android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Looking for recommendations. (Earbud design)

After looking and buying headphones of which none of them suited me, need some advice since I cannot find a pair that I like.

As an example I bought a pair of Monster Turbine PRO High Performance ( Copper) in ear speakers and was hugely disappointed with the sound, no bass and sounded very mono, plus always having to adjust them and forcing the bud into my ear. In been honest I did not know what to expect buying $400 speakers but it was not what my ears where hearing.

Before you ask, yes I did try the different form tips and went everywhere from there website to here, youtube etc to make sure I was correctly inserting them into my ear. Conclusion... just not for me.

Since I will be using them when traveling, I want something that are very portable, light and do not take up and huge about of space. I have always liked Over-Ear headphones but do not want a huge set of cans.

This is just an example, to give you an idea on the style of headphone I like.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H...22562&sr=1-138

Other then Apple and Sony, everyone else is designing in ear speakers that have to be "stuffed" into your ear canal to get the advertised sound.

As for the music I listen to just about everything, although I like Trance, Balearic chill type sounds. I like crisp warm sounds as if it feels the music surrounds you, base is a huge plus.

As for price range does not really matter, but again why pay $400 for a set of headphones when a pair for 150 just sound the same.

Most important thing for me is that they fit comfortable in my ear and sound great

I have spend many hours reading here and deciding what should I buy, I am open to other options if you think it is what I am looking for.

As for my choice of MP3 player it is a Sansa Clip with probably buying a J3 soon.

Comments and suggestions welcome ....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not an earbud type person, and as you've already noticed they are rarely mentioned here. However, the Yuin brand seems to get good reviews and comments.

Here's one thread from almost a year ago that may help you.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...highlight=yuin

Steve

Old 02-07-2011, 04:47 AM

I am an earbud user, and I might have some recommendations.

First, what is your budget? Over $100 is no problem for you?

Second, about bass response: earbuds usually do not have such a great bass response compared to IEM's and canal phones. What earbuds can have is great soundstage.

I own the following earbuds:
* Yuin PK2 & PK3
* Sennheiser MX760 & MX400 (it says "Sharp" on the MX400, but they are rebranded Sennheiser MX400 that I got with an old Sharp MP3 player)
* AKG K319
* Audio Technica CM700TI
* Sunrise Feeling

The only one I would not recommend out of these is the Sunrise. It is only focused on mids, so bass and treble sounds like someone put a blanket over them...

My favorite is the ATH CM700TI. The clarity is AMAZING and the soundstage is pretty big for earbuds. These are discontinued, but can be found at various places. Watch out for Ebay, since there are a lot of fake Audio Technica headphones there. Audio Technica released the replacement model ATH CM707 in December in Japan.

After the CM700TI, I place Yuin PK2 as my second choice. Not as detailed as the CM700TI, but still very good. Soundstage is much more closed in, but still acceptable. For Yuin earbuds, I would say that Ebay is pretty safe. Yuin is a Chinese brand, and it seems that those who make fake headphones prefer foreign brands instead of domestic ones...

You can also check out the current Sennheiser earbuds. The current generation is the x70 and x80 series, with the MX980 being the best and most expensive (around $200).
The former generation (released around 2006-2007) is not as good as the current one. The top earbuds, the MX760, however, is still worth checking out. It sounds great, but is almost too bassy for me.
The generation before that was released around 2003-2004, and the two best ones were the MX400 and MX500. They are the same with the MX500 having a built in volume control on the cord. I sort of prefer the MX400 to the MX760 since the bass amount is slightly less on the MX400...

Here are a few links to some threads about earbuds at another forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...top-10-earbuds

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...newest-earbuds

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...d-and-reviewed
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Last edited by Danneq; 02-07-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the info and especially the links Danneq.

Ordered a set of Pk2's and take it from there, some nice options above including the Audio Technica CM700TI. I'm sure I will buy a 2-3 sets of different models and see what I really like.

I will post my comments and up date the post when I get the PKs.

But again thanks for above info, this got me going in the right direction.

Fyi in my search I found this website that has a Excellent earbud review.

http://www.inearmatters.net/p/earbuds-roundup.html

Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 AM

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy the PK2. They do not have much bass, but I find that they respond well to EQing. They are far from the best earbuds you can get, but I find them to be a big step up from the earbuds you get with your MP3 player.

Now I found the best earbud review at Head Fi. I was looking for it yesterday but could not find it:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...19-ok3-pk3-pk2

If you want bassy earbuds, the Blox TM5 seems to be the best.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20

Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Yuin PK2's arrived today. Listened to music for about 1hr and so far I have no complaints.

If the sound can only get better then I am very excited for other earbuds that I buy over the next few months.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction

Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 AM

I'm glad you find them to be good. When I first listened to mine, I was a bit disappointed. I thought they were PK3 with a 2 instead. But after comparing the two earbuds more carefully, I find that the PK2 is better in just about every way compared to the PK3.

As I wrote before, the CM700 is my favorite earbud. Its sound is a bit like the PK2, but more detailed and the soundstage is much deeper and wider. It is not a warm and fun earbud, but more for critical listening. If you find it, be prepared to pay $100 or more.
The newer CM707 is supposed to be a little bit more bassy and fun, so you could try that one if you come across it.

I am curious about the 9wave NW Studio plastic version. The next time I go to Japan, I hope it is available in stores...

There is also the Blox TM5, Sennheiser MX980, Yuin PK1 and OK1, Sunrise AS Charm and 9wave NW Studio aluminum version. These are more expensive and higher tier. Often they are more difficult to drive for a MP3 player and benefit from a headphone amp. Also they all cost between $100 and $200.

Anyway, now I think you have some more information and know in which direction to go in your search for the perfect earbud.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Hi ...

Looking ahead I am deciding between the Sennheiser MX980's or the ATH-CM700Ti. MX980s I can buy right now, CM700s is another story.

After searching only place that seems to sell them are in the UK, here in the US no one seems to have them in stock. So you mentioned the newer version the CM707s, quick search shows there is this website that has them on sale for $78.

http://en.item.rakuten.com/auc-rizing/10001400/

Looks like its Japan's version of Amazon.com. $199 Vs $78 + some risk

But if there real and sound like the MX980s personally I think it would be worth buying them + saving some money.

What you think....

Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 PM

The CM707 were released in December in Japan, so I think it might take some time for them to get distributed outside of Japan.
About the CM700, have you checked this place out? http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-t...html?limit=100

I have bought from them once and I had no problems with them. Then again, I have not needed to return anything.

They have the CM700BW for £59.99. Then shipping worldwide is another £5.99 (or £19.99 for the worldwide express option). The BW version's casing is made from aluminum with bronze finish. The TI version is made from titanium. I think the sound is supposed to not differ too much. Just the TI version is made from a more exclusive material.

About Rakuten, it is very popular in Japan. It is like a big marketplace with many sellers. My wife is Japanese and we lived in Japan last year. She often browsed different shops on Rakuten. That place is valid and Japanese sellers are often honest. So that might be a good offer as well. You live in the US? Shipping might be around 1.500 yen ($18).

I have read that the MX980 are amazing, but that it might be difficult to get a good fit since the buds are a bit too big. What I like about the Yuin PK-series is that the buds are not too big so it is easy for me to get a good fit.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Again thanks for the links above, very tempting indeed. Well several hours of listening over the weekend, I started to notice that the quality of sound from the PK2s where getting better BUT on the right earbud the sound was getting softer.

Tried several sources to make sure it was not my clip+ or my right ear going bad, short version is, in order to "balance" out the sound between the 2 earbuds using rockbox installed on the clip it takes between 7-9 on the balance scale to get the sound even.

When you bring the value back down to -0- you can clearly tell the left earbud sounds louder then the right one.

Kinda disappointed but I understand things like this can happen, luckily I have been dealing with headphone.com, never bought anything from them before this purchase, but there customer service has been outstanding, wanting to make me a happy customer today another Yuin PK2 set has been shipped out along with a UPS label to return the earbuds I have.

What I do not get is why YUIN only offer a 90 day warranty with there earphones, + do not have any contact information or FAQs on there website. If something happens after 90days what options will I have, other then crap out of luck ?

Yes, the Sennheiser MX 980 are covered by a 2-year warranty, sure a little more money compared to a PK1, but I would think been able to call Sennheiser and having 2years would be money well spent or if anything for peace of mind.

In the mean time I'm very curious about the MX980's, so there probably going to been my next purchase.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 AM

Ahhh... That's too bad. I have read that Yuin doesn't have the best quality control. It's great that you could get a replacement. I bought my PK2 in early January from an Ebay seller. It was pretty cheap - $54 with shipping included from Hong Kong to Sweden. In June 2009 I bought one pair of PK3 for me and one for my wife and ours have been holding up well. I hope you just got a bad pair. (also I hope my pair of PK2 doesn't pull something similar...)

But I do agree with you on the lousy Yuin warranty. The Yuin buds seem to be prone to either volume inbalance or the wire in the cable breaking in the connector area.

Still, I think the cheaper Yuin earbuds and earphones (I've also got clip-on earphones Yuin G2A) are quite good when it comes to price vs performance.

The MX980 seem nice. I'll stick with my older and "lower end" MX400 (rebranded as Sharp) and MX760...
I'm still curious about your impressions when you've got 'em!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Yeah seems your right about the Yuin earbuds , just doing a quick search shows me some people have had the same problem as myself.

While I was doing that, came across this review.

YUIN PK-1 & SENNHEISER MX980 and more

http://www.headfonia.com/high-end-earbuds-review/

Reading blogs like this make me want to get a pair of PK1s, for me it does make me wonder how different they sound compared to the PK2s.
What does hold me back and it will really come down to this is finding a AMP that is small enough to be called portable and sounds excellent. I see all these so called "portable" Amps that are quite big and just do not look practical to carry around.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 AM

From what I have read about the PK1, they seem to be quite a bit better than the PK2. However, the 150ohm thing keeps me from getting them. For me the PK2 sounds great for portable use. In the link you posted, one of the people commenting wrote that he preferred the PK3 to the PK2, and that the PK3 sounds like a more unrefined version of the PK1. For me it is difficult to listen to the PK3 after buying the PK2, so people's tastes are different...

I have tried to keep out of the portable headphone amp business (well, except for getting cheap Fiio E5 amps for bass boost). Good luck in delving in to that jungle!

EDIT: For a portable headphone amp that is truly portable and more than just a bass boost (such as the Fiio E5), perhaps you could look at the iBasso T3?

The Blox TM5 seems more and more interesting all the time. But very rare. Apparently, they are made in very small batches at a time, so getting one is difficult.

Another person commenting on the headfonia review had some interesting views, considering that he owns all of the high end earbuds:
"I own Yuin PK-1, OK1, Sennheiser MX980 and Blox TM5 2nd batch.
I can say that the best are MX980 because they really sounds as big cans.
TM5 bass is not as good as the one in the review. They are only more 'bass biased' than MX980 and PK-1 with deafult signature but if you plug an equalizer and crank up the bass only the MX980 really sound good."

Last edited by Danneq; 02-16-2011 at 07:20 AM.