android
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 AM

Default S9 Poor Battery Performance

Hey guys, ive had my S9 from around 6 months already, but now I realize my S9 can only last up to 18 hours! (from completely fully charged to automatically turning off because of Low Battery) and not 50 hours as written in the specifications... anyone having this trouble too? with poor battery performance. should i get my S9 exchanged for a new one then?

version: 2.53
volume: 8-10
screen brightness:4
(screen turns off after 5 secs)
EQ: Dance

Thanks guys.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Dan, the latest version, 2.53 definitely uses more battery power but it is a very stable update. You can try rolling your device back to 2.52 and see if this gives you more life. I'm not sure what my battery life is because I've never monitored it. Also, overcharging your device can kill the battery life over time. Hopefully this is not the case. I will tell you that my device does seem to need recharging more frequently than it did when I got it a year ago. So, I suspect the firmware updates would be a major contributor to battery life.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:32 PM

mark, that's not a good advice.

if the claims dan makes are true he should contact the vendor, because it's within warranty and clearly a sign that the battery is failing.

firmware should never affect battery life...negatively. if it does it's "damaging" the product.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 AM

dead i pointed him to the manufacturer. If he has an extended warranty then I agree he should contact the vendor. I guess I should have asked that question.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:25 AM

thanks for your inputs guys... as for me, there is a noticable drop in battery performance when ever since I switched to the 2.53 firmware... Ive been reading forums and it seems everyone finds that the 2.53 drains more battery power compared to 2.52...

On the other hand, refering to the officiall spec sheet in the cowon website, the 55hour test conditions were with

"128kbps MP3, screen always off,switch hold, EQ normal, volume 15, and with bundled earphones"

and when i did my battery test the conditions were
-mostly (close to almost all) 320kbps MP3s
-screen off after 5secs
-"regular" usage of touchscreen to navigate and change songs
-32ohms impedance IEMs

and so if my logic is correct, just by comparing from the bitrates, 320kbps is 2.5times greater than 128kbps, so therefore the battery life with 320kbps should be 55 divide 2.5 which is 22 hours??
also considering the fact that a turned on screen and touch gestures do drain even more battery power, so 18 hours is reasonable? could this be said?

also, i wouldnt say that i have any clear sign of a failing battery, cuz ive also had around 18 hours only when i first bought my S9. and actually sending my unit for an exchange will cost me as I bought my S9 from amazon UK, but i stay in Malaysia. So its gonna cost me shipping fees and custom taxes to there and back. unless the exchange is worth it all. :S

whats your advice on this one guys?

also, I found an interesting read on how to charge lithium based batteries, which accounts for lithium-ion or lithium polymer (used in S9) batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries