android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Default MS no longer mentioning ZUNE in any keynotes/update speeches

So following on from the Nokia announcement (with the pictures posted showing services and ecosystem) where there was ZERO mention of Zune, we now have the MWC '11 keynotes address from MS, with again, no mention of Zune.

Then you have Paul Thurrott calling it a definite LINK....

Zune is being killed off by MS by or before WP8 (2012?) !!!

Hard to put any other spin on it. So what will MS be replacing Zune with ? Any ideas ?

I wish MS had launched Zune here in AUS back when they introduced the ZuneHD...looks like we will never have the chance to seriously get behind Zune here...

<sigh>

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-14-2011, 02:38 PM

I would like to possibly see some of the WP7 phones available without a contract if a Zune HD2 is out of the question. But either way, I need some better, more up to date hardware than the original Zune HD.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Zune is dead. MS is replacing Zune with Windows Phone. This is why Zune sux and I have switched to an iPod Touch, because some people like me can't afford the Windows Phone, and MS clearly doesn't understand that, and while I hate to say it, Apple does.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 02-14-2011, 02:50 PM

OHMYGOD!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Regarding the far right article on that paper...I can explain. He tasted delicious with a white-wine Garlic sauce....although it was more of an entrée than a main meal....

Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Zune is dead. MS is replacing Zune with Windows Phone. This is why Zune sux and I have switched to an iPod Touch, because some people like me can't afford the Windows Phone, and MS clearly doesn't understand that, and while I hate to say it, Apple does.
I'm pretty much on this boat too. The Zune HD is all the Zune brand has left, and it's very lacking compared to the iPod Touch 4G, and will be even more lacking compared to the iPod Touch 5G that comes out in September. The Zune brand had so much potential, but since MS isn't really supporting anymore, or making it competitive, they should just let it die.

I would like to see some WP7 phones sold without a contract to maybe compete with the iPod Touch (which at this point really is just an iPhone without the phone), but seeing as how they did with the Zune HD vs iPod Touch battle before, I'm not holding my breath for MS to actually make an appealing device compared to the iPod Touch.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
I'm pretty much on this boat too. The Zune HD is all the Zune brand has left, and it's very lacking compared to the iPod Touch 4G, and will be even more lacking compared to the iPod Touch 5G that comes out in September. The Zune brand had so much potential, but since MS isn't really supporting anymore, or making it competitive, they should just let it die.

I would like to see some WP7 phones sold without a contract to maybe compete with the iPod Touch (which at this point really is just an iPhone without the phone), but seeing as how they did with the Zune HD vs iPod Touch battle before, I'm not holding my breath for MS to actually make an appealing device compared to the iPod Touch.
The new iPod is coming out in September? Dam....I just got mine, technology improves so quickly lol .....

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The new iPod is coming out in September? Dam....I just got mine, technology improves so quickly lol .....
Apple pretty much has established a pattern of refreshing the iPod lineup and releasing a new gen of iPod Touch every September. That's also why if MS needs to be competitive, they can't go releasing a new Zune every 3 years, they need to reasonably keep up with Apple.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Looks like in the comments of the article Microsoft is just rebranding Zune but still keeping all of the services going.

Windows Media Center has the same problem that Zune does when it comes to public awareness of the brand (very cool stuff including the TV recording but unknown to most consumers) It would be cool to unify branding Zune, Windows Live and Windows Media Center under Xbox

Old 02-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Apple milks iPods like Activision milks CoD titles. New one every year. Hopefully if there is a new Zune hardware this year, lets hope it is enough to last and fight out apple for 2 years like the Zune HD did.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 PM

U mad
This makes no sense. You have no proof or any valid speculations to say whether they are abandoning it or not. The fact was is that that whole conference was focused on how nokia is partnering with ms and going to dish out some mobile devices along with an update that is coming. If they were not supporting zune then Dave probably wouldn't have that beta test for zune users and wouldn't stae that new apps are coming. Also didn't we have some strange software update recently? IMO it seems like jumping to conclusions over something that shouldn't be taken as a huge axe towards a brand.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Hey Deathscythe,

Appreciate your contribution and opinion....that's what forums are meant for - healthy discussion and debate!

Some comments;
A. I was posting as a discussion point - with a reference to a respected MS observer of many years standing (with strong links to MS) - Paul Thurrott.
B. My personal context is I have been disappointed that Australia never got Zune like the US (no music subscription, no ZuneHD) which I am on the record as saying are AMAZING, GREAT products.
C. I am an avid and serious WP7 fan and owner - and have a keen interest in where MS take WP7 (check the Windows Phone forums here)....

I'm sure MS are not going to abandon the MEDIA EXPERIENCE that is currently Zune - and the work Dave does and the whole Zune team does I'm sure has merit for being rolled into future MS plans.

It's just we don't have visibility of those plans. Zune as a brand has not been a huge commercial success for MS and never received significant marketing pushes. WP7 will get that massive push (just look at the $ investment in the Nokia deal!) - and in the first major ecosystem/directions statements we get post Nokia deal - Zune is conspicuously absent.

All healthy speculation (the heart of these forums!) - but thanks, I will book a psychiatrist appointment just in case

Old 02-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I would have thought that a senior member of the forum that you would have at least noticed that Dave has been saying all along that there are apps and stuff for the zune HD still on the way. I would have to say that if a company like MS is still investing money into development of apps that they still see some sort of revenue to be made from it.

Just because they are investing time into windows phone does not mean that the production of the zune brand is dead - they are trying to get it right. And also, you cant compare windows phone to the iPod touch. The touch, is a media player. A windows phone, by the title is a phone OS. Completely Different story. Windows phone obviously is a lot harder to code then what iOS is - iOS is used on all of 3 devices, whereas how many is windows phone used on?

The pricing is something you also can't compare, since a phone has ongoing costs (if you want it to maintain its usability).. An iPod touch techically does not there funds to maintain usability.

I don't want to sound like an arsehole, but I'm just a little tired of people saying "zomg, a new zune hasn't been released this year... It's dead!!!!" Yes, apple releases a new product every year, but as soon as another company doesn't, it is apparently dead.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Last edited by copeys; 02-15-2011 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 AM

what's a zune?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanime View Post
what's a zune?
Bless you,...need a tissue?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
The touch, is a media player. A windows phone, by the title is a phone OS. Completely Different story.
I beg to differ. That's the thing, an iPod Touch is not just a media player, it's more like a pocket computer or a high end smart phone without the ability to make phone calls. Not a big deal, but people have to understand that at this point, it's literally an iPhone/high end smart phone without the phone, it's not at all just a PMP, just like an iPhone isn't just a cell phone.

That's also why it MS releases new hardware, it'll have to be way more than a PMP with WiFi. It'll also have to feel like a high end smart phone without the phone to be competitive. Not that it's that hard to do...

Last edited by Darkhyperchaos; 02-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
Just because they are investing time into windows phone does not mean that the production of the zune brand is dead - they are trying to get it right.
I appreciate that Microsoft is still developing apps, but IMO, if they were really trying to get it right, they would have at least announced new hardware by now. MS doesn't understand that releasing a few apps now and then for an aging device doesn't really cut it, especially competitively speaking.

Last edited by Darkhyperchaos; 02-15-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Mary-Joe gets in on the act:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...be-kinned/8712

Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM

you do realize Paul Thurrott is a giant douchecake, right? He is not to be taken seriously.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. That's the thing, an iPod Touch is not just a media player, it's more like a pocket computer or a high end smart phone without the ability to make phone calls. Not a big deal, but people have to understand that at this point, it's literally an iPhone/high end smart phone without the phone, it's not at all just a PMP, just like an iPhone isn't just a cell phone.

That's also why it MS releases new hardware, it'll have to be way more than a PMP with WiFi. It'll also have to feel like a high end smart phone without the phone to be competitive. Not that it's that hard to do...
I'm going to stand by my original statement here -
Quote:
And also, you cant compare windows phone to the iPod touch. The touch, is a media player. A windows phone, by the title is a phone OS
As I said, the iPod touch is an actual device. You can't compare an actual device to an operating system - one is how the device works... The other is the actual device AND OS. You can call the iPod touch what you want, but at the end of the day it is a consumption device mostly - it can do other things, but I wouldn't want to be doing all of my computing on it. I would have thought that media device would be the most appropriate term

Quote:
I appreciate that Microsoft is still developing apps, but IMO, if they were really trying to get it right, they would have at least announced new hardware by now. MS doesn't understand that releasing a few apps now and then for an aging device doesn't really cut it, especially competitively speaking.
That statement about "getting it right" was focusing that they are now spending time developing the WP brand and getting that working good...

But I do understand where your coming from and for the most part, I agree. I reckon they should be producing new hardware, but then again, I am not Microsoft, I have no business experience, I cant build an OS or design hardware... I'll leave those decisions up to them.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter