android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM

Default J3 Freezes while turning on after being disconnected on a mac

I hope someone would like to help me, I made a terrible mistake: I wanted to reload my little brotherís J3, but the wire got mix up and the J3 has been disconnected abruptly. And now every time that I try to turning on it freezes after checking album artworks.
It was his birthday present and I really want to fix it. Someone can help me? I donít understand other answers because Iím French.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Default Try Pessing the RESET Button

Try Pressing the RESET button. That worked for me once or twice.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM

use tcctool--- just run a search on the forums and ask one of the more experienced members. Apparently tcctool can unbrick any J3

Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"after being disconnected on a mac".

Famous last words. You have to be very careful with macs and anything but iPods. Drag the device AND it's SD card to the trash can on the desktop, and then a little prayer is always a good idea. Simply unplugging the cable is begging for trouble.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM

I had exactly the same problem.
Here's what I did:

1. I pressed the 'reset' button on the back of the J3, so the device could be switched on again.

2. I connected to a Windows PC, waiting for it to show up and then 'Format Drive', formatted it and it works great!

I think I could've used DiskUtility in Mac to format.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 AM

first format your j3 on a windows computer then download the Hidden Cleaner from the link

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27416/hidden-cleaner

all you have to do is drag the j3 icon on the desktop to the hidden cleaner icon when you disconnect the player

I just got my j3 and I ran into the problem myself but I found the solution on iaudiophile forum...

btw can someone tell me why my photo's that I added on my j3 is not showing on the player?

some jpeg images show but none of the png are

Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 PM

Hi

I posted a small python script you can run on your mac quite easily, that performs clean removal of all hidden files in your J3 (currently, not the MicroSD!) and unmount/eject it.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showth...t=36921&page=2

Please, change the file extension from txt to py. To run it, open a terminal window, go where you saved the python file, and enter python CleanUnmount.py at the command prompt. If everything is ok, you should have the script asking you the name of your device. You need it to be a ONE word name (not COWON J3 but COWON_J3) for the eject to work. If all is ok, all the hidden files, problematic for the J3 software to deal with, will be erased, and the J3 will unmount, and it will be safe for you to unplug it and start it.

Mine is really happy with the procedure.