android
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 AM

Help OGG album artwork and JetAudio?

All my album art is embedded, the J3 displays album art for FLAC and MP3 but not for OGG files.

I think this is a known issue.

I submitted a request to Cowon and they have come back with the recommendation that I use JetAudio to edit album art, but as a Linux user this isn't an (attractive) option for me.

Before I go back to Cowon can anyone confirm that using JetAudio to edit album artwork fixes it so that it is displayed by the J3?

Thanks

Nick

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 AM

To the best of my knowledge, not even a single portable player supports embedded Vorbis album art. As for Windows (don't know about Linux), the only way I found to have embedded Vorbis art is to embed it with Tag&Rename, and play it in Foobar2000 - nothing else ever worked for me, no other tagging app and no other player. Vorbis album art was "standard-less" for the longest time, there was no official method to do it. No wonder that no portable player comes with a solution for it. Your best bet would be using ye olde external cover.jpg with the J3.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I was hoping I'd be able to get away from "ye olde external cover.jpg"! Hopefully I can use (find) a script to do this otherwise it's going to take ages to sort this out...

Info for Linux users - the Kid3 tag editor works with embedded OGG album art as does the aTunes media player application. In Windows and both MediaMonkey and mp3tag work with OGG artwork.

EDIT - you can scratch MediaMonkey from the above - I've just checked and it doesn't show embedded a/w for OGG files.

Last edited by NickElliott; 01-23-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 AM

You could try using the aoTuv SSE3 ogg vorbis codec
When I first started using ogg vorbis I ran into the same problem. I researched a bit and IIRC what I found out is that vanilla ogg vorbis doesn't really support album art. Even foobar wouldn't show it. Then I tried using the aoTuv SSE3 codec and and foobar displayed my album art.
I don't have a J3 but my O2 plays aoTuv SSE3 files perfectly. I don't know if it shows the embedded album art though since I just use the folder.jpg method.

Edit: Just tried it with embedded album art & the O2 wouldn't display it either. Jet Audio won't display the album art either.
Edit : The first time I added album art with dbPowerAmp and foobar wouldn't show the album art. I just tried again with Tag & Rename and foobar shows the album art with no problem but Jet Audio doesn't and neither will the O2. I don't like Jet Audio enough to bother trying to use it to edit the tags so I can't comment on that one.
I know you were trying to get away from it buy your best bet (if you want to continue using ogg) is to just put the jpg's in the folders with the music & name them folder.jpg.
I went ahead and tried to edit the tags with Jet Audio & I couldn't even figure out how to...

Last edited by leblabbiy; 02-06-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 AM

It's really a shame Cowon dropped their WavPack support after the V5. This album art headache is what sent me running to WavPack lossy in the first place.

Tags
album artwork, ogg