reasons, we didn't. I've been working on a large variety of Zune hardware projects over the last year or more - one of which was international growth. We had a window of opportunity to take the devices to Canada via Zune Originals, and we did it.

This isn't taking a warehouse full of devices and putting them on Woot. This isn't taking crates of devices and selling them for $59 at Costco. We're simply taking our existing online retail channel and opening up a new territory. If you want to call my desire to sell MORE units FASTER "clearing out stock", sure - go ahead. In that case, I've been "clearing out stock" since 2006.

You actually weren't "spot on" at all. You were completely wrong, and I wrote a number of posts spelling out exactly why these theories were wrong, describing how long it takes to build a product (like the phone) and how so much of the supposed "test" functionality in Zune HD was already done on the phone in time to demo it only a couple of months later at CES 2010. Not going to rehash all that again - I've decided this is the equivalent of Obama's birth certificate. All the facts point in one direction, if you want to continue believing the opposite, go right ahead.

Yes, we have Windows Phone 7. Which is also a Zune. I've been very forthright that our focus has been on the phone this past year. THAT was our hardware release for this past holiday. The Zune HD is still a great device (IMHO) but is now approaching 17 months old - and since I noticed we've not yet overtaken Apple in device sales, like everyone else in this industry I'm going to keep plugging away. That includes taking new initiatives like inflight and ZO in Canada. I'm not sure that deserves criticism.

And as for Kin - actually, both devices were "reborn" at Verizon and are still available. Frankly - they're a great deal if you're looking for that class of phone, they're awesomely priced and I understand there are a lot of happy customers. Sure, the initial release and subsequent withdrawal of the devices was not our proudest moment, but they've found a new life, and are doing just fine. Certainly not landfill.

But thanks for your thoughts anyhow.

Cheers, Dave.
Windows Phone 7 was the Zune device of 2010. I can't wait to see what 2011 has to bring with the Zune. Now I can't wait until MIX(The website shows that the show is where they show the new zune generations and stuff) and Holiday Season 2011 to pick up my Zune HD2 with Windows Phone Marketplace and the 30,000 apps it should have by that time..

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM

umm dave, quesiton...still can't techincally buy a zune hd yet :P im having some kinda trouble and i want in on that 70 dollars off the 32 gig zune. any enlightments on how to get a northerner onto the track to owning the HD?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSpear View Post
umm dave, quesiton...still can't techincally buy a zune hd yet :P im having some kinda trouble and i want in on that 70 dollars off the 32 gig zune. any enlightments on how to get a northerner onto the track to owning the HD?
It might help if you explained the problem. Also, are you using the CA page, which finally goes above 15%?
https://www.zuneoriginals.net/ca/catalog/index.aspx

Steve