android
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Default Recommend me Headphones and some advice

As of now I am getting fed up with my skullcandies. I've wen't through a dozen in under a year and now the titans aren't really delivering what I am looking for. alright enough ranting now some recommendations......
I mainly listen to Metal and Prog(Rush). well 99% of the time. Mainly extreme stuff like Megadeth and Morbid Angel with the classics like Maiden and King Diamond. I am looking for a pair with a rich bass to the extent that it is easily noticeable, with having the vocals and guitars not sound with the drums being good of of course. I use a zune hd and the hip-hop preset gives the bass a huge boost and the other instruments to sound a bit warmer. But I am on a budget. I am thinking of getting headphones in the 60$ range as my limit and earbuds lower than 40$. If there are some that are a little bit higher or even lower please tell. Also need to be durable of course after going through the many skullcandyies.

Now could I have some clarification that do in-ear's damage your ears more than headphones or does it really matter. Also which one is considered more for having better sq.

Last edited by Deathscythe; 02-19-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 AM

It all comes down to preference and intended use, really.

Where will you be using these headphones? Inside or outside? If inside, you might want to consider the Grado 60i, they are the well recognized beater headphone of choice for rock fans since they have a very forward sound signature with a lot of mids (ie. guitars and bass are emphasized, bass in metal tends to actually be low-mid/mid-bass). They also cost exactly 60$. Also, I know that many metal fans completely adore the Koss PortaPros and they cost only about 30$.

If you want to use the headphones outside as well, the Grados wont cut it because they are open. You need to consider a closed headphone such as Sennheiser HD202 MKII (pleasant SQ, good bass, 55$). There are many other choices here, I believe the AKG K518 LE can be found for around your preferred price (or slightly higher) and they are extremely good closed phones with superb bass.

The characteristics of sound for in-ears and headphones cannot really be compared because they differ significantly. Both can sound really great though. In-ears with good isolation can be potentially safer for your hearing because you won't be forced to turn the volume up as high to drown out the outside noise.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 AM

I second jupitreas' recommendation for the AKG. I was going to recommend the AKG K518LE, since they are relatively cheap and sound great for the price, but I saw that jupitreas had already mentioned them. They are quite bassy, but if you remove the extra foam inserts from the cups they become much more balanced with nice mids and highs. You won't need he bassboost with these headphones as bass is strong already.
They are available in 7 different colors:

They are a bit plasticky, but quite durable as they are designed for DJing. There is also a model with a longer cord - the K518DJ. This one is all black. I think it looks the nicest, but the long cord doesn't work well for portable use. But you can always make it shorter yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron and stuff like that.

The K518LE are foldable and come with a pouch, so when you are finished listening, you can fold them up like this:

For a budget closed headphone, I think the K518LE are the best bang for the buck.

The downsides may be that they can clamp quite tightly. But if you strech them out over a stack of books or CD's for a day or so, the clamp should become a bit weaker. And again, remember to remove the extra foam insert in the earcups. Just pull it out. With them, the sound is VERY bassy and muddy. Without them, it is still bassy, but much more balanced.

I have bought the Sennheiser HD25 1:II for me and the K518LE for my wife. The Sennheisers cost 3 times as much, but they definitively do not sound 3 times better. The Sennheisers are more refined and the bass is more controlled, but other than that, the K518LE can surely keep up.

So I vote the K518LE. And any of jupitreas suggestions will beat any Skullcandy hands down. You cannot go wrong with eiter Grados 60i, Koss PortaPro or any Sennheiser phones.

If you are interested in ordinary earbuds, i.e. not IEMs, the Yuin PK3 is great. You can find them for around $40. But if you have to choose between the PK3 and the K518LE, I'd say "go for the K518LE".
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Last edited by Danneq; 02-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.