android
Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks musichound!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

In further checking, I am not sure now if there is new firmwarte. The link here is indicating the new firmware is 1.08, however, my X7 says 2.07. Also, I checked the actual Cowon site and I don't see any indication of any new firmware since 2.07 released in December. I could be wrong, but something smells fishy.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cowon comes out with Korean updates first, usually 1.?? versions. They use 2.?? and 3.?? and 4.?? for other countries/continents. Give them a few days to a week from the release of a Korean version to come out with the 2,3,and 4 version.

Added: There were 11 days between ?.25 (Jan 31) and ?.27 (Feb 10). If they are on any sort of regular schedule we should see ?.29 on Sunday or Monday (Feb 20 or 21).

Last edited by Olley; 02-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Cowon comes out with Korean updates first, usually 1.?? versions. They use 2.?? and 3.?? and 4.?? for other countries/continents. Give them a few days to a week from the release of a Korean version to come out with the 2,3,and 4 version.
Thanks, that's good to know. I am still shaking in my boots that I was almost going to try to upgrade with the wrong firmware.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Newbie here, having lost my beloved iRiver H340 with rockbox and 60gb a few months ago, I've been after a new hard drive player. My email to Cowon sums up my experience.

"Having not bought a Cowon product before it seems I have had a lucky escape. The Cowon X7 160 GB purchased from Amazon UK recently (and ready for return within a little over 24 hours) is the single worst electronic product I have ever bought and at no small cost. It is even worse than Zune and that is saying something. This comes as a huge disappointment as I had high hopes for the product, given its description in your publicity.

To have purchased a product that is rendered completely unusable within the space of a day through no fault of my own must be some kind of record. This includes at least 80% of the time trying to set the thing up and watching a screen displaying 'updating database' or, even worse 'error'.

After loading my files, which took three attempts and nearly 12 hours whereby the item would not go beyond 'updating database' and had to be reset. In between attempts, I managed to view the player working and was relatively happy as long it could continue in this way. However, upon installing my final set of files and waiting for another database update (after another reset) I was confronted with a 'resource error'.

After looking for information from more disgruntled owners on internet forums no answer was forthcoming so I thought I would update the software and this seemed to fix the error. Happy days! A chance to use the player at last.

This was to be short-lived. I then proceeded to make the fatal "mistake" of deleting a duplicate folder. A very long dramatic pause ensued, followed by the screen flashing a snowy, pixelated, palette of death. Upon the necessary re-switching on , I was greeted once-again by the lengthy 'updating database' and 'metadata' message. Once this was eventually over, worse was to follow. No files, or certainly not ones I recognised. Thousands of tracks are now labelled 'unknown' or 'X7 HDD' which makes selecting a song of choice rather difficult. Maybe selecting a song will help me to identify it but actually that's no better as the scrolling titles are now in Korean! Many more files are now completely missing altogether.

Connecting to a PC shows the files to (thankfully) still be there, I even tried changing the firmware again but these problems still persist in exactly the same way. Manually selecting 'update database' and reseting both have no effect. "

UPDATE: I have a replacement player I am trialling and the only way to keep it running is to never use the player to delete a folder/file and reinstall the firmware each time I load songs (no matter how few) to avoid the "failed to upload resource error."

Frustrating as hell.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 AM

the x7 is indeed a frustrating player but in lots of ways a great player....it is too big and the touchscreen stinks....that said I have transferred my music collection of 110 gb onto it by dragging and dropping it into the player and it functions perfectly thus far...the sound quality is fantastic....the 160gb is great and the battery life is top notch...i do agree it can be maddening and quite difficult to use at times but for a person like myself seeking top notch sound and a huge hard drive and battery life it works.....for what it is worth i also have the zune HD which i think is magnificent but doesnt have enough space for me

Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@christuffer: You didn't list the OS of your comp, how much you were trying to transfer, what type & format of the files, etc. This still leaves us guessing - so I'll take your post w/a grain of salt,...till you add the necessary details.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM

He said he's using a PC (not a Mac, I assume) - it really shouldn't matter if he's running XP or Win7, or something in between when the player craps out like that. Same goes for file formats - this is unacceptable for MP3, FLAC, Vorbis, or anything else.

I'm starting to suspect the X7 is based on the D2's firmware - since that was one of the buggiest and most picky players Cowon ever released, regarding databasing and such. It's clear that the X7 is based on outdated code and has nothing in common with quality players like the J3 or S9 - so my bet is the X7 is actually the "real" D3.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

But the X7 I am using now has absolutely no flaws. I transferred about 27GB of music, and so far I have yet to have a single issue.

However, I am starting to think the J3 is more "fun" to use, but I already have an iPod Touch for the "funnest" factor.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM

I bought the X7 in the middle of November, in fact the first day it was available in the UK. Twice it froze on updating metadata on startup which got resolved by reinstalling update 2.07. Since then it has been glorious! Transferred over a 100GB in one go. No problems whatsoever. Once I got used to the touchscreen, it became easy to handle. I think it is a great player for what it is. Perhaps it could have been smaller and the screen could have been amoled (pricier then, I suppose), but I knew what I was buying. People who have problems should ask for a replacemernt if bought from a reputable dealer. The thing is if all goes well, people generally do not write about it but they do when things go wrong. I feel sorry for the frustration caused to people with faulty X7s but when it works, as I am sure it does for a vast majority, it really is a fine player.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
@christuffer: You didn't list the OS of your comp, how much you were trying to transfer, what type & format of the files, etc. This still leaves us guessing - so I'll take your post w/a grain of salt,...till you add the necessary details.

Hiya. I am using Windows Vista (yes I know) the files are nearly all mp3 or wma. About 130 gb in total. I added just one album yesterday and was confronted with the 'failed to upload resource error' upon safely removing the player.

I am having the same issues with my replacement player so there is obviously a problem. I have used 2.05, 2.06 and 2.07 firmware

The firmware is acting strangely because, for example, word up and dictionary were listed but were not working and now the icons have disappeared altogether. Not that this is a big issue for me but maybe indicative of other problems. Battery life is also around the 16 hour mark, nowhere near 103.

I have read of someone else having the renamed or missing file problem.

One positive is that all my album is showing using a programme called 'bliss'.

Would be happy with the player if it could retain some reliability, unlike Zune which randomly deleted all of my files (and told me it was doing this with no option to prevent it) whilst away at the beginning of 3 months travelling leaving me musicless.

Still miss my rockboxed H340 and the options to crossfade and quickly build playlists, amongst many other things.

The lineout volume on the X7 is also extremely low and this is an issue as my player is often plugged into a hi-fi system.

If anyone knows a good user setting for use as a lineout whilst boosting the volume, this would be appreciated? Simply raising the eq can cause some distortion probs.

Last edited by christuffer; 02-20-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christuffer View Post

The lineout volume on the X7 is also extremely low and this is an issue as my player is often plugged into a hi-fi system.

If anyone knows a good user setting for use as a lineout whilst boosting the volume, this would be appreciated? Simply raising the eq can cause some distortion probs.
There is no actual line-out, I don't think, just the headphone out.....so in that case, leave the EQ flat and just pump up the volume.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IMO, if the X7 is really that much of a nightmare (ala' dfkt: "so my bet is the X7 is actually the "real" D3") I'd say to go w/an S9 or J3
(J3 is the move BTW).

Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

IDK, maybe I'm lucky but so far I have 0 problems with the X7. My decsion between it and the J3 is getting more and more difficuilt.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM

I haven't had many problems with my D2 either, and I would bet I wouldn't have any with the X7 as well, the way my audio files are tagged and maintained, and the way I load my players. But the issues christuffer described with his X7 are *exactly* the stuff that made the D2 a living hell for a lot of users, back in the days. Iaudiophile is full of the horror stories, with people even bricking their D2s on purpose and recovering them with FWDN or TCCtool to get them in a usable condition. I haven't heard such stories about Cowon players since the days of the D2, thus my random musings about X7 = 'real' D3 above. Future Tomorrow's thread is another thing that just doesn't sound like everything is sane with the device.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Default Tag?

What exactly do people mean in music when they refer to "tag(s)"?
I appreciate all those of you who see this as an opportunity to help some one, rather than as a source of amusement.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHound View Post
I appreciate all those of you who see this as an opportunity to help some one, rather than as a source of amusement.
Tag is what that most of the devices of last years can arrange your music library (by albums, artists, kinds of music, years, and even album cover pic)

Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHound View Post
Please read the Glossary for Newbies : http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...63&postcount=1

Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Mimouille: 2) and 3) - best to try a better tagging app than Jetaudio, for example MP3Tag or Tag&Rename.
Did you use that to get rid of your problems with the X7 ?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 PM

If you use a MAC do not consider the X7; it sucks! I have bought and used two Cowan S9's and had NO issues. The X7 just simply doesn't work with MAC in my experience...