android
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Lightbulb I'm looking for a mp3 player with these features.

What's happening, guys?

I'm a person who enjoys taking their own personal soundtrack everywhere. I own a Samsung Wave and have been using it as a MP3 player, but it drains a fair amount of battery, leaving me without a phone, which isn't cool at all.

I personally never owned a mp3 player, so I'm lost in a market of publicity and stunts. People over at the Electronics board on GameFAQs told me the Sandisk Sansa+ is a good device, but I've had nothing but trouble with Sandisk and their crappy microSDHC cards and pen drives which keep failing me (Kingston FTW!).

I've borrowed a SilverCrest SP-25 and a Creative Stone Plus from a friend but the sound quality... ugh, they sounded terrible even with my Sennheiser CX310 buds. Also, the SP-25 just screams FUGLY !

So, moving on to the juicy details, I'm looking for one o' them modern walkmans that do these things just right:

• All-around excellent sound quality, or at least good enough so that anything better isn't noticeable on my buds (CX310);
  • Supports FLAC;
  • Decent UI;
  • FM Radio;
  • Equalizer;
  • 4-8 GB, anything over that is overkill, but I'm not really strict about it;
  • Drag-and-drop;
  • USB;
  • Good battery life (anything over 10-12 hours is fine, though);
  • Tactile controls;
  • If possible, customizable GUI;
  • No hiss, please.
Also, I'm not interested in video playback since I'm already covered on that department by the wonderful Wave, and any price I have to pay is wimpy if the equipment is hefty.

What do you guys have in store for me?

Last edited by JFPP; 01-16-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Heya...The Sandisk Clip+, out of the box, fits like 98% of your criteria, especially the vital ones re: sound.

For customizable UI/fairly decent UI, add Rockbox.

Note: the screen on the Clip+ is text only, even with the addition of Rockbox. No album art/graphical stuff on that device.

But an amazingly excellent player, durable as hell, sounds great and is extremely well-priced.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 01-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Seconded - but if you want more screen real estate - then perhaps a Sony player. I do not know which, if any, play Flac - but someone else here will be able to tell you.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Seconded - but if you want more screen real estate - then perhaps a Sony player. I do not know which, if any, play Flac - but someone else here will be able to tell you.
Another choice with more screen space would be the original Fuze (should still be able to find one). Basically has every feature of the Clip+.

Steve

Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, these people are 100% correct in their recommendations: Sansa clip+ or Fuze. Add Rockbox into the equation and it's aural bliss!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM

So, you guys sure I'll get an enjoyable sound experience with that set-up, right? Also, how's component and overall build quality? All my beef with Sandisk was because of that and their slow, weak memory devices (compared to Kingston memories with similar specs).

Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Players like the Fuze and Clip+ sound excellent and adding Rockbox just improves their features and adds a lot more.

lossless formats are supported, and the players are robust - at least my clip+ is (haven't tried a Fuze.)

Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFPP View Post
So, you guys sure I'll get an enjoyable sound experience with that set-up, right? Also, how's component and overall build quality? All my beef with Sandisk was because of that and their slow, weak memory devices (compared to Kingston memories with similar specs).
Trust - I had been reading the reviews here of the Clip for about a year - I got a used Clip + 4gb on Ebay for about $27.00 a few months ago just to hear what all of the fuss was about - If it were not as good as everyone said, well then I would not have had too much invested in it, but if it were (and it is), then it would have certainly been forth the few bucks I paid for it, especially with memory expansion capability. It is sturdy, but looks unassuming and boring as hell - one reason I set it asside for the Sony and my Samsung Q1 when I first go it. I picked it up last Saturday and gave it a ligitimate listen - I have not left home without it since! Just the Clip + and a pair of Sennheisers is how I roll - but apparently you can make the player sound even better. Perhaps the Fuse has the same sound quality, if it does - and forum members in the know can speak to that more - That seems like your best bet. They are inexpensive as well, especiallly for what you are getting.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-16-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I take a Clip+ w/Rockbox installed just about everywhere I go....great little player. And I have a SanDisk 16GB microsdhc card in mine that also works like a champ.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Well, I've been searching since the first reply was posted and from what I saw here in the forums, the Fuze+ and the Clip+ have similar sound quality, and since I don't want video playback, Sansa Clip+ it is.

I have one last question for you guys. Is there any difference in music playback from the microSD/microSDHC card and music in the internal memory of the Clip+?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

No, none.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 AM

That's great. I'll look into local and online stores and see where I can find one new for the best price.

I'll be posting back when I buy it. Thanks all you guys for your help and patience.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Hey guys, I'm back. The Sansa Clip+ has finally arrived and it is charging right now, here next to me.

I have a question though, there's this little plastic on the screen and I can clearly see it doesn't belong there because I can see the blurred screen under it. But because the plastic is a bit tough, I'm afraid I might damage the screen if I just go and scratch it off. Any advice?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator

It shouldn't be stuck tight enough to need scratching. Just a fingernail under a corner and the whole piece of plastic should peel off easily. Enjoy your new Clip+.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

FYI: Get a case, as the screen will scratch and look horrid if you don't,...especially if you pocket it. Here's a few from a quick (and terrible) Amazon search: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...3581e9d8adf20c