android
Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissmo66
Yeah those are the ones. Sounds like you and I had the same concerns.

Yes they stay in the ear, although they are a little weird, but that's just because I've never worn in the ear style before. And after a 2 days wearing them, I like the in the ear style better than any ear buds I've worn.

Yes you can still hear outside noises, there not nosie canceling, however they do muffel most soft sounds, which for me makes the listening better.

Most of the time, for me the volume stays around the middle on the sansa. Some songs are lower some higher. But if I turn it up all the way it hurts.

One thing, I changed the EQ to pop, a little less bass, these phones seem to produce a good amount of bass.

Philips says these are "surround sound" ear buds, I don't know what that means but the sound is clear and full, and they fit well, so thats good for me. Plus there like 20 bucks, I can't imagine spending 200 or more on earbuds.
I may give those Philips a try. I've seen them recently at Walmart for around $15 so if I try them and I don't like them I can always bring them back easily.

Those Sony 888's look cool but not for $58. Plus I don't get the .5m cord length.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Workout earphones

I too am torn between the IEM and the 'clip-on style'. I know the IEMs give much better sound, but how resistant to falling out are they? From an old player I became very fond of the clip style since they almost never fall off...

I mainly would be wearing them when I lift/run. I I have been using the factory ones so far (which are pretty good) but they fall out when i am on the bench alot, which I find very distracting.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becominglumberg
I too am torn between the IEM and the 'clip-on style'. I know the IEMs give much better sound, but how resistant to falling out are they? From an old player I became very fond of the clip style since they almost never fall off...

I mainly would be wearing them when I lift/run. I I have been using the factory ones so far (which are pretty good) but they fall out when i am on the bench alot, which I find very distracting.

Any suggestions?
My IEMs never ever fell out... not while running, not while headbangin' to the music.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:10 AM

For jogging, I recommend the new Sony MDR-EX90s. They stay put. You can even yank on the ear cords and the buds stay in. It seems to be the angled ear bud design. For outside use, they are safer than most other IEMs because they provide less isolation from outside noise. The cords seem sturdier than other Sony EX buds. The sound is better than the CX300 (less bass boomy). I definitely prefer the EX90 over my Shure E3C.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpaqMan
The sound is better than the CX300 (less bass boomy).
The CX300 aren't "boomy", IMO. They do deliver enough bass, but it's articulated and textured - a thing that the Sony's can't pride themselves of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpaqMan
For outside use, they are safer than most other IEMs because they provide less isolation from outside noise.
Well, for me: good sound before safety!

Old 07-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Well I picked up a pair of the Philips HE591s (same as the 592 except in black) at Walmart for $14.72...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4809767

Just tried them out this morning and they sound pretty decent. Definitely better sounding than any of the earbuds I have. Midrange is a little bit subdued but good overall sound. The fit is good with the smaller rubber pieces (two sizes included). The cord is a little long and kind of goofy with one side shorter than the other. A symmetrical cord would have been my preferrence. I'll try them out in the gym on Monday morning and see how they work out for me.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 PM

Default New (relatively) cheap earbuds for X5L?

I recently became the proud owner of an X5L. This had the unfortunate side-effect of me requiring better earbuds!

On my laptop/sitting in my room I listen on my Sennheiser PC150 Headset and I've been blown away by the sound quality; things sound better on my X5L than on my laptop!
My portable player used to be a Sony NetMD player, and I listened to that with a set of (quite good, actually) Altec Lansing behind-the-headphones (Neodymium drivers for about $14). However, I decided I wanted something more stick-in-my-pocketable and so I bought a pair of Sennheiser MX500's. I worked sound for my HS theatre, and occasionally in college and I've been amazed by the quality we got out of Sennheiser equipment for the same, or less, than Shure and other equipment manufacturers, so I've been leaning towards them when i purchase audio equip for myself.

However, having just spent a sizable amount on my new PMP, I don't really want to spend a huge amount on a new set of earbuds/IEMs. In the IEM thread I noted that the Senn CX300 come highly recommended (no surprise here), but they seem a little much for my wallet at the moment (Froogle reports them widely available @ $70). A set of <a href="http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=437&subcategory=441&product=1 1397">Creative IEM</a>'s looked nice price-wise, but I wonder somewhat at their quality (the stock earbuds that came with my dad and brother's Zen's were so-so at best, though my Cambridge Soundworks surround system is amazing (Creative owned)). I've been eyeing <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=26-106-031">these</a> but I haven't really read any decent evaluation of their quality.

I don't go running/biking with my music, I just want a good pair of earbuds to bring along on trips and listen to music walking across campus with.
Or is there some other direction I should be looking?

Old 07-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Beltonius, get the Creative EP-630 instead of the Sennheiser CX-300 - they're nearly as good (some say they're the same) and cost less.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Beltonius, get the Creative EP-630 instead of the Sennheiser CX-300 - they're nearly as good (some say they're the same) and cost less.
I have both, albeit ordered via eBay and shipped from China, and they seem pretty much the same to me. I am, however, not an expert but I very much enjoy both; especially compared to any other headphones I've ever used.

Cheers,
Olde Bill

Old 07-21-2006, 01:55 PM

I just received my EP-630's yesterday and they sound awesome! Immeasurable improvement over my Senn MX500 earbuds I had been using when away from my desk before.

Thank you guys so much for pointing these out; I never would have found them on my own!