android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones > Headphone User Reviews

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Some additions to the Klipsch S4:

1) The cleaning tool has been discontinued, so it is not included when you order them now. A shirt clip is also not included anymore, as well a one of the three sets of single flanged tips!

2) The pflug is now a straight plug. Durability seems to be fine though, better than the angled one.

Now my three cents: The large single flanged tips are not big enough for me - I normally use the middle-sized ones of the CX300 or AKG 324P. At a first glance they seem to be big enough, but the pointy oval design does not help in this regard. Because the silicone tips are rather hard, it is especially hard to use ones tips that are a little bit to small, because you would have to push them deeper, which then hurts.
=> Isolation is really depends on your ears in this case, which also weakens the bass a bit (which I actually prefer). But outside I can hear everyone around me.

Sibilance is okayish. I've had heard worse (EP-630). Could be better, but it works for me. A little harshness in the high tones is there, and I hope that it will fade after more burning in...

Still, I would by them again.

EDIT: After about 24 hours of burn in the harshness is still apparent.

But I could lessen the isolation problem by inserting middle-sized tips from old Denons into the large Klipsch tips. They fit very well so that the oval shape of the Klipsch tips becomes round. Worked at least for me:

Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; 05-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Forgive the long post but thought I would do my review/take on the Klipsch S4's while everyone else was talking about them:

I can first confirm what Pinkys said in the previous post concerning lack of cleaning tool, shirt clip, and change to straight plug. That's how mine were when purchased from Best Buy several weeks ago. Wish mine were light colored like those

In short, I hated the S4's before they got "burned in", but now they seem to be getting sweeter sounding with each use. I thought burn in was mostly a myth before I bought these but there's far too many people who believe in a burn in period to just dismiss it. True that your ears adjust to sounds over time and with parametric eq on my rockboxed Clip Zip I can halfway adjust the sound to my own taste also. I still don't think the S4's are perfect but they're sounding much better and I don't think it's all just my ears adjusting.

The manual references a "sport fit" option where you turn the phones sorta upside down in your ears as another poster alluded to. Turning them up into the ear canal like that is no big deal to me and the only way I can get them to seal good. It changes the sound dramatically for the better. Otherwise they sound like tiny 1960's transistor radios!

Although I have the upper bass eq'd down a good bit (-8 db at 120hz), the low end is tight and punchy, plenty enough bass for me. I guess I'm not a true basshead as I can't stand overly-boomy bass! I'd rather it be accurate, and to that extent with the warmness dialed down and a "somewhat" moderate eq boost (+6 db right at 20hz) the lower bass sounds close to accurate for me, even dramatic at times. If there's not much low bass in the recording you won't hear it with these phones. Reviewers elsewhere who complain about lack of bass probably just don't have them sealed good in thier ears.

I should also note that even with no eq I never thought the S4's were boomy or muddy, just way too warm-sounding for my taste. The rest of the eq bands are only nudged slightly compared to my radical bass adjustments. Upticked to 1.5 db at 15khz most likely to compensate for my age-related hearing loss, and this sometimes sounds like a little too much eq even for me.

The high end has never seemed sibilant, and has gotten better but still slight over emphasis sometimes, as stated above maybe due to my eq settings. I'm having to overcome noise when I use these at work and the high end eq boost helps there as well. Gotta love Rockbox!

Just listened to first few tracks of Jackson Browne's Hold Out, the ultimate sibilance torture test, at least it would be on old vinyl. Possibly this was just my cheaper hi-fi equipment back in the day, or in conversion to digital/remastering the album's overly-hissy-spitty vocals were improved. That, along with a few decades for my hearing to dull of course! Either way if any sibilance now, it's very very slight, not really enough to be disagreeable to me. Track 1 ("Disco Apocalypse") and Track 3 ("That Girl Could Sing") were the worst for sibilance, the beginning verse of Track 3 especially. The bass on "That Girl..." sounds awesome with the S4's BTW

Well, that's my take. Someone with younger ears may very well tend to agree with illusion's original review concerning the sibilance issue, or perhaps his ears are just very sensitive (a good thing). Older farts like me probably won't have to worry about that!