android
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Default Best "no frills" MP3 player for me?

I live in the US, and would like to buy an MP3 player. I need it for music only, would rather not spend more than $100. I was looking at the SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB, but was put off by the many negative reviews on Amazon (many of them complained about the sound being too low). I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Amazon comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. Quite a few I've read have nothing to do with the true nature of the item being commented on or show a lack of experience. This may be one of those times.

The default volume setting on the Clip if you pick Europe in the initial setup is limited. If you pick USA or The Rest of the World that limit goes away. You can change that setting at anytime. Folks show up here all the time looking to find out why the volume is so low on their Clip. Someone usually straightens it out for them quickly.

The Clip isn't the loudest player in existence but it will drive any reasonable set of headphones to ear damaging levels easily. It's recommended daily here as one of the best bang for the buck players in existence. I wouldn't let the concern over volume stop me from getting one.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

With my Sansa Clip+ paired with my IEMs, it is so loud it will blow my ears off at full volume. There is a possible you read comments from European owners, where the EU firmware has a volume cap.

P.S. I heard the same comment form a sales rep at B&H photo. It could also be the Clip+ is low when paired with inefficient phones.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

markko:

The Clip+ is the BEST little music player around. With any earphones that I have tried it can blow your ears off. Believe me I have done it accidentally when sticking earphones in a player set to full (see item 4 below).

Possible reasons for those comments on amazon...
1. european limit as already mentioned, and is easily overridden
2. ineffiecient earphones as already mentioned
3. earphone jack not inserted fully - when the player is new this can require a very positive pressure to insert, some folks have had problems with being too delicate - I didn't have probs wit the earphone jack, but the USB jack on my Clip+ was quite tight for a few months, it's fine now
4. people want to play it through a home stereo or car radio - it must be turned up to FULL to be effective - but the same is true of iPods, Zen Stones, etc etc
5. some songs are just naturally low volume - I used to have this problem with my rips of a couple of artists (Elton John and James Taylor, I believe) - other songs are too loud in volume though, so you'd think people would notice the variation if they tried a variety of songs

Have a read through the forums here. You'll see people having problems but tere are MANY of us here who don't have problems and love our litte Clip+ players (and our original Clips).

Steve

Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Something a little nicer might be a Sony. This Sony Walkman S-544 Series 8 GB is $85 right now at amazon.com

Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup. No frills but great sound = Clip+, Fuze, Sony E and possible great priced Sony S series devices as Olley mentions above.

With decent headphones and the above, you will smile...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Clip+ just sounds sufficiently loud to me (I have a ROW setting). Sure with highly inefficient IEMs, I'd prefer to use my S9. But, Clip+ is no laggard when it comes to driving IEMs or even headphones. I've used the 150 ohm RE-262 directly out of RB-ed Clip+ at about 80-85% of the volume. If it had not drained battery like crazy, I'd not have even used an amp. Recently, I even drove the old Fostex 'Thunderpants' headphone, which Cowon S9 struggled to drive even with the help of iBasso T3 - directly out of Clip+. Unless you want to get deafening loud, which many other players are capable of, Clip+ is a good choice for a no frills player.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
Clip+ just sounds sufficiently loud to me (I have a ROW setting).
Colour me dumb, but ROW? I have a railroad background and all ROW means to me is Right Of Way. Damn I hate acronyms that aren't defined somewhere or in very common use.

I should mention that I believe I read that if you use the EQ (equalizer) in the Clip+ that the volume is lowered. Not positive because I haven't been using EQ. If you want to use EQ on a Clip+, you should be installing Rockbox. It is reported to have a much better EQ.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 02-17-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM

ROW setting = rest of world setting

For us naughty Euro-geeks who want to avoid the European union nannying us into playing our music quieter.

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 AM

I liked my Sansa Fuze better than the Clip as a good cheap player. Sony S544 is nice but I've heard it has slow transfer speeds. Check the S544 forum here.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
I liked my Sansa Fuze better than the Clip as a good cheap player. Sony S544 is nice but I've heard it has slow transfer speeds. Check the S544 forum here.
I'm the opposite....I prefer the controls of the Clip/Clip+ over those of the Fuze, but they both sound good.

And yes, the S545 is slow to load music on, but it does sound very nice once loaded, and the battery life is very good.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'm the opposite....I prefer the controls of the Clip/Clip+ over those of the Fuze, but they both sound good
+1 to that. I liked Clip+ so much that I bought another as a backup.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

We own 2 Clips, 1 Clip+, and 1 Fuze (and 2 Samsung YP-Z5s and 1 Zen Stone). Guess which style of Sansa we prefer. We use them almost exclusively for music. I kinda like the album art, but I don't spend much time looking at the Fuze or the YP-Z5 while music is playing, so why bother. The biggest reason though is the clip. Even the player that is used with the car stereo is usually clipped to my shirt on the way in/out of the house, because I don't like to leave it in the car, especially in winter.

Currently wondering if the Clip+ will be replaced by a "Clip 2012" in Aug/Sept and what it will be like. Do I want to buy another Clip+ when I get a chance at a great deal? Probably should have bought the $35 Cdn 4GB one that I had in my hand in January. Oh well, there will probably be refurb'd Clip+ players available later than a year from now, as I can currently buy a refurb'd original Clip or original Fuze.

Steve

Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Another vote for the Clip+
I have no issue with the volume. The only complaint I have is that it feels lighter and cheaper, more plasticy, than the Clip it replaced.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 AM

Many thanks for all of your replies. I think I'll go for the SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB. By the way, sorry for the dumb question, but do I need to buy an 8GB card with it, or does the player already come with 8GB storage capacity?

Last edited by markko; 02-18-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 AM

To chime in on the "not loud enough" front I used to listen to mine on the lowest level possible and sometimes even that felt too loud.

The clip plus comes with 2, 4 or 8 gb internal capacity. That is the number stated on the box/marketing/whatever. In addition to that you can purchase a micro sd card to add 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32 gb of extra storage.

Tags
mp3, music only, no frills, recommend