android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey bro...man, that sucks...

The Panas have a pretty distinctive sound sig IMO - they do so many things so well, no surprise a lotta folks like them so much, including me.

dfkt around here might be best to give you some advice on the next best thing.

Too early to tell, but I gotta say I am quite digging my Nuforce 700x. Read up on them online, they are relatively new I believe. Right now I am slotting these between my VBs and my Panas.

I also heard a couple of pairs of strong Nakamichis today - the ones from this thread:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...34&postcount=1

and the Nakamichi NEP E300, which cost around half the price at 70USD.

I thought both were quite good, at least to my ears. And I heard the Brainwav M3 that dfkt reviewed - extremely strong IEMs as well.

Man, really sucks about the Panas...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

whoa, wait...over the VBs? and they have a mobile version with a mic and playback controls? Where can I buy these?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Too early to tell, but I gotta say I am quite digging my Nuforce 700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
And I heard the Brainwav M3 that dfkt reviewed
dfkt reviewed the M2. M3 is the next, better model in that line-up. No more teasing allowed, we need full impressions soon

@steinburger1109,

That really sucks. Panas are a bit unique. There are a few other good IEMs which I prefer over the Panas, but they are not exactly an upgrade over the Pana sound, they do differ in one aspect or another. Everything comes down to your budget.

@IDVsEgo,

Mobile version is called NE-700M and is available on Amazon for $75.

Last edited by esanthosh; 07-26-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM

I'm in a same situation as steinburger1109 as one of the buds broke in half well still in my ear while listening to them. I read some very early impressions of the Brainwavz B2 on Hed-Fi and some people there are saying they're really good. I believe these are more analytical phones then the pana's but I think I'll be willing to sacrifice some bass for a pair of phones that are equal or greater then the pana's in clarity, driver speed, and separation.

I'm also considering on just getting a pair of pfe's because that company seems very reliable with warranties and if I'm just not satisfied by the bass quantity I can always pick up a Digizoid ZO - I've been kind of drooling over that combination in dfkt review of the ZO anyway . I'm curious how this combination compares to the pana's by them self.

I apologize if I'm slightly changing the direction of the thread a bit. I thought this thread is more or less about the concerns I currently have and should just comment on this one instead of starting a whole different thread.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Stien if you want a pair of Pana's let me know.

As far as upgrade SM3/Fx700/SonyEx1000/Atrio MG7/Fischer Eterna/DBA-02

A bit of paradox. Your preference may differ.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

and I happen to have a pair of Fishcer Eternas for sale...if your interested

Old 07-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Same but buy his instead I seen his situation.

Hope all goes well.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks a lot for jumping in, I've got some researching to do, it looks like.

@IDvsEgo, if those are anything like what I want and in my price range, You're definitely at the top of my list. I've also been thinking about your Zune 120, just so you know. Though, if I'm going in on some new IEMs, the 120 may have to wait.

@Confispect, I'll definitely keep you in mind as well. Thanks for the offer, but I have to contemplate life a little.

@nathan, no worries, bro, but you may be able to get more attention if you don't sidle in on an existing thread. I've got no problems with it, but just a heads up, it looks like a lot of people glossed over you.

@lestatar, I'll be waiting anxiously for your impressions on the Nuforce! How do the Nakamichi compare to your Panas?

EDIT: also, Confispect, thanks for the suggestions but 500 bucks is a bit much. Well, more than a bit... And what's the brand on the DBA-02? I just googled it and got a bunch of brake calipers...

Last edited by steinburger1109; 07-26-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Fischer Audio.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh. Those are also kinda expensive. :/ The Eterna's look very interesting, though.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM

At first i thought we might be heading in different ends of the spectrum that the pana's offered in sound quality but I'm looking at the DBA-02 too. the Brainwaxz B2 are also suppose to be pretty similar to the DBA-02 (even similar price wise as they're only $10 more) so you might want to consider them as well.

You might be interested in this thread from head-Fi because the guy done reviews on pretty much all the phones that Consispect mention. Despite the reviewer saying that he prefers analytical phones he seems to agree a lot with dfkt reviews despite dfkt preferring iem's with counter loudness. He also reviewed the Pana's.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...4#post_6492055

But yeah, I think it be appropriate for me to sit back and watch this thread before starting my own to avoid any redundancies of two similar threads occurring at the same time.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 AM

There's another choice - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...d-buying-guide. It's not exactly FX700, but is is really good as well - a bit more smooth with more forward mid range than FX700. If you are looking for sub-$150 IEMs, which are not analytical, that's one other choice to consider.

@nathan,

DBA-02/B2 are good. They do have speed, details + a crisp, extended, flat, forward treble. But, coming from Panas, sound stage and bass will be missed. Most of all, DBA-02 has a tendency to throw details in your face, which Panas don't do. If you are ready for that slight bit of that aggression, DBA-02/B2 are worth having. There is also Sony EX-600, JVC FX-500 in the same $150 range to consider.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, esanthosh. I've decided to help IDvsEGO help me and get his Eternas.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh, nathan, just to clarify, you said that one side of your Panasonic HJE900 broke? Is the other side still working? Because I have one working bud right now, and maybe we could strike a deal to combine our two broken sets to get one working set (I'd be fine selling you my bud for fairly cheap seeing as I just bought a new pair of IEMs). PM me if you're interested in buying mine or selling me yours!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What did you buy. Curious.........

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM

@steinburger1109: I've sent you a PM.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@Confispect, I got IDvsEGO's Fischer Audio Eternas.

@nathan, I'll be thinking about it. I can't remember if I sent you a PM yesterday when I read it and I can't check my sent box easily right now.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

steinburger1109, I also had PM'ed you earlier, in case you decided, in the end, to give up the Panas. since you had decided on new phones and had the cable that you might wish to dispose of--they tend to go bad on me and I thought it best to be prepared ...

Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh I got that message but nathan said he sold his cable already and I thought it might have been to you. Responding to your PM now.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Hey so I didn't really want to start a new tread since I wanted to talk about the Hippo VB....

I was wondering are these the best headphones for around the price range $80-$100 and what are its competitors? Also I was also wondering how well does the Hippo Box work and would it be worth the $20 dollars to get the $100 special or should I just get the hippo VB for $79. Also I have a 5th generation iPOD(rockbox) as well as a Zune 2nd Generation 80gb .... if that has anything to do with the sound. This would also be my first more expensive IEM since I currently own a Sony MDR-XB40EX for about a year now and recently I got some extra money and wanted to get some new IEMs.