android
Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Some more sleuthing on Yashima's (the driver manufacturer of the Ortofons and Grados) website made me snicker a bit. Behold the Yashima N20 - reading Grado's silly "family values" advertising about their Grado GR8 after that is just wrong, in my opinion. Seeing that they're just rebadged OEM phones makes their $300/$400 (GR8/GR10) price even harder to swallow, compared to the slick Ortofons... now I wonder how the original N20 sound, and how much they cost.
From the Grado GR8 webpage:

A proprietary wide bandwidth moving armature design provides the listener with unsurpassed performance.

Yeah? Proprietary to whom? (This statement implies to me that the design is proprietary to Grado.)

From the dictionary:

Pro·pri·etary (prə prīə ter′ē, prō-)

adjective
  1. belonging to a proprietor
  2. holding property
  3. of property or proprietorship
  4. privately owned and operated: a proprietary nursing home
  5. held under patent, trademark, or copyright by a private person or company

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 AM

I've been running the e-Q7 for over a year now and paired with a cowon s9. Easily the best sounding in-ears I've listened to and a noticeable step up from the Klipsch X-10's I was using previously.

Personally I prefer the cable on the e-Q7 to that of the Klipsch, it's more difficult for the Ortofon to tangle. Can't say I've ever had any noise issues with them either, no hiss, nothing, just a beautiful wall of sound.

The only review I have come across lately that trump the Ortofon is another Japanese brand, Final Audio Design whom have the Heaven S model, which at $500 in Australia is not cheap and $50 dearer than the Ortofon, but reportedly offers an even wider soundstage and a slightly better overall balance, which has me tempted, but the Ortofon are so good it's hard to justify dumping $500 on another set of phones.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 AM

I think the e-Q5/7 are a bit more refined sounding than the Heaven-S aka FI-BA-SB. Especially the treble on the Ortofons is always top notch, while the Heaven-S can show some sibilance, and sound a bit fatiguing to my ears.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
The only review I have come across lately that trump the Ortofon is another Japanese brand, Final Audio Design whom have the Heaven S model, which at $500 in Australia is not cheap and $50 dearer than the Ortofon, but reportedly offers an even wider soundstage and a slightly better overall balance, which has me tempted, but the Ortofon are so good it's hard to justify dumping $500 on another set of phones.
Here's my comparison of the Ortofons and Final Audios on Head-Fi, in case you're interested. Bottom line, all of them are excellent IEMs, but if you're happy with your e-Q7 none of the others is worth the upgrade.

Btw, I guess I've read the review you're referring to. IMO they overstated the difference between the cheaper Heaven A and pricier Heaven S. But I concur with them that the Final Audios sound slightly more open and airy than the Ortofons, presumably due to their vents. Yet I also agree with dfkt that the Heaven S is a bit prone to sibilance.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I guess the SM3 would be a better choice then, for an upper class IEM that might suit your taste. Their bass is more substantial than the e-Q5's, but they're still well balanced. Of course the SM3 look like something that fell out of a box of cornflakes, compared to the shiny Ortos... But then again, their treble is a tad recessed compared to both the Panas and Ortos. So I guess the JVC FX700 would be the right ones for you - but those don't isolate. Dilemmas, dilemmas...
There simply is nothing like SM3. I've plenty of issues with it's build, but none whatsoever once it's in my ears. Reading a lot about them prior to buying considerably reduced the brain burn-in period for their unique presentation. FX700 on the other hand is a diametric opposite on many, if not all things. If SM3 is 'smooth' everything, FX700 is 'substantial' everything i.e., bass, treble, fun. I prefer both to e-Q5.

With e-Q5 (which I got around the same time as FX700 and SM3), I expected a lot of things, may be a bit too much and got a little disappointed. But, I'm getting used to it and liking it a bit more now.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
Here's my comparison of the Ortofons and Final Audios on Head-Fi, in case you're interested. Bottom line, all of them are excellent IEMs, but if you're happy with your e-Q7 none of the others is worth the upgrade.

Btw, I guess I've read the review you're referring to. IMO they overstated the difference between the cheaper Heaven A and pricier Heaven S. But I concur with them that the Final Audios sound slightly more open and airy than the Ortofons, presumably due to their vents. Yet I also agree with dfkt that the Heaven S is a bit prone to sibilance.
Cheers for the comments on FI. They, along with Ortofon are very exclusive here in Australia with only one retailer in Sydney stocking both of them, and rating them up among the very best out there.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:25 AM

Dimitri is offering a $250 deal on the eq5, if you contact him before you order. Seems like a nice guy. Has me interested.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 AM

Ordered a pair and now just waiting for it to arrive. Replacement for my broken eQ7 but still it'll be interesting to see how the eQ5 sounds

Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Congrats! Do post your own feedback so others and know more...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck332 View Post
... Replacement for my broken eQ7 ...
How did your eQ7's break, are they fixable or can't you get a replacement via warranty?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 PM

The left sound was finicky which means that you had to twist your cord to get some sound on the left side. I bought my eQ7 from the classified section at head fi so no warranty for me.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM

I have been using these for a month. I think they are very good. They sound full and clear. Not the most bass but they still have good impact and detail. The fit is Great. One of the most comfortable iems I have ever used. They do stick out of my ears a bit. The cable is superb; it has a nice soft feel but tangles more than the Panasonic hje900 cord.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats Larch

Just for comparison sakes, when you get a moment can you compare the Ortos with the Panas in terms of general bass/mid/highs, isolation, soundstage, etc?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Vs. The panas, I find the ortos to fit deeper in my ear canals, so they have better isolation for me. The ortos are a bit more comfortable because of their lighter weight.The panas definitely have more bass. The Ortos sound natural and better to my ears in the mids/highs. Soundstage is good on both phones. These are two very different phones the ortos are more intimate/refined while the panas have big and bold sound.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ thanks a ton Larch. Your description helps me understand these Ortos much better.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Larch View Post
Vs. The panas, I find the ortos to fit deeper in my ear canals, so they have better isolation for me. The ortos are a bit more comfortable because of their lighter weight.The panas definitely have more bass. The Ortos sound natural and better to my ears in the mids/highs. Soundstage is good on both phones. These are two very different phones the ortos are more intimate/refined while the panas have big and bold sound.
Interesting...

I've never been interested in the Ortofon's but maybe so. But seeing as it looks like a side grade I might pass.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ thanks a ton Larch. Your description helps me understand these Ortos much better.
For satch nothing beats the pana's because they have that awesome electric guitar timbre that really relays the heart and soul of the tone. Honestly no other IEM has sounded as good for me yet for electric guitar driven music!
Past: Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, Ortofon e-q5
Demoed: Monster Miles Davis,

Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ I could not agree more! Since I predominantly listen to guitar music, the Panas are a godsend for me.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 AM

Tried a little cable mod on the e-Q5, for easier over-the-ear fit with the phones nested in the ear, not sticking out to the sides. I found some heatshrink that fits like a glove, I didn't even have to shrink it. I gave the cables enough slack, even if it doesn't look like it in the photos, they shouldn't be damaged by that in the long run.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Great idea, looks like a much better fit.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc