android
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Default Size, dimension, and tagging for Album Art

Hi,

I do not have an MP3/PMP player yet, but I'd like to know a few things before I started organizing my MP3 files.

Currently my Album Art file size varies from 40kb - 2MB, and the dimensions range from 150x150 - 1200x1200. I have all the software needed to resize the images if needed.

1) Is it better to embed Art work in the ID3Tag, or leave it in the folder?
2) Will most players shrink and stretch Art Work to fill the screen size?
3) If not, what is the best standard Dimension for Art Work?

Thanks.

P.S. When I get a player, I'm leaning towards an Android one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdedo View Post
Hi,

I do not have an MP3/PMP player yet, but I'd like to know a few things before I started organizing my MP3 files.

Currently my Album Art file size varies from 40kb - 2MB, and the dimensions range from 150x150 - 1200x1200. I have all the software needed to resize the images if needed.

Thanks.

P.S. When I get a player, I'm leaning towards an Android one.
I can only speak to my own players (a few Sonys and a Sansa Fuze) and my own experience.

I've found that embedding the album artwork in the ID3 tag works reliably. Based on what I've read in these forums, for most users it works the best.

It does on my Sony players. I've had images that are 150 pixels by 150 pixels expand to fill the available display.

I've found that 240 pixels by 240 pixels works the best with all of my players. It displays on my player at real size, looks fairly good, and takes up only a small amount of space.

However, the specific player you purchase is a factor to consider. Some players can handle or might work better with larger-dimension album art. Also, the size of the image can play a factor in this too, some players might have trouble with extremely large images (to avoid this problem I keep the size of my album art to less than 100kb).
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I too find that embedding the album art into the ID3Tag works best. It is also easier to manage, you don't have to worry about adding a pic file to each of your album folders.

I can only speak for my own players, but on my Sansa Fuze, 100x100 works perfectly. For my iPod Touch, iTunes deals with the album art, pretty sure it resizes it, but don't know for sure, anyway, it looks great .

Good luck with your Android device !

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM

There's no simple answer to your question, since you don't have any specific player in mind. But yeah, in 2011, any quality player should play nicely with embedded album art, no matter the size of the image.

I'm using mainly 600x600px album art from AAA (= shameless plug for my own quality covers), but anything up to ca. 2000x2000px is no issue for the players I've been using. 600x600px to me seems to be at least "future proof" for the next few years, I wouldn't go lower than that and have to re-tag all my stuff once I have a player that has a really high-res screen.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't go to high, I found the pspgo struggle with anything over 700x700, but then again that is a pspgo for ya
But yeh as dfkt points out most modern day players should handle up to 2000x2000, like dfkt most of mine are 600x600 or 500x500.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wait, I'm confused. You're saying that 600x600px is best for album art, so I thought I'd give it a try. I download 600x600px images from the site you linked, and added them to the ID3Tag of my MP3 files using Mp3tag, and it re-sized them to 150x150. Is it supposed to do this or is there a setting I need to change somewhere?

Thanks

Retired Devices:

Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM

I'm only using MP3Tag as a secondary editor (Tag&Rename being my main editor), so I don't really know it inside out - but I never found an option in it that actually resizes album art. That must be some rather obscure error.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

huh, maybe it is, think I'll give Tag&Rename a shot instead

Retired Devices:

Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM

That's strange that your mp3tag converts your art, mine doesn't do that and i don't see anywhere in the options where that can be changed.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Strange, maybe it is an error, I just got a notification that an update is available, maybe I'll try installing the newer version. Or maybe the album art master can help me out with this problem (lestatar)

Retired Devices:

Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use Tag & Rename. What I did was use google images and hunt for all album art in the size i liked (600x600). Then I moved the pics into the album folder and called the file folder.jpg.
This then allows you to EMBED the folder.jpg into the mp3 files of that album (via Tag and Rename).
I did this process for 60gb worth of music, takes awhile i can tell you.

What I have discovered recently tho is that the folder.jpg which was initially 600x600 etc has been RESIZED down to 150x150, 200x200 or 250x250 etc, i.e smaller than what i originally found. Luckily the embedded art (that was originally sourced from the folder.jpg) has remained the original size of 600x600 etc).
Some program (winamp?) or indeed windows xp explorer has resized my folder.jpgs :S
Still as long as the embedded art is safe thats what matters.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, well apparently I'm going to have to look into this problem, because I'm having the same issue as you are, except mine get resized in the tags, and not the actual image files. For my Fuze, I use the .rockbox/albumart method, I don't actually have a jpg file in the album folder. For my iPod, I don't know, I just use iTunes, lol. But yeah, say I add a 600x600 image to an album, my tag resizes it down to 150x150 always, if I try to add a 400x400 image to an album, it always resizes it down to 225x225. Weird.

Retired Devices:

Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Aaah, that might be a hot trail here... I don't use WMP's proprietary folder.jpg naming scheme, I use cover.jpg. So the culprit might once more be crappy old WMP. I do everything so that POS app doesn't interfere with what I'm trying to do.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

hmm.. so yeh maybe folder.jpg not a good idea.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Aaah, that might be a hot trail here... I don't use WMP's proprietary folder.jpg naming scheme, I use cover.jpg. So the culprit might once more be crappy old WMP. I do everything so that POS app doesn't interfere with what I'm trying to do.
Good call that is probably the problem as i use cover.jpg as well with no problems.

I feel your pain Bruce as i have recently and still am processing tags and art on my 400gb of music lol

Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I'm only using MP3Tag as a secondary editor (Tag&Rename being my main editor), so I don't really know it inside out - but I never found an option in it that actually resizes album art. That must be some rather obscure error.
I've checked MP3Tag and could not find a way to resize album art within it. My own experience has been that it embeds the album art as is, without resizing.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeh, I'm pretty sure by now that WMP or some other automatic "syncing" stuff breaks the album art for those people affected, since they named it folder.jpg.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm still getting the error when I click "Add cover" in MP3Tag, select the 600x600 jpg file I downloaded, it then resizes it to 150x150. I still don't know why this is happening, I tried it on a different computer, with WinXP Pro SP3 instead of Win7, same music files, same version of MP3Tag, and it still resized it. Anyways, I'm giving it a rest for tonight, maybe I'll look at it again tomorrow....as of now, its time to try out replaygain

Retired Devices:

Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Why not just highlight the album tracks and drag the art into the album art box then hit save?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll try that, I thought that clicking add cover was the only way, no idea you could just drag the art.

UPDATE:
Nope, still changes it to 150x150. Thanks, though.

Retired Devices:

Tags
album art, cover art, embedded art, tagging, tags