android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Default MIX website seems to suggest new Zune hardware on the way.

http://live.visitmix.com/news/window...turn-for-mix11

Quote:
For the second year in a row, Joe Belfiore, who oversees Windows Phone Program Management, and is responsible for the design and software product definition of forthcoming generations of Windows phones and Zune devices will keynote MIX again.
Seems like new Zune hardware running WP7 is on the cards. Makes sense as both an iPod Touch competitor and portable Xbox. Also, it would increase the installed base for devs. Everyone wins!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Oh look MORE money for me to spend this year, PS3, PSP2(NGP), Video Games, But all in all Good news

Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendx View Post
Oh look MORE money for me to spend this year, PS3, PSP2(NGP), Video Games, But all in all Good news
I'm more interested in the 3DS it looks like it might be fun and I'm excited to replay Legend of Zelda: Orcarania of Time in 3D.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator514 View Post
I'm more interested in the 3DS it looks like it might be fun and I'm excited to replay Legend of Zelda: Orcarania of Time in 3D.
I don't know if I'd try it... That game can't get anymore awesome. It'll just be a let down!

EDIT: Oh right I forgot about the OP... This never says that there's a source confirming new Zune devices, and is really just the site/author's speculation. But they may know something we don't, too. It's nothing solid, unfortunately...

Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM

Im sure that there will be more zune hardware in the future, however this gave no timeline, and Dave already said that the WP7 was Zune's release this year

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM

2009 = Zune HD
2010 = WP7
2011 = New Zune

Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
2009 = Zune HD
2010 = WP7
2011 = New Zune
I hope! What would be cool is if they took a Surround, made it thinner by taking out the cell radio, add some storage, and sell it for $200-350 bucks.

Maybe even a on/off data plan, because it would be pretty cool to get Zune Pass anywhere.

Wishful thinking.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM

I will never pay over $250 got a Zune sorry.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM

I can only hope new hardware comes out this year.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
2009 = Zune HD
2010 = WP7
2011 = New Zune
I'm still sticking with 2010's zune being the 64gb. it fits what they've done in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
I hope! What would be cool is if they took a Surround, made it thinner by taking out the cell radio, add some storage, and sell it for $200-350 bucks.

Maybe even a on/off data plan, because it would be pretty cool to get Zune Pass anywhere.

Wishful thinking.
yeah.. WP7 OS isn't worth it since I JUST bought a Zune HD. lol

Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 AM

iI have a feeling that we will see the Zune HD running a modified Windows Phone 7 os which would open up XNA 4 on the Zune HD for development, Windows Phones Marketplace. Whether people think it could handle winpho7 full is not the case since it does not meet all of the hardware requirments but i believe that is let's use GPS as an app or game requirment, Zune Marketplace would only display apps or games that would work on the Zune HD using a simple filter if we had both Windows Phone 7 & Zune HD running on similar core OS's This would already create a huge user base doing the following;1) taking their newly upgraded Zune HDs and showing them off to freinds letting them know that Microsoft backs up their Zunes and gives new features during its lifespan similar to the Zune 30 upgrade when the Zune 2's came out2) developers can continue to focuse on Windows Phone 7 3) by doing 1 and 2 Microsoft expands it's userbase buying apps which means developer will have incentive to do more and will bring in more devs after thatSorry about the formatting typed from my Zune HDPlainy put: no new Zune HD but new development opportunities on the current ones via a firmware update with a new os. Wishfull thinking but very possible route Microsoft could take. Something like that and there will be at least a week of Zune/Winpho7 headlines on all the tech sites.Then scale the new ZuneHd Upto a 10" tablet and add, the courior interface as a app & You have a tablet of that could compete in the $300-400 range...

Last edited by winrez; 02-10-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM

I would not buy a modified WP7. Why? Because if I wanted the WP7 OS I would get one, I like my Zune HD's OS.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrez View Post
iI have a feeling that we will see the Zune HD running a modified Windows Phone 7 os which would open up XNA 4 on the Zune HD for development, Windows Phones Marketplace.
Not too sure about that. Dave just announced beta testing of new apps, but then again, we don't even know what it is.
It would be nice if it ran a modded WP7, because it would tie the platforms together, but I don't think it's likely.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 AM

I like the Zune's interface better than the WP7's. Here's my (probably impossible) idea for the Zune: get WP7 apps running, however they would do that, and give a couple of extras like a calander or a notepad in the interface, so you don't have to wait to load an app just for something like that.

Here is a question - Would it look bad/cluttered if the date is shown on the slide up screen?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmaster765 View Post
I like the Zune's interface better than the WP7's. Here's my (probably impossible) idea for the Zune: get WP7 apps running, however they would do that, and give a couple of extras like a calander or a notepad in the interface, so you don't have to wait to load an app just for something like that.

Here is a question - Would it look bad/cluttered if the date is shown on the slide up screen?
Well, if you put WP7 on the Zune, you would get the titles "Music and Video", and "Pictures", as music and videos use the same app. Basically you would have to go through two menus to get to your music. So they would first have to split the app, which should be done anyway. Stuff like the calendar is also an app, so could be added too.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmaster765 View Post
The Zune HD hardware is not able to run WP7, so let me be the first to quell that suggestion. WP7 has a very specifically defined chassis specification, which the Zune HD does not meet.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM

I don't think Microsoft thought that through when they were making the HD. They should've put similar specs from windows phone to the zune and then have everything running one os. i think that would be smarter and would've saved money in development costs.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There was a good amount of time after the ZuneHD's release and WP7's. Besides, they've made it clear that the intention was never for the ZuneHD to be like a phoneless-WP7.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM

If I wasn't clear enough, I meant only to say that maybe have it possible to run WP7 applications, not the entire OS.

Also, I suggested to have integrated into the interface simple, useful things, such as a calendar, notepad, etc. so that one wouldn't have to wait the 10 or so seconds just to use a calendar function.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm getting really angry at myself because I can't find the article that I read that said ZuneHDs can't support XNA 4.0 via firmware update. I might be remembering wrong, though...

I agree 100% with the second part though. Particularly the notepad. That would be the feature to me with the best applicability to ease of production ratio possible.