android
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Buddy

Talking Found some beta testers!

Hi guys:

As I've repeatedly commented on here, our development of apps & games has not stopped - we have some great stuff planned for this year. And, I'm doing the best I can to balance your ABi requests, with those of the broader community.

But now I need your help. I have an APP (not a game) that I would like some additional test coverage on before it releases. I'm going to have a manageable number of ABi folks help me, along with a similar number of non-Zune team MS employees. I'm looking for breadth - geographical, demographical and any other "aphical".

Here's the catch. You will need to sign an NDA before I can tell you anything about it. That's a "non-disclosure agreement" - ie: you will be sworn to secrecy until the app releases. You won't be able to post about it here, you won't be able to tweet, blog, SMS, email, Flickr, YouTube or anything else - it will be something you'll have to use exclusively by yourself without sharing or showing others.

If that seems too hard, and for many it will be - save yourself a heck of a lot of trouble, and pass on the opportunity. I'd rather not have to deal with lawyers chasing down an accidental tweet or Facebook post. But, if you're willing to use an app on a daily basis for a few weeks and work with me and the team to let us know if anything doesn't work - then I'd like to hear from you.

You'll need to have:

1) A Zune HD
2) Wifi connectivity
3) 15-30 mins a day to run the app and engage with our team (over email will be fine).
4) The legal ability to sign a US NDA document.

Note that I expect a number of people will be interested in this - so I'll be choosing based on criteria I mostly can't share right now. Being an ABi member with a history of mature and thoughtful posts (versus inciteful or misleading ones) will play in your favour, however.

Interested? Here's what I need you to do. Email me (aussie@zune.net) with these details:

1) Full name
2) Full address
3) A contact phone number
4) Your email address
5) Zune HD capacity (16/32/64GB)
6) Primary & secondary place of Zune HD usage (home/work/college/etc...)
7) Do you have wifi connectivity at either/both of your primary/secondary place of Zune HD usage?
8) Timezone (will likely set up a conf call - so like to know here in the world you are - GMT+/- X is an easy way to indicate this)
9) Over/under age of 18.

Don't send me an email with questions about the app that I can't answer. I will only share details about the app once you are BOTH selected and have signed an NDA.

If this sounds awesome, but you're nervous about NDAs, don't think you'll have time, etc, etc... don't worry - you'll be playing with the app very soon once released.

Thanks everyone - please, no questions to my email account, just here. Oh, and no "applications" here, just to my email account. The community doesn't need to see your applications, but they might be interested in your questions.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited by DaveMac-MS; 02-17-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Excited to see this. I'd like to apply but I think I'd feel better just waiting a couple months versus signing a contract to beta test an app.

Good luck, can't wait to see some new content as I love the device.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM

Will you be able to send a quick reply to the emails, to acknowledge receipt?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Buddy

Yes - check your inbox.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Only people in the US? Or can people outside the US apply?

EDIT: I'm guessing not, since as signing a US NDA would be pretty much impossible?
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM

I'd be all over this... but my Zune just broke the other day, as you surely know by my devastating thread! But thanks for giving us all the opportunity Dave

Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

I would've loved to be a part of this, but the testing are for Apps, and I just wanna test games.

Hey Dave, if you guys ever need a tester for Xbox Live for Zune HD, you can count me in. Otherwise I'll just pass. Yo

Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Nice. If you want some help I could spread the word by posting a Zunited article. Also EMAILING.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Cool, cant wait to see what comes out of this

Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 PM

I would be a beta tester.. but i am afraid i will be a total noob giving crappy feedback lol

Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
Only people in the US? Or can people outside the US apply?

EDIT: I'm guessing not, since as signing a US NDA would be pretty much impossible?
Nope, people outside the US can apply for sure. That's why I asked for a timezone.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Great opportunity! Email has been sent

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM

And NDA for a Zune app? OK. Interesting. Hopefully we all aren't taking ourselves too seriously here! I mean, its a Zune app. Needless to say, e-mail sent. Thanks for the opportunity, Dave.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Zune Moderator

Gah why did I give my Zune HD to my brother! lol

Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubdirthill View Post
And NDA for a Zune app? OK. Interesting. Hopefully we all aren't taking ourselves too seriously here! I mean, its a Zune app. Needless to say, e-mail sent. Thanks for the opportunity, Dave.
Here's why. We don't do an NDA, we start testing and someone doesn't like some functionality. Or it's missing some functionality in someone's eyes. Or there are some bugs. That person goes and posts on Twitter how much XYZ app sucks, and Microsoft sucks, and Dave sucks, etc...

Regardless of whether there is any validity to ANY of it, the word is out, its re-tweeted and is a much bigger story than the app ever would have been.

When the app is finally released, the story is "Microsoft releases XYZ late, following missing features only identified by ABi member", or something equally as nuts.

You see where I'm going here?

Let me tell you - this app doesn't cure cancer. I think it is cool, but it isn't he functionality that is NDA-worthy. I'm just not going to have an efficient and orderly test period bogged down by early & errant press reports about bugs in unfinished software. You want the early releases? Then we all agree to keep quiet until we get a chance to address the issues.

Make sense?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM

It is going to kill some people who know others have the app, and they do not. It will kill me If I do not get a chance.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendx View Post
It is going to kill some people who know others have the app, and they do not. It will kill me If I do not get a chance.
Whole point of the NDA, they won't!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge View Post
Whole point of the NDA, they won't!
Not know who the person exactly is, but know that in general people out there in the Community is testing an app.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM

This is a great opportunity! I'd be really excited to help.
Testing has been a little fantasy of mine since I was a tad, but never thought I might get the chance!

Email is most definitively sent!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM

I use the internet through usb most of the time, but I am at school during half the day Mon-Fri(I have wifi there). will that hinder me in any way?

Closed Thread