android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Looking for cheap cans, possibly Kitsound

I've been trawling for replacements for my borrowed cans as awesome friend will be wanting them back (I think they're the panasonic rp htx-7 as the shape is about right) and I stumbled across these from Kitsound:

Click

I've never heard of the brand before, managed to find a video on youtube but in said video SC are being praised so I'm not going to use it as a basis for parting with my pennies. May simply buy a pair of the panasonics, as I see them recommended in a sticky, if they're still decent though its been a few years so not sure whats better now.

Anyone owned any kitsound headphones or know anything about them? Able to recommend anything else similarly priced (around the £20($30) pricepoint) I know I'm not expecting the world just want them to sound ok with my clip, laptop, and the tv late at night?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally I'd go w/the Panasonic HTX7, especially the "Ryan Sheckler" edition, seems to have better bass. Here they are w/a a Google search: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDMQ8wIwAw#

Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well aparantly "They are the Bizz" with 4 stars to boot, so how can you go wrong?

But on a more serious note, they are DJ headphones, really cheap ones. I have never heard them, nor have I heard the company so you could just take a shot in the dark with them. Like most other "DJ" headphones in this price category they will most likely be very bass oriented, sound muddy and not be too pleasant with most0 types of music. I would probably go with Sennheiser HD202's if I was on that kind of budget, or go with the Panasonics TDS mentioned, if the style is good for you.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

In that price range you cannot go wrong with the Koss portopros. They are one of the ugliest headphones around, but they make up for it with great sound..

Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I had those Panasonic HTX7's before....and they're not bad, with a little EQ-ing....but I have Portapros now and they sound far better. I guess it will depend on whether you want closed cans or open.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

My cousin is an amateur DJ and I find DJ 'phones really comfy, don't ask me why, probably something to do with the extra swivel I guess. I'm wondering about Kitsound as a brand though, might have a look to see if I can find them in stores and have a listen when I get the chance, I'm a sucker for a low price tag, not ready to risk my cash on an unknown quantity at the moment though.

Thanks though guys I'll have a look for the special ed panasonics and the Koss see which ones take my fancy, might pick them both up and return what I don't like ^^

Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Default A public information broadcast from the labs of Dr. KitSound

Addicted!

Maybe I can help. I’m a musician and self confessed audiophile. I developed the KSDJ’s to be the very best cans for cash out there.

KitSound are UK based and we deal in everything audio. Check us out on www.kitsound.co.uk for loads more details.

As far as the DJ’s go, the reviews on Amazon say it all. Click here

If you want to see exactly what you’re getting, check out an impartial unboxing on OverclockersHQ.

I guess you've already seen it, but if not, check out our promo video on our KitSound YouTube channel:
www.youtube.com/kitmotion

We could have definitely sold them for loads more and I honestly reckon they're a steal.

Plus, you can always send them back if don’t like.

If you go for them, let me know what you think.

Dr. KitSound

Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh brother. With a standardized advertising copy like that, you know you can't go wrong... especially if the rebadger/reseller has to troll forums to get any attention. The "reviews" on Amazon and Overclockers are worth as much as far as I can throw the reviewers as well.

These things look like any old pair of generic Chinese OEM phones, but who knows, maybe their drivers aren't so bad. Then again, they seem to be 50mm drivers - that's rather huge for a cheap driver, so they're probably going to be a bit slow and lacking detail. For that price one can't really expect much anyways.

For about twice that price you can get some real brand quality phones, the AKG K518: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...g+k518&x=0&y=0 - they sound exceptionally good for the price, they are built well, they even come in pretty colors. Those might keep you happy for a long time.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM

I feel kinda bad, I already have the Panasonics on order but couldn't find them in the special edition lol... also I'm pretty sure the dude meant clarity at the end of that video, unless clearity is some special weird audio term for something (sorry overclockers dude, I'm not normally a spelling Nazi but for now *heil*)

I'm a budget diva, I want a lot and I don't want to pay much for it, the Panasonics won out because I don't really like to gamble with my cash, trusting these guys when choosing my player was the best thing to do in that case, so I trust they know what they're talking about when it comes to headphones also. Win them over and you might get my attention

I did look at the AKG's dfkt, but they were just a bit too much money, though I see the black ones are £38 so I might be a bad girl and splash out twice or send the Panasonics back if the AKG's suit me better, thanks!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the AKG's will most likely trump the Panasonic's IMO. The HTX7 is a budget HP that has good SQ, but needs EQ'ing- as Marv suggested. Order the AKG's, try both out, send the loser back - I do that all the time, and I only lose a few $$$ on the return shipping.

Plus, we get to hear your opinion on which HP has the better SQ - and it's a win-win for us all in the long run.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 AM

DFKT- I am very close to buying the K518s. How do you rate the build quality? Good build quality is as important as good sound quality to me. For reference, should we expect them to be atleast on par with Senn PX100, builtwise?

Addicted- Apologies for hijacking your thread , hope you don't mind.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would say they're at least on par, build quality wise. The K518 appear a bit more sturdy to me, but that's maybe because the PX are foldable.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Fair one dfkt, sorry if I offended anyone… In my defense I’m not pretending to be a regular poster before feeding you my brand in the guise of fake appraisal.

We're a new UK brand and are doing our best to get noticed. I stumbled across this thread and thought I might as well stick my oar in... The ‘reviews’ on Amazon are all genuine btw including the one from mc Williams (who I sent a pair to road test as a DJ after he slammed them!)

I'm straight passionate about what we do and honestly believe that after listening to thousand of different pairs of headphones/earphones from £2.99 specials to £1200 electrostatic beasts (and everything in between) these are actually really decent sounding – price point or not. A lot more thought and care went into these than your average.

Good weekend to all

Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Send me a pair and I do a credible review on them. References to my other reviews can be found in my signature.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
I already have the Panasonics on order but couldn't find them in the special edition lol
So now that you have them, what's the verdict?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Lol, predictably I love them, they don't sound quite the same as my friends old ones but I'm guessing the sound can change over a year or so depending on how much abuse you give them, I just wiggled my equaliser a little bit and they're pretty darn peachy.

I tried the Koss but couldn't get on with them at all, I think it was mainly the fault of my glasses though, I didn't get to using them for long as I couldn't get on with the headband either (when my hair was tied up it sometimes got caught and pulled painfully, not a problem for people who don't adjust the headphones when they're actually on your head but I'm always fiddling with them, a bad habit really).

I've ordered the AKG's but I have a feeling I will keep the Panasonics whatever happens, they're just too comfy and retro lol

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, the Koss don't pull my hair because I keep it buzzed short, but I've heard it's torture for those with longer hair.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I don't think they're designed with women in mind, they're really cool to look at though, in the 'so ugly I like them' kind of way, shame really.

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, Mr. Dr. Kitsound, PhD, OBE. Not half bad for the price, so far.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Nice to see he's willing to stand up to what he believes in. It will be even nicer to find a decent set of cans at that price. Looking forward to the review.