android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3 > Cowon J3 Video

Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Default TUTORIAL: From DVD To J3 [Xvid] (56k warning)

Tested on Arch Linux and Windows 7

For me SUPER has not always been able to do the job well enough, and especially not when it comes to converting DVD's into a proper video to watch on Cowon J3 - I have very often experienced sync issues between video and audio. With that in mind I've therefore decided to try do a tutorial myself so you all have an alternative if SUPER tends not to work for you.

Required Programs:
Converting your DVD movie into a playable video is a pain if you don't know where to start & especially if you want to do this for free. I've been trying many programs, among others AutoGK, Handbrake, VirtualDubMod & Any DVD Converter, but none of them has given me a satisfying result. You are welcome to look around in the jungle yourself, but if you prefer following this tutorial 100% you have to install the software specified below:

- DVDFab HD Decrypter (The DVD Decrypter/Ripper)
- DGMPGDec (AviSynth Plugin/Indexer) - Go to the "Downloads" Section in the left sidebar. Press Ctrl+F and search for the string "DGMPGDec". You should then be able to find a link called "DGMPGDec 1.5.3" (or similar) which lets you download the application. You should find Remember to toggle on the context menu entry. If you don't wish to, a work-around for the step where this is required can be found in the Questions and Answers section.
- AviSynth (Our Import/Merging Tool)
- FormatFactory (The Converter)

I apologize for this huge amount of apps, but once these are installed you should be insured completely I promise!

And one last note before we begin: If you encounter issues while going through this tutorial, please check Issues & Answers in my next post. If it doesn't have an answer to your issue please reply to this thread and I will reply back at some point. Alternatively you can also PM me.

Getting Started with DVDFab
DVD Decrypting & Copying
Insert your DVD into the your DVD compatible drive and Open DVDFab (DVDFab.exe). DVDFab is not only a Decrypter, but does also feature a converter, ripper and other feature which you only have a trial license to (granted that you haven't used DVDFab before), which explains why you start out with a "Welcome to DVDFab" window. Simply press "Start DVDFab" in the lower right corner, and off we go.

Go to DVD Copy -> Main Movie. As DVDFab tries to read the disc it may prompt you with a new window asking you to specify where your DVD is from by region code. If you are unsure, you might want to check for the DVD's region code on the cover. Blu-Ray Disc region codes can be found here. Press OK, and wait for DVDFab to open the DVD source. What you'll see after that, should pretty much look like the picture below:

What you can also see above is my own final settings, for the DVD I want to rip. The most important thing to change is the target as it isn't set to a folder on your hard drive by default. Change that and you should be good. The rest usually depends on which languages and subtitles you want or doesn't want. The Quality setting at the bottom doesn't matter much unless you also want to save the actual DVD Rip for backup purposes - If your movies are going straight to the J3 however, it shouldn't matter much as the screen resolution of the Cowon J3 is 480x272.

By pressing next in the lower right corner, you'll find a few more options, but we are not going to mess with them in this tutorial as the standard settings works just fine. Press Start and the DVD Decrypting & Copying will begin.

While you're waiting...
- Why are we using DVDFab (Commercial Software)?!
The only 2 decrypters I have been using and am satisfied with so far, is DVD Decrypter and DVDFab. And while DVD Decrypter handles most DVD's I have had several issues with newer DVD's from 2009 and above, which it gave up on. You are very welcome to use any DVD decrypter you like, but as DVDFab seems to handle any DVD I smash into my drive I'm using it for this tutorial. Besides, we are using a part of DVDFab which is freeware so you don't have to worry about expiration dates and so on. Check the Questions and Answers section in my next post if you want to know more.

Decoding with DGMPGDec
When you're reading this, your DVD decrypter has finished copying the movie onto your harddisk. We are now finished with the DVD, so take it out of the ejected drive, press finish & close DVDFab. Create a new folder somewhere on your hard disk drive and unzip all the content from the DGMPGDec.zip into it. Run the exe named DGIndex.exe and click Files -> Open. Select the *.Vob file(s) that the copied DVD movie consists of and adjust the way they are listed, until everything seems to be in order. Confirm by clicking OK.

What is DGIndex and what does it do?
DGIndex is a tool which indexes the movie for you and outputs a *.d2v file which the DGDecode plugin we are going to use later, can read. DGIndex also converts the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound in AC3 format into a single stereo PCM formatted *.wav soundstream which is much better for using at the final conversion. More about that on the Doom9 Forums & in the DGIndex Manual.

Back to DGIndex. First, let's find out what ID the audio we want to convert to *.wav is. Go to Files -> Preview and you will see that DGIndex is playing the video. Notice though that the video might appear Stretched Up, because that DGIndex isn't re-sizing the video down to the proper 16:9 format like any other DVD player does. By opening one of the vobs in a player like Windows Media Player you can see that the video appears normal though, so don't worry about that.

When you think you've seen enough, note down the audio number ID and pull the time-slider back to the start again. In my case the ID is "80" (80: AC3 3/2 384). Now click on the Audio tab, go to Output Method and make sure that Decode AC3 To WAV is checked there. Then in the same Audio tab, find and press "Select Track(s)". You can only use 1 sound stream in the end, so enter the ID of the soundtrack you want in the final video and press OK.

Now press File -> Save and find the folder of your DVD which should be named Video_TS. Create a new folder inside it and save the file there - but make sure that the file format is *.d2v and not "All files" before pressing Save finally.

DGIndex will now start indexing the Vob(s) files, which might take some time depending on the movie. When DGIndex has finished doing so, exit. For more info about using DGIndex, read the DG Quickstart Guide.

A Short Script Using AviSynth
So now you hopefully have got a *.d2v file and a *.wav file. Locate the two files and rename them both to something easy to remember, then Right-click somewhere in the window -> New -> New AviSynth Script. Give the script a similar easy name and double-click on it to open it with notepad.

A neat little code is all you need to finish your AviSynth Script. Write the same 4 lines in Notepad, but change paths for:

- LoadPlugin (DGDecode.dll is in the same folder as DGIndex.)
- MPEG2Source ( Your *.d2v file.)*
- WAVSource (Your *.wav file obviously.)*

* = Please note that the file have to be in the same folder as the script like in the picture above.

Save the script and keep the destination folder of it open for the next step.

Converting your DVD into a J3 compatible Xvid movie
The last and final step. Open up FormatFactory and Drag n' drop your AviSynth Script into the window. FormatFactory will then ask you to choose a file format, where there are many various options. In this tutorial we will convert the DVD Movie into an Xvid video file, so select All To AVI and press Setting to set-up the video as you like. Click the thumbnail below to see the settings I use:

After you're finished with the settings, I suggest you also press Save As to save the profile for future use (Called "All to Custom"). Press then OK and OK again until you are back at FormatFactory's main window. You can now Start the process of converting the video into Xvid.

This is gonna take a while, but once you are done you can finally copy the video to your J3 from the Output Folder, which you can find by clicking the big folder button in FormatFactory's main toolbar.

Thanks for reading this tutorial. I would gladly appreciate some feedback in any shape. If you're stuck at some place, please reply to this topic or PM me directly. Later I might also create a FAQ or create instructions about how to convert DVD Subtitles into *.srt format for the J3 depending on how useful this tutorial really shows to be.

Have a good day!

Last edited by Urne; 06-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Issues & Answers
In a chronological order.

DVDFab
- DVDFab tells me that my trial version of DVD Copy has expired or will expire soon.
Within the first 30 days you use DVDFab, it will use DVD Copy to rip your DVDs. After the 30 days DVDFab will tell you that it has expired, but you can still Copy and decrypt your DVDs - DVDFab will just use the HD Decrypter instead which never will expire (it's a freeware product of DVDFab). There shouldn't be any differences between them that is relevant for this tutorial though, so no worries!

- I minimized DVDFab and it suddenly disappeared!
DVDFab hides in your system tray when it is minimized. Simply click the monkey logo to the left of your system clock, or click the small up-going arrow to find it again.

AviSynth
- AviSynth Script does not appear as an option in the New context menu!
1. Open up Notepad and write the 4 lines as seen in the tutorial.
2. Go to File -> Save As.. and in Filetype select All Files. Now, give the file a name but before you press "Save", write ".avs" after the name. This will save the file as an AviSynth Script. You can now continue in the tutorial at next headline "Converting your DVD into a J3 compatible Xvid movie".

FormatFactory
- FormatFactory outputs an "error 0x00000001" when I press start.
Something in your *.avs script is incorrect - you most likely entered a filepath incorrectly so FormatFactory can't find the specific file. If you are unsure what exact path one of the files have, locate the file on your computer and click on the navigation bar in the top of the folder window, like demonstrated below.

All you have to do from here is copy (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the path into your avs script and add the name of the file - which, in the above example, is "\DGDecode.dll". Here is what my final line would look like:
LoadPlugin("C:\DGIndex\DGDecode.dll")

If you are 100% sure that all the filepaths are correct and it still doesn't work, compare your *.avs script with the example *.avs script in my post above. Everything but the filepaths should be identical. If this problem doesn't solve itself, don't hesitate to reply to this topic or PM me personally. I'll see what I can do.

After Conversion / During Playback
- The video and the audio is out of sync.
So far I have only experienced this problem with 2 out of 13 DVDs. But there is a fix of course - AviSynth has an internal filter called DelayAudio which can help you out here - it supports positive and negatives values so it applies to all sync issues.

Go into Windows Media Player, VLC or any other program which supports Avisynth and drag n' drop your *.avs file into it. WMP will tell you that it doesn't recognize the file format but if you exit the warning it should play it anyway. See a part of the movie and note down whether the audio is playing too late or too early. This is the most important thing to look after for now.

Once you've got an idea of the issue, double-click on your *.avs script to open it in Notepad and add the new DelayAudio line to your script like in the picture below. Be sure that the DelayAudio line is placed after the AudioDub line. If it isn't you may experience issues.

In the above example I have delayed the audio by 250 milliseconds because the audio was playing a tiny bit too early compared to the video. Depending on how much the audio is out of sync, 250 milliseconds would be a good place to start. If the audio is playing too early, use positive values - if the audio is playing too late, use negative values.

Save the script, and drag n' drop it into Windows Media Player again. Listen and see if your issue has been solved. If it hasn't, keep adjusting the values until you get it right. When you are done, proceed in the tutorial to convert it with FormatFactory.

If you have any other questions regarding the process of turning your DVD into a playable movie for the Cowon J3, go ahead and reply to this topic. I'll do my best to assist you!

Last edited by Urne; 01-05-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the tutorial, extremely helpful.

I also thought I'd mention 'TV Ripper' for those who use DVD decrypter.

Essentially it automates ripping TV series:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tvripper/

Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you & thank you for the link too.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM

I would maybe use autogk after I decrypted the DVD on my harddrive.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 AM

Urne -many thanks or taking the time to put this together. I've had my J3 for a couple of months now but have only used it for music, I'm not having any luck wit video so far. I've tried following your advice and got all the .vob files but DVDFab hasn't created any audio files. I've tried it a couple of times. Any idea what I'm doing wrong please?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM

Hi bren_gun, DVDFab should only rip *.vob files onto your computer, not create separate audio files. If you try to play the ripped *.vob files from the computer, the audio should be there as it is included in the *.vob file itself.

After you have ripped the *.vob files with DVDFab, follow the instructions to decode the *.vob file with DGMPGDec. If you did this part right, DGMPGDec will copy the audio from the *.vob file. When DGMPGDec is done you will end up with 2 new files where one of them is the audio file (a *.wav file).

I hope I cleared something up for you. If you're still in doubt or got any other questions regarding this tutorial, feel free to ask!

Last edited by Urne; 09-18-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi Urne - many thanks for the swift reply and I think I'm making progress. Sadly it seems FormatFactory no longer offers 'custom' as an option. Any idea which is te next best alternative or am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 AM

Thanks for finding this issue ren_gun. "All to Custom" will only appear after you have saved a custom profile - like I did before I made this tutorial. Don't worry about this though, I have edited that part of the tutorial now and uploaded new images, so if you follow the FormatFactory section again you should be good. ^^

EDIT: Though the new settings technically should work just like the previous I haven't tested it myself yet. So I advice you to test this out on one *.avs script first, not a whole batch. The final video will most likely work on the J3, but it's better to be 100% sure than feeding FormatFactory 12 DVDs and find out that either I've made a mistake somewhere! I apologize for the inconvenience. ^^

EDIT2: I just ran a test conversion with the new settings and everything works just fine. You should be good!

Last edited by Urne; 09-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 AM

I can confirm that this works brilliantly, even for a total novice.

Very many thanks for the help Urne.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 AM

You're very welcome! I would feel completely awful if I didn't mention my sources though: Credits goes to the Doom9 Community for providing all the tools and information this tutorial is based upon.

*snippet deleted*

EDIT: I just tested DVDFab after DVD Copy expired and everything works just fine because the free part of DVDFab, HD Decrypter, basically does what we need it to. DVDFab will automatically choose to use the HD Decrypter if the DVD Copy has expired and the same instructions applies - there is no differences in the GUI, so no worries there. I've added this to the Issues and Answers section.

EDIT2: Updated Issues and Answers with a guide on how to sync up the audio with the video in case you get such problems!

Last edited by Urne; 10-20-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 AM

i cant get the avisynth to show up when right clicking anyone have a solution? im using windows 7 64 bit

Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 AM

@lw3: Thank you for reporting this issue. Below is a work-around you can use (if you are sure you installed AviSynth).

1. Open up Notepad and write the 4 lines.
2. Go to File -> Save As.. and in Filetype select All Files. Now, give the file a name but before you press "Save", write ".avs" after the filename. This will save the file as an AviSynth Script. You can now continue in the tutorial at next headline "Converting your DVD into a J3 compatible Xvid movie".

EDIT: Updated Questions and Answers with the above information.

Last edited by Urne; 01-05-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 AM

Urne nice job on the tutorial, seeing there's only one video sticky "AVI h.264/MP3 video tutorial using SUPER" in the J3 forum I think your tutorial would make a nice addition, this thread has been made sticky too

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Thank you for the kind words, WalkGood. Glad you find it useful too ^^

Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
Thank you for the kind words, WalkGood. Glad you find it useful too ^^
I don’t watch videos on DAPs, only pc & lappy and don’t own the J3. So didn’t try it but trust the feedback and see it as a nice option for members to use since there was only one other sticky. I use dvd decrypter to rip dvd’s to pc and have tried numerous different programs to encode to avi (divx/xvid) …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 PM

aah alright.

I have updated the FormatFactory screenshot to correspond to the latest version of the software (version 2.80 that is).

Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM

hey urne thanks for the work around but another solution is to make sure you check that you want avisynth to appear in the right click new menu when installing it. thanks for this great guide though. another question. i ripped Rush Hour from my dvd and when i got through converting everything and put it on my j3 there are black bars at the top and bottom instead of the movie filling the screen. i used the j3 resolution 480x272 so is that normal or do i need to bump up the resolution to fill the screen. And i have another issue. When trying to adjust the audio in the avsynth i cant preview the changes unless i convert it again. its very time consuming. i tried viewing the avs script in wmp and vlc player but neither of them works. the movie im having trouble with is Nothing to Lose and the audio plays way earlier than the video.

Last edited by lw3; 01-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw3
hey urne thanks for the work around but another solution is to make sure you check that you want avisynth to appear in the right click new menu when installing it.
ah, I thought this was toggled on by default. I'll update the tutorial so a similar thing shouldn't happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw3
i ripped Rush Hour from my dvd and when i got through converting everything and put it on my j3 there are black bars at the top and bottom instead of the movie filling the screen. i used the j3 resolution 480x272 so is that normal or do i need to bump up the resolution to fill the screen.
This is normal behavior AFAIK for videos that doesn't match the 16:9 aspect ratio. Many theatrical movies are wider than the 16:9 aspect ratio which the J3 uses and thus black bars is shown. You would have to cut off some of the video if you want to circumvent this. It is possible to do this through AviSynth by using the Crop function of it. I believe you need to add the new line after the last line in the avs script but I haven't tried this yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw3
And i have another issue. When trying to adjust the audio in the avsynth i cant preview the changes unless i convert it again. its very time consuming. i tried viewing the avs script in wmp and vlc player but neither of them works. the movie im having trouble with is Nothing to Lose and the audio plays way earlier than the video.
What operating system are you using? You could try downloading Windows Media Player Classic to see if that works. Also, are you able to play the DVD from its *.vob files on your harddisk?

Last edited by Urne; 01-18-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Tags
cowon j3, dvd video converter, video conversion