android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM

I hope the term "kinned" doesnt catch on

maybe the new service will be a play on the last marketing name that was successful like "Kinnected" or "Kinect Music"

I could so see a Microsoft ad "Are you Kinnected to the Social?"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
As I said, the iPod touch is an actual device. You can't compare an actual device to an operating system - one is how the device works... The other is the actual device AND OS.
I now see what you meant. Though there are some people who say the iPod Touch can't be compared to smart phones, which I think isn't true, because the iPod Touch is a smart phone, only without the phone. And at this point, the iPod Touch feels a lot more like a smart phone than a PMP.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Tweet from:
Michael Yaeger
@yegr Seattle and Redmond
Work for Microsoft on the Xbox LIVE and Zune teams. Good gigs huh? Music, Videos and Video Games!

"....and no we are not "killing" Zune."

They are just remaining consistent on their marketing strategy and plan – of flying so far under the radar that their own business forgets they exist when they put together the MS-Nokia Ecosystem/services images! LOL

Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20032076-75.html

Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 PM

And it was sort of funny how Microsoft paid a person millions of dollors just to come up with the Zune name.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM

At this point we've heard nothing of a new Zune being released, so it either isn't going to be released... or it will be but since we haven't heard a peep yet, it's already too late and will fail as a result.

The Zune is dead, anyway you slice it.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
an iPod Touch is not just a media player, it's more like a pocket computer or a high end smart phone without the ability to make phone calls.
Actually you can make calls with the touch via wifi!!! But I know what your point was.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM

official response reguarding Paul's comments and killing Zune posted on Microsoft's Zune Facebook page

Quote:
Zune Nation, let us give it to you straight: We’re not ‘killing’ any of the Zune services/features in any way. Microsoft remains committed to providing a great music and video experience from Zune on platforms such as Xbox LIVE, Windows-based PCs, Zune devices and Windows Phone 7, as well as integration with Bing and MSN.

at least MS was on their toes with this one (bet Paul got a phone call as well)

Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Zune Moderator

Here is the official statement from Microsoft posted on Zune's Facebook:

Quote:
Zune Nation, let us give it to you straight: We’re not ‘killing’ any of the Zune services/features in any way. Microsoft remains committed to providing a great music and video experience from Zune on platforms such as Xbox LIVE, Windows-based PCs, Zune devices and Windows Phone 7, as well as integration with Bing and MSN.

Thanks for being a part of this community, we appreciate each an every one of you! \m/ \m/

Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
They are just remaining consistent on their marketing strategy and plan of flying so far under the radar that their own business forgets they exist when they put together the MS-Nokia Ecosystem/services images! LOL
Haha! Well said!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Windows Phone Moderator

Right of Reply from Paul Thurrott (30:15 1st Set).

http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2011/.../#comment-6027

(copy here of my post at windowsphonesecrets)

I have a ZuneHD and a Samsung Focus. The ZuneHD is a true (and superior) PMP. Every single friend I showed it to in Aus reacted with a wow factor – especially when they understood the power of the US Zune Pass service (I had).

I will never understand why they didn’t push the ZuneHD internationally – and manage to setup the platform content rights for Zune Pass outside the US.

Maybe the WP7 evolution got to market sooner than originally intended, and resources shifted to there internally at MS, resulting in the Zune team just not being able to fulfil the originally intended product rollout/lifespan schedule….

Either way – WP7 (and all the success I think it will get through 2011 and into 2012) will carry a debt for the little old ZuneHD, and the intuitive interface and positive UI that went on to birth the WP7 “wow” factor of today.

All sentimental there. Still upbeat however, a pipeline of further ZuneHD Apps/Games coming through from Dave, and WP7 going from strength to strength....

Would like to see some gaming that can be played on WP7 vs ZuneHD (via wifi or similar - that would be fun with my sons!)...

Last edited by Strider_Aus; 02-16-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Zune Moderator

Paul is a load of Bologna, I've actually lost any respect for anybody at twit as they just seem like attention whores to me.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Yeah he's annoying as hell. Funny how he states that MS didn't mention Zune hardware in their statement yet it clearly says "Zune devices".

Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Yeah he's annoying as hell. Funny how he states that MS didn't mention Zune hardware in their statement yet it clearly says "Zune devices".
Exactly what I said!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 PM

They may not be killing off the Zune brand, but the outlook of Zune devices is worrisome. It's also a little scary that there hasn't been a firmware update in almost a year. That hasn't happened since the first Zune came out, AFAIK. That would be the biggest indicator that the Zune team are still working on the Zune HD. Apps and games are nice and all, but by no means show work being done like a firmware update does.

I really like the Zune HD. It's fantastic, and I guess that's why I'm so disappointed at the outlook for it and potential (but increasingly unlikely) future Zune hardware.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead View Post
They may not be killing off the Zune brand, but the outlook of Zune devices is worrisome. It's also a little scary that there hasn't been a firmware update in almost a year. That hasn't happened since the first Zune came out
It also happend last before the biggest update to zune to date. Zune 2 came out was a HUGE update. So maybe another huge update is coming? I mean we really don't know either way do we?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Tom's hardware picked up on this too:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Microsof...ews-10158.html

They kind of miss the point that microsoft may be ditching the "zune" name but continuing the services.

Additionally they mention a blip about the zune hd2 and how microsoft wants to target that against the itouch.

My question is where did microsoft EVER mention an HD2?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM

^ I read that yesterday. MS have never mentioned a Zune HD2. The closest thing I'm aware of is Dave has said that MS is aware of people wanting a phone-less WP7 though.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead View Post
They may not be killing off the Zune brand, but the outlook of Zune devices is worrisome. It's also a little scary that there hasn't been a firmware update in almost a year. That hasn't happened since the first Zune came out, AFAIK. That would be the biggest indicator that the Zune team are still working on the Zune HD. Apps and games are nice and all, but by no means show work being done like a firmware update does.

I really like the Zune HD. It's fantastic, and I guess that's why I'm so disappointed at the outlook for it and potential (but increasingly unlikely) future Zune hardware.
What do you need a firmware update for? I mean what do you want it to do?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonetwizt View Post
What do you need a firmware update for? I mean what do you want it to do?
I would like more codec support, a customizable EQ, better audiobook support, add "Podcasts" and "Videos" to the device marketplace, Silverlight or Flash support, better wifi connectivity, and general improvements and bug fixes. That's some of the things I would like, and I would like to see ANY of it; it's not like I need it to do everything. There's just stuff that can be improved about it.