android
Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Default Just got a J3. Much happier now!

1) sluggish, not very sensitive (sometimes you need to press twice to get to a menu, these kind of annoyances...). I am NOT used to touchscreen so maybe it's due to this..?
2) battery life down to 25% after 2 hours (but ok, that was after charging it fully for the first time..?). Now back to 50%. I charged it about 6 hours ago when at work.
3)Clock randomly stops working. Right now it's over an hour late despite having set it on time earlier on today.
4) a screen this big and no way to access the current playing artist's album or other songs..? And the song/artist name written so small..? :s There's a lot of real estate left unused under the album art which isn't THAT needed due to the physical buttons, and yet there's nothing there...
5)Sluggish (again )
6) If I select all tunes and then select an individual song within an album, going back to the 'All' setting doesn't work; it keeps on playing only the album. Why this, while there already is a folder option..?

and I've just checked and the firmware is version 2.23.

I just saw the bug list thread so I'll dig through it and gather some info...

Am I seeing something wrong in this? I had a D2 before and the whole folder system was equally annoying, so I learnt to expect this and not care about it this much (Sony firmware and UI is incredible but it can't be everywhere...).

Anyway I'll go to iaudiophile.com and check out some user interfaces for the J3... I was really looking forward to it. Now I love tweaking so I think I'll be fine, but I'm just a little bit ticked off at it...

Note:

*I prefer using tags to navigate. I religiously tag all my files but I tend to transfer using drag/drop, so my folder management isn't 100% (though whenever I use MediaMonkey to transfer, I always go with folders for artists -> albums)
*As soon as I got it, I plugged it in and transferred files from my older Sony A729 to it (over 2,000 tunes)
*I'm really not used to touch screens... I got the J3 based on reviews that its screen was responsive and of course that it does have buttons. Maybe I was expecting better responsiveness due to my inexperience.

Last edited by Pierre; 01-15-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM

1. It's due to the fact that you aren't used to touchscreens, don't worry. My sister still can't use her S9 properly, eg she taps buttons below the button's touch area.

2. Here some tricks (which Cowon used to achieve the battery time they specified in the specs):
- During music playback, turn the screen off and only use the physical buttons
- Use the lowest display brightness possible

Of course it isn't realistic that you couldn't use the screen until the battery is empty, but turn the screen off as often as possible. It is the part of the player which consumes the most battery.

By the way, the player uses a Lithium Polymer accumulator. This means, it should never be drained until 0%. Charging it as often as possible increases the battery life (battery life means here the time until the battery eventually dies).

3. Happens here, too. I hope one day Cowon is going to fix it.
But the time difference here is only ~10 minutes, and not hours. Do you use the latest firmware?

4. Can be added using UCIs (see my response in the Aero Music UCI thread, you'll get this feature, soon ).

5. -> 1.

6. Can't give you an answer here. I use folder browsing.

Last edited by Kizune; 01-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks Feels better now, I'll just not use it for time, practice on my finger pointing and install your UI for now!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
3)Clock randomly stops working. Right now it's over an hour late despite having set it on time earlier on today.
If this is THE "clock stops working" symptom, then nobody seems to have been able to retrace whatever steps they had gone through that kicked it off in the first place, though many of us have run into this problem.

Anyway, the problem is characterized as follows: (a) the time-of-day clock STOPS progressing when the J3 is powered on, and (b) the time-of-day clock STARTS progressing when the J3 is powered off. So as long as you have it on, the time-of-day seems frozen. But as soon as you turn it off, and it restarts by itself, it remains active until you next turn it back on. So when you check the new time-of-day it may seem "random" but it's really not. It has simply advanced for as long as you had it powered off, only to stop working again now that you've powered it on.

So, if your problem is THE problem, you might get things back to normal with a [seemingly random and unrelated] solution which has worked for many: just go into the FM radio app. That's all.

The mere entry into that sub-system of the J3 software seems to kickstart the clock back into normal. Obviously whatever you/we did to cause the time-of-day clock to enter this crazy frozen-when-powered-on / running-when-powered-off state must be a software glitch. And something about running the FM radio app seems to overcome that state and reset the time-of-day clock to once again behave properly.

Just a suggestion you might try.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
4) a screen this big and no way to access the current playing artist's album or other songs..?
Maybe I don't understand what you're complaining about here, but when you're playing a current track (in portrait mode, so that the Player is playing with a blue title bar at the top of the screen) and you tap onto the horizontal lines at the left side of the title bar, you get an interface that has a series of icons at the bottom of the screen. It also shows the text list of the tracks in the currently playing album.

The leftmost icon at the bottom looks like a right-angle arrow (point pointing upward), which if you tap it brings you back to highest-level music browser state. This shows the major tag fields for browsing (albums, artists, songs, years, genres, etc.), from which you can then browse into and downward to navigate as you want.

The second icon from the left is left-pointing arrow, which is the "back" function, to pop back up one level in whatever navigation brought you down to where you currently are and from which you actually started playing the track you're listening to. Typically, this would take you back to the album folder containing the current track... however you got into it. The list of songs shown is the list of tracks in that album folder, including the track currently playing. Tap the left-arrow icon a second time and you'll navigate "back" up one more level, this time typically into the artist list, showing all the albums for that artist, as well as [All tracks] at the top to present all tracks from all albums for that artist. One of those albums is likely the one you tapped in the first place, browsing down through artist and album, to cause the playing of the track which you're currently playing.

Is this downward (from Music -> tag field -> artist -> album) and upward (lines -> back-up-one-level or lines -> back-to-top-tag-level) not sufficient?

If the onscreen text is too small, you can use "gestures" (i.e. stretch horizontally) to enlarge/reduce the font size, although I think you may feel that the resulting text truncation (if it goes beyond the right side of the screen) loss is not worth the added visibility of the fewer remaining characters.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM

regarding 4) you can have that in "cover flow" mode, while holding the player horizontal (must be enabled in the music browser menu). once you select an album it will show you the cover art and on the right you will have all files/songs.

about battery life. this is a li-po battery. it came uncharged and will unfold it's full capacity after a few charges. don't let it drain fully too often, as already mentioned, it's not that good for the battery. a healthy 20-40% is advisable before charging. it will help keeping the battery in good shape.

the J3 is not sluggish at all. it's not as fast as a smartphone or a ipod touch/zune hd but it's very good. i never had a touchscreen device before and haven't really fiddled with devices either (5 minutes with an iphone 3g and some shitty resistive nokia...multiple devices testes at brick and mortars) and i find it a rather good experience which is complimented with the tactile buttons (although the button layout is not the best 5 buttons/rockers on the right and one on the left, it would have been a good idea to have the volume rocker at top left, whatever).

the clock has been working for me from the very beginning. i can't remember it gaining or losing minutes or even stopping. i updated to 2.23 right away. it has been working for over 3 months now.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

J3 Sluggish?
Nope.
Not even with memory card.
BTW: upgrade firmware to 2.23 if it came with old firmware.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Ok so after a couple of days;

I'm still not used to the touchscreen but you're right, it's not sluggish. It was just me. Speed is fine, it's just hard to touch and adjust to the right finger placements to hit what I want, and hit it properly.

Battery life... still weird. It depleted in less than a day yesterday (maybe about 5 hours). But today it's still going strong (all bars). So we'll see.

Clock works and is on time. Radio trick works

4) was adressed by Kizune's awesome new music player for the J3. Fantastic ONLY beef left; there is no way to change the 'range' upwards. His skin alllows me however to select all tunes by the currently playing album or artist, but there is no way to change the range to all songs after. Still, much needed improvement and thank you Kizune

As mentioned, this is with 2.23 as stock, so it's the latest firmware. It's still buggy, still randomly freezes from time to time, but it sounds nice and it's got an INCREDIBLE screen.

Thanks for the tips everyone, much happier now