android
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What an excellent, entertaining read. Too bad it had to end this way.
You have no idea, how I wanted it to work!!! The review starts happily and tends to deteriorate as I struggle with it. F1.23 is much better from a stability stand point (no freeze so far), but it's still infuriating that Cowon releases players for testing... I'm curious as to what Koreans think of the player and I would recommend Cowon holds the release of the player in the US and Europe until they have a more stable & performing firmware (Froyo).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 AM

Liked your review! Especially the first part describes totally how I can feel by receiving a package

Mine D3 is currently at the customs in the Netherlands, and now I've seen finally a first proper review.

Glad the new firmware works better and you've found the reset button

I didn't/don't expect everything from this player the first few months. At least you've confirmed it has great audio quality that was my main reason to buy it, no gapless is a bummer but at least there are alternative options and Cowon will probably fix it in the future like they did before.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:20 AM

So,there is reset button.
Now it appears that review done in haste without finding all facts.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit3192 View Post
So,there is reset button.
Now it appears that review done in haste without finding all facts.
Sorry, I did not live up to your expectations. Let me also contact Cowon so they outline the existence of that feature since, after all, it turned out to be so critical.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaalspoor98 View Post
Liked your review! Especially the first part describes totally how I can feel by receiving a package

Mine D3 is currently at the customs in the Netherlands, and now I've seen finally a first proper review.

Glad the new firmware works better and you've found the reset button

I didn't/don't expect everything from this player the first few months. At least you've confirmed it has great audio quality that was my main reason to buy it, no gapless is a bummer but at least there are alternative options and Cowon will probably fix it in the future like they did before.
Audio is fantastic. Once you get other the hiccups, you'll be quite happy. For me, Cowon needs to fix the "stuttering" I experienced during audio playback and the player will be usable; waiting for it to be awesome.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 AM

Hopefully a 3rd party player like PowerAmp, Andless or RockBox will resolve the stuttering. Can't wait. Damn customs in Holland, you never know when it will arrive. Can't wait

Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaalspoor98 View Post
Hopefully a 3rd party player like PowerAmp, Andless or RockBox will resolve the stuttering. Can't wait. Damn customs in Holland, you never know when it will arrive. Can't wait
I am sorry to say Winamp did struggle as well (but then again, I only tested with FLAC). I also tried the MIUI rom music player, which was better. Could not find a PowerAmp apk this afternoon and did not try RockBox yet.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Does BBE, etc... work when you use an android based music app.

Thanks..

Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Pretty sure BBE only works with Cowon's app, being very proprietary and closed source.

Globiboulga, does BBE work for videos? Or is the D3 as ridiculous as the O2/V5 in that aspect?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post
I am sorry to say Winamp did struggle as well (but then again, I only tested with FLAC). I also tried the MIUI rom music player, which was better. Could not find a PowerAmp apk this afternoon and did not try RockBox yet.
Don't be sorry

AFAIK you can get PowerAmp from their website. Rockbox is still in early stages, but it seems to support gapless playback.

At least Andless and Meridian support gapless playback if you use cue files with FLAC (use shntool to merge, works at least in Linux), not optimal, but I could live with that for the time being.

Edit: http://powerampapp.com/download/Powe...-build-296.apk

Last edited by Dwaalspoor98; 01-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

EDIT: It was noticed Globiboulga has edited his article and stated there is a reset button. It was a human mistake, and we are all humans, eh? So all negative posting should be avoided.

Last edited by musichound; 01-17-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you guys for real? Jumping on the ever so irrelevant factoid that Globiboulga missed the reset button the first time around, compared to all the valuable info he gave in his extremely amusing and well written impressions thread?

Compared to all the bullshit one has to read here and on similar forums day in day out, this seems like a severe pea counting overdose to me, getting hooked on that one tiny misstep.

Rohit, maybe you missed the fact that this wasn't a "review", but impressions of the player fresh out of the box, with - what I assume - quite the generous dose of malt liquor, and irony. I know he wrote "review" in his thread title, but come on - you can read between the lines, can you?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

IMO Globiboulga wrote an entertaining and well written review. It's just that I think the lack of a reset button is a major oversight by any manufacturer, and now that I know it wasn't left out, it revalues the scope of the player.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM

ah come on, that's total bullshit. he edited the review right when he found out and if you fail to read those edits, you are too blame for not being thorough enough. he mentions multiple times that he had to reset the device and he forgot to edit a small part of his review and you jump on it like a hyena on an impala carcass.

"There is a reset button (a useful feature, more on that later unfortunately)"

and then a few paragraphs later!!!

"Since there is no reset button and the battery is non-removable,"

i don't see the problem, only reading comprehension difficulty.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure BBE only works with Cowon's app, being very proprietary and closed source.

Globiboulga, does BBE work for videos? Or is the D3 as ridiculous as the O2/V5 in that aspect?
I happy to report that you can now set jeteffects within the video application!
And no, BBE does not work on Winamp or any other music application...

I did not know people would feel so passionate about the reset button. It's a shame, and once again I am happy to acknowledge my mistake there... Since I upgraded to 1.23, I never had to use it again anyway - and I'll update the initial review to let the world know!

Personally, I'd rather have removable battery. I'd act as a reset button and allow for more juice on the go. Maybe I should mention that in the review, hey?

Last edited by globiboulga; 01-17-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Excellent, having BBE for videos alone is what would make the D3 150% better than the O2 or V5, then.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Are you guys for real? Jumping on the ever so irrelevant factoid that Globiboulga missed the reset button the first time around, compared to all the valuable info he gave in his extremely amusing and well written impressions thread?

Compared to all the bullshit one has to read here and on similar forums day in day out, this seems like a severe pea counting overdose to me, getting hooked on that one tiny misstep.

Rohit, maybe you missed the fact that this wasn't a "review", but impressions of the player fresh out of the box, with - what I assume - quite the generous dose of malt liquor, and irony. I know he wrote "review" in his thread title, but come on - you can read between the lines, can you?
Agree.
Most prospective buyers count on review(initial impression) of someone who already got one.
As I mentioned in previous post that I will make(personal) opinion of this product after sometime(till some FW upgrades come).
I count on Cowon.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 AM

Globiboulga, when you have more time with the unit could you report on the real battery duration time? i'm wondering if it is as bad as cowon reports it to be (or even worse maybe?)

Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 AM

^there will be no single battery life.
It depends on sound enhancements,wi-fi on/off.
Further,it depends also on headphones used.
@Globiboulga:Take you time and post some pictures also.
I assume you have option to return whether it is 1 day or 1 week,so,give unit some time also.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 AM

Posted a video so you can get an idea of performance with firmware 1.23: