android
Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Awesome. I will definitly try this to my dead ZVM.
Thanx, danke.

phaw

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 AM

Awesome! My Zen is dead after a hard drive failure in October and this is the perfect chance to resurrect it!

However, apart from buying an SSD and simply replacing the drives, is there anything else I would need to do? Like formatting it or any other virtual action? Or is it simply plug-and-(literally)-play?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_ee_X View Post
Awesome! My Zen is dead after a hard drive failure in October and this is the perfect chance to resurrect it!

However, apart from buying an SSD and simply replacing the drives, is there anything else I would need to do? Like formatting it or any other virtual action? Or is it simply plug-and-(literally)-play?

Thanks for the help!
You'll need to format it (in the player) then install the firmware. After that you can load up.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:12 PM

This would work with a 30 gb ZVM too wouldnt it?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramillio View Post
This would work with a 30 gb ZVM too wouldnt it?
Yup, should work fine as long as the thickness of the SSD isn't more than the HDD being removed.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Yup, should work fine as long as the thickness of the SSD isn't more than the HDD being removed.
is there a difference in size between the 60gb and the 30 gb? from what i could tell from wikipedia, they have the same dimensions. unless its the 60 slim. so i guess the question is: which 60 gb did OP use?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramillio View Post
is there a difference in size between the 60gb and the 30 gb? from what i could tell from wikipedia, they have the same dimensions. unless its the 60 slim. so i guess the question is: which 60 gb did OP use?
The original 60GB ZenVM had a thicker drive than the 30GB & the white back plate was deeper to accommodate it. Then the later models had the 60GB that were the same thickness as the 30's which is 5mm the thicker ones were 8mm.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^what she said^

Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 PM

so my question to OP still stands, which is his? can i use the same drive or do i need to find a thinner one?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 AM

If a drive is 5mm it's a slim model.
If it's 8mm it's the phat one.

http://www.amazon.com/128GB-RunCore-.../dp/B002U4OVN6

Seems to be the OP drive ?
Says 5mm so it would be the slim model ?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Question SSD Brands

Well, I've been reading this thread and since I saw this
, the ZVM has become a stronger contender in my choice as my upgrade from mp3 player to Media Player.

I'm still a student at the moment and once I get a job I'll be springing for this mod, or I'll stick to a CF Mod until higher capacity SSDs are available.

Now, my question is: are there other SSDs that have the same controller (Indilinx Barefoot Controller) and are cheaper than the one godbes used?

It would help if the others who have tried this mod posted their successes or failures with the other SSDs so other people can avoid the pitfalls of buying the wrong SSD and waste money for shipment and returns.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godbes View Post
Hallo!

Now my ZVM Projekt/ dream has ended with happy end. I replaced the 80 GB HDD and fitted in a 128 GB SSD (runcore 1,8 zoll pro IV PATA ZIF, Solid State Drive for Macbook Air Rev A). It works great, now two month without any problems.
I'm trying to get a 64 GB pro IV runcore drive to work. I'm stuck at installing the firmware. I'm not sure if I properly formatted the new drive or not. I'm using windows 7, and I cannot get firmware version 1.62.02 to install. The computer just says "Firmware Upgrade Failed!." The Zen appears to detect the drive, but I'm stuck there.

I did not upgrade the drive's firmware. The full model number is RCP-IV-Z1864-MCA

My PC is able to read the drive when it is directly connected via USB adapter (edited). It only says my Zen has 50 mb of storage. What should I try to get this drive to work?

Last edited by Modulus; 12-20-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Format the drive again(while in the player thru the Recovery/Resue mode) & again install the firmware.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
Format the drive again(while in the player thru the Recovery/Resue mode) & again install the firmware.
I tried formatting the drive before installing the firmware, I tried not formatting the drive, I even tried installing the firmware after I had formatted the drive with the computer, via a USB adapter, in NTFS format. Nothing I tried seems to help. Either there is a compatability problem, or something on the Zen's circuit board is damaged.

I know the drive works, because I used the USB adapter to play with it while it was connected directly to my PC. The computer reconized it, and formatted and put files on it, WHILE IT WAS DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE PC.

The Zen recognizes the drive, appears to format it, and correctly reports the capacity (about 61 GB), but but the firmware installer will only initialize the install; it won't complete it. The error message I get on my computer says "Firmware update failed!"

The recovery screen does not change while the firmware update is in progress. The player says "Docked" at the bottom of the recovery screen, just like it usually does when it it's connected to my PC in recovery mode.

I'm thinking I should try to use another PC to install the software. I'm using a PC with a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 motherboard. Neither Win 7 or Win XP are able to complete the install.

I'm thinking some code in the firware updater (or the PC's USB system) is balking at completing the install due to some compatability issue with the new drive. I'm wondering what it might be and how to force it to complete the install.

Any ideas and help will be appreciated!

Last edited by Modulus; 12-20-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Use the Xp machine. You'll need WMP 10 not WMP11 installed for the updater to run.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:16 AM

Default Wrong Controller

well, according to this site: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/run...specifications the Runcore SSD that you have now doesn't have the Indilinx Barefoot Controller, so I doubt that it'll work for your ZVM, if it's still under warranty and you haven't opened it up you can send it back for one that has the Indilinx Barefoot Controller. Specify that you need this drive:
RunCore 64GB Pro IV 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD Solid State Drive for Macbook Air Rev A - RCP-IV-ZA1864-C

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/run...-pata-zif-mac/

Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 AM

Make certain the drive is formatted as FAT32.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkun View Post
well, according to this site: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/run...specifications the Runcore SSD that you have now doesn't have the Indilinx Barefoot Controller, so I doubt that it'll work for your ZVM, if it's still under warranty and you haven't opened it up you can send it back for one that has the Indilinx Barefoot Controller. Specify that you need this drive:
RunCore 64GB Pro IV 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD Solid State Drive for Macbook Air Rev A - RCP-IV-ZA1864-C

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/run...-pata-zif-mac/
Thank You! I should have thought to research what controller my drive is using. Unfortunately, I did open the box and iinstall it. However, I will see if they will exchange it for the RCP-IV-ZA1864-C.

For those of you who missed it, the one I have now, which does not work, is a RCP-IV-Z1864-MCA. Those two extra letter spell trouble. Lets see if we can get the specs down for a super Zen!

Old 12-22-2011, 02:25 AM

[QUOTE=Modulus;590125]Unfortunately, I did open the box and iinstall it. /QUOTE]

when I meant 'if you haven't opened it up', I was referring to physically opening the SSD and fitting the naked SSD on the ZVM. I'm glad you didn't as it means it's still under warranty. please update us when you get the replacement drive and install it on your ZVM. Please post pictures as well, that'll help a ton with the other forumers who want to try it out.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:25 AM

If you look at the first post of this thread, godbes used a RCP-IV-Z1828-MCAV to mod his Zen. I'm pretty sure the 28 refers to the 128GB capacity. Maybe MCAV means it's compatable?

The blue drive is what I have, the red one is what godbes used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC-IV-Z18XX-MCA.jpg (52.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 466357.jpg (12.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Modulus; 12-22-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added a picture of the drives