android
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artic View Post
perhaps it's too late for the last FW but on my 1.22 fw I've noticed that with Variable Bitrate files the song ends previously than expeted: so there is a cut of till 10 seconds at the end compared with the same file played on pc.
anyone noticed the same bug??

lebellium if you want I can sed these files
I think you should upgrade to latest before describing this bug. 1.22 isn't the latest...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Samsung Moderator

Indeed, upgrade to 1.24 first.
Then try to reproduce this bug. If it is still present, send me the file(s) as soon as you can.
I personnaly did not notice that bug.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 AM

okay lebellium I've sent the link with some vbr mp3
let me know if you are able to reproduce the bug

Last edited by artic; 03-03-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Samsung Moderator

Yes I can reproduce it and after inquiry I found the issue: it is due to the album art: 570KB and 700*700 is too big. Although there is no official limit, I usually recommend using a 500*500 150KB max JPG album art.
So replace the album art (with MP3Tag for example) and you'll see it won't cut end of files anymore

That said, I'll see if Samsung considers that as a bug or if it is due to a normal hardware/firmware limitation.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 AM

Great Lebellium!! you're right! I've installed MP3TAG and changed the album art with one 500*500 50kb jpg and now R0 plays fine till the end!
and the files are much lighter
thanks a lot

Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Help worth upgrading to fw 1.24 ?

fw 1.24 has been out for a while now so I assume this question makes sense.

I just bought a 16Go R0 on a friend's behalf (I stick to my Cowon D2s), it seemed a nice pink & good value player @ 100€

My mate is no geek so I am going to set the thing up for him : unleash the max volume (bought in France where it's legally bound to be limited) fill it up with music samples from me & his son who lives near by me and last but not least, upload the best firmware, or supposedly so.

I received the R0 pre-loaded with fw...1.06 !! I guess it's worth upgrading anyway !!... but is 1.24 the best or would it be better to pick an older one ?

Edit p.s. And by the way before I start uploading..., does upgrading the fw wipe the data out ?

Regards,

Steph

Last edited by Stephmm; 03-10-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Samsung Moderator

The 1.24 is the best so far and a new one is coming soon.

Anyway, all download links for previous firmwares are in the sticked thread...

No, upgrading the firmware doesn't delete files normally but a backup is still recommended.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Your download is currently (2011-03-11) corrupted, I could not open it.
No big deal I got a fine one the Samsung website but I thought you'd better be aware of it.

Regards,

Old 04-18-2011, 03:31 PM

i lived (more or less) comparably satisfied with my R0 and the extreme obsolete firmware revision 1.03.
more frequent the player f**** around with different matters.
so yesterday, after a major crash (loosing all settings and data), i finally decided
to give 1.24 a try.

i did EVERYTHING! as recommended and more.
i even deleted every data, removed the sd-card, formated the f...., reseted the settings, switched to msc-mode, checked the integrity of the fw rar twice,
removed everything else externally connected, checked the latest drivers and so on
and so on....
firmware seemed to have been implemented fine at first.
then i copied (even in this case i was very cautious!) two to three folders after the
other seperatly, added a bunch of movie files (did NOT yet inserted the sd card) and....

GUESS WHAT!!
i dont need to tell you, right?!
i am so extremely pissed, i almost threw that thing against the wall, grabbed my
double-barrel shotgun and .... ah, what ever.

of course NOTHING works to revive that piece of crap! >:-(

if anyone has any suggestions, i would be very grateful.
i would even open that thing and stick a soldering-rod in it, if that would help.

edit: if YOUR r0 plays files, ignore every crashes, reboots, reformats needed and so forth!!!
my advice! just leave it be!
old saying, but i should have accted in accordence "never change a running system!"

Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Samsung Moderator

Nothing to do except sending it back to the after-sales service center

Old 04-19-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
I hope, really, that slade and mgue will release their tutorial on how to restore the r0, as they said in a post (probably). It is a tool related to freescale and not with samsung...
They are making money in this way, when you're out of warranty time! The best is also to ask samsung(I know it's impossibile) to implement a simple way to restore everything (lets say, keeping three buttons pressed while turning on)

Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
I hope, really, that slade and mgue will release their tutorial on how to restore the r0, as they said in a post (probably). It is a tool related to freescale and not with samsung...
I know, I have both tools and in a way, it's because of (or thanks to) me that you'll have to use a non-Samsung tool

Quote:
They are making money in this way, when you're out of warranty time!
Yes, I know, that's why I helped several French users for free

Quote:
The best is also to ask samsung(I know it's impossibile) to implement a simple way to restore everything (lets say, keeping three buttons pressed while turning on)
Already asked and nothing that may let me think that will change in the future

Old 04-19-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I know, I have both tools and in a way, it's because of (or thanks to) me that you'll have to use a non-Samsung tool

Thanks for the answers (and for your work, indeed)

Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
sorry, lebellium... i dont like that smiley in this context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
*snip* .... to implement a simple way to restore everything (lets say, keeping three buttons pressed while turning on)
that reads like an ipod method.
nonetheless, THAT would be very much appreciated!

Quote:

you have tools? like.... a remedy?

i will visit my dealer (for the second time).
if they dont change that thingie again, i will send it to samsung for last
measurement.

only... just thinking... will i get it back with 1.24 fw and.... what if it fu.... up again while just using it. the player. just filling it with data.
what than?!

as i crushed my ipods willingly and my old mp3-cd-portable-player met his
creator, i (dont laugh ) revived my good old sony walkman.
i would go with my md-player, but the battery is not working anymore and
....... NOT purchaseable anymore!!!!
damn you, industry!!!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Dang! You folks are a pretty patient and persistent bunch. It seems like the R0 with v1.24 is still very likely to turn into a brick eventually. Do you think this is a fair assessment, or do you think the R0 is still worth trying because only a few actually go bad? Is it a batch of hardware? After losing my Q3, I was seriously looking at an R0 because finding a Q3 is near impossible here. Now I'm having second thoughts. I want a player that will do the distance, not one that I am expecting to konk out any second.

Cheers,
Seth

Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Samsung Moderator

There is a risk (and there will always be a risk as the coming -and probably last- firmware only fix a bug of manual library update, no fix for any automatic library update bugs as no user sent me problematic files) for the R0 to get bricked but from what I've seen for more than 1 year reporting bugs to Samsung Korea is that the library update issue mostly occurs with "exotic files" (encoding format, unusual bitrate and sampling, big album art, long filenames etc etc). I unsuccessfully tried to brick my R0 many many times. Even with 'problematic' files from users I sometimes cannot reproduce the bug.
And with normal VBR MP3 files encoded with Lame and normal id3tags v2.3 I've never experienced any issue.

And bear in mind for any product: disappointed users are always the loudest ones. Then there is the silent majority....

Last edited by lebellium; 04-22-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Thank you very much Lebellium. You are very helpful and I am always amazed by such generous use of your free time to contribute to these forums.

It looks like the R0 may do just fine for me. Yes, I suppose the folks on this forum are the type to push the envelope by throwing lots of tricky "moves" at their players. I just want to listen to normal MP3s and podcasts and occasionally the radio or voice recording. The R0 with v1.24 may be great. I've also checked out the C2 and maintain some interest if it sells on these shores for a decent price. Will also keep an eye out for Q3s because I was really happy with that player. Who knows. I don't spend money fast, so it gives me lots of time to ask questions.

Cheers and I hope that Spring is busting out in your part of the world.

Seth

Old 04-23-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
*snip* I unsuccessfully tried to brick my R0 many many times. Even with 'problematic' files from users I sometimes cannot reproduce the bug. *snap*
i so honestly envy you.

Quote:
*snip* ....the library update issue mostly occurs with "exotic files" (encoding format, unusual bitrate and sampling, big album art, long filenames etc etc). *snap*
not as i could recall any files that would fit your description.
big album art and / or long file names could be a reason theoretically.

what ever "exotic" means, i presume you have also tried these kind of files, havent you? nothing happened? than i doubt those parameters are really the reason.
also... dont you think a player should either warn you about those kind of files? or just skip them?
just my thoughts.

Quote:
*snip* ....And with normal VBR MP3 files encoded with Lame and normal id3tags v2.3 I've never experienced any issue. *snap*
please dont get me wrong, lebellium. i know my questions could sound offensive. that is not meant to offend you!
but.... *that* sounds like
"oh sorry you bricked your player. you should have sticked to "normal". sorry we didnt mentioned that!"
again, no offence!
just dissapointed.
and i think my arguments are ok.

Quote:
*snip* ....And bear in mind for any product: disappointed users are always the loudest ones. Then there is the silent majority....
that is a very good point! and so true.
i never forget that one!
honestly.

must just be my bad luck. (sarcasm intended! )

how ever, thx for your time and help.
i mean that!
thx.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip^ View Post
also... dont you think a player should either warn you about those kind of files? or just skip them?
just my thoughts.
It's not about what I think or not, I just give you facts. Of course it would be better if the R0 could skip the files instead of crashing and it would be better if there was a hard reset to pass the library update issue

Quote:
please dont get me wrong, lebellium. i know my questions could sound offensive. that is not meant to offend you!
but.... *that* sounds like
"oh sorry you bricked your player. you should have sticked to "normal". sorry we didnt mentioned that!"
again, no offence!
just dissapointed.
and i think my arguments are ok.
The same here, I just give you objective facts. Using "normal" files is less risky. But I'm not trying to defend Samsung or so. Theoretically the player should not brick with any file. But Samsung and/or the 3rd parties (actually many parts of Samsung firmwares are made by 3rd parties companies) seem to be incompetent. There is nothing to do

And something that many people here never understood although I thought I was very clear. Samsung R&D doesn't read this forum, they are not soothsayer. They cannot be aware of an issue if nobody reports it. Yet, contrary to other brands, there is no official way to report bugs and I've always told you the only solution is to send me the problematic files. Many users just complained here without sending me their files so their bug has never been fixed. It's as easy as that

Last edited by lebellium; 04-23-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM

We need to think about the possible issue(s).

Could it be the id3 (V1) with strange characters? Does the R0 read the id3v1? Because I've already programmed some code to read them and if the coding of the text isn't latin or iso (don't remember now ) there could be problems...
Or the presence of bad tags? I don't remember well but there are some programs that insert some bad id3v2 chunks!
EDIT: found them in the python eye3d lib source!

# MP3ext causes illegal frames to be inserted, which must be ignored.
# Copied from http://shell.lab49.com/~vivake/python/MP3Info.py
# Henning Kiel <henning.kiel@rwth-aachen.de>
KNOWN_BAD_FRAMES = [
"\x00\x00MP",
"\x00MP3",
" MP3",
"MP3e",
"\x00MP",
" MP",
"MP3",
"COM ",
"TCP ", # iTunes
"CM1 " # Script kiddie
]

EDIT 2: @lebellium: have you got some bad files wich brick the R0? Not to test of course But only to analyze them and give you an hand to fix this f****ing bug! Also if now finally not bricking the device anymore....but only with old firm.

Tags
1.24, firmware, r0, samsung, yepp, yp-r0