android
Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Folders/Art work

Hi guys I'm new and I'm a bit stupid when it comes to this stuff.

Bought myself a J3 today and love it. I've read the manual so many times my eyes hurt,but I still cant figure out how to put my album into a folder with the album title. All I get is [folder] cant work out how to do this help me.

I also cant get the album art work to show. I'll still be here in 6 months trying to work this out. I can change the wallpaper tho.

any help/directions greatly appreciated.

Stretchmo

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM

hmmmm, depends on the size of the image
use a program like mp3tag (it's free) and it'll add tags and album cover to the mp3 files metadata.
haven't got a j3 myself, waiting for it to arrive, tomorrow fingerscrossed.

Hmmmm, stretchmo, name sounds familiar btw.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM

I am not sure I understand the issue. Does creating a new folder copy songs from one of your albums into that folder and rename it to what the album name is, not work for you? If you want to browse by [Album] [Artists] and [Genre] instead of by [Folder] on your J3, you can add ID3 Tags, using mp3tag which is a very easy and nice program.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Don't have the j3 but my embedded album art works fine on my cowon players, mp3tag can embed it for you, mm or half dozen other programs as well ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmo View Post
Bought myself a J3 today and love it. I've read the manual so many times my eyes hurt,but I still cant figure out how to put my album into a folder with the album title. All I get is [folder] cant work out how to do this help me.
Still don't follow.

Are you asking how to create a folder within a folder, in Windows?

Assuming you're just using Windows Explorer, and that you have the J3 connected to Windows via USB in MSC mode, and that you're now browsing the J3 (as some assigned device drive letter in Windows Explorer), you would just select the parent folder on the left pane (e.g., \Music), then right-click on the selected parent folder to produce the popup context menu, and select "New -> folder" and enter (i.e. type in) the desired album name for this new folder about to be created.

If you panic, and unwittingly press ENTER before typing in the new folder name, it would probably end up being "New folder" or maybe just "folder". In that case, just right-click on it, and then select "rename", and now type in the proper album name you want.

Once the album folder is created with the right name, it can be used just like any other folder... for receiving content files via drag/drop, etc.

Is that what you wanted to know? Or am I not following your question?

Quote:
I also cant get the album art work to show.
Once you have the album folder created, you can drag/drop the album art JPG from wherever you have it on your PC into the target album folder on the J3, again using Windows Explorer.

Once it's there, rename it to COVER.JPG (caps not required).

Now "safely remove hardware", when given the "you can now remove... " message from Windows you can pull the USB cord and disconnect the J3. Now boot the J3.

At boot time, all of your music "album" folders will be examined for COVER.JPG files, and will be properly analyzed and stored in a database. Now when you navigate to that album folder to play music from a file contained within that album folder, the Player will present the album art JPG.

It doesn't matter how you got into that album folder in order to play any of the music track files in that folder, nor what music track you're playing... the Player will present the COVER.JPG image within that album folder anytime any track in that album folder is playing.

Alternatively, there is a more complex way to "imbed" album art into the tag of each music file itself, which the J3 can also understand. But certainly a single COVER.JPG album art image in a single album art folder is a perfectly acceptable and simple way to do it.

Album art JPG images can easily be obtained by downloading from Amazon or other sources. Try to find high-quality images (e.g. 500x500) that have excellent color. They look great on the J3.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replys and sorry for the delay in replying I've been busy.

I'm getting some music sorted but to me it's still not correct. I'll try and explain what I mean and hopefully I can get more help?

Heres my problems. I rip a cd using windows media player (WAV) and put it in my external hard drive along with the cover art. Now for example I ripped Queen a Night At The Opera and put it a the Queen folder with a sub folder titled Night at the opera.

I then connect my J3 and open it up. I then open up the folder that is titled Music. I then drag and drop the Queen folder into the music folder on the J3. I then do the same for various other albums.

I disconnect the J3 and then turn it on. Press music, and below is what I get.

[Folders]
[Artists]
[Albums]
[songs]
[genres]
[years]
[new music]
[playlists]
[audible]
[recordings]
[video]

I then click [Artists] and some of the albums are there.IE [Cee Lo Green] I click this and get [All Tracks] [The Lady Killer] click on either and I get the music play it and I've got the album art.

I click on [Albums] and the [The Lady Killer] is there. click it, and again I get all the tracks. I notice there is a [Unknown] in the Album section so I click this. It's Queen along with R.E.M mixed together?

I can click [Folders]>[J3]>[Music] and every album is there, some with art work and some not? It's really annoying me now. And I like to think I'm a bit technically minded having fixed Televisions,Videos,Hi-Fi systems for years but this is really bothering me now. I hope I've explained what I mean and I hope there is a good samaritan out there who will take pity on this auld guy and HELP ME.

Sorry for ranting on but you guys are my only hope of some sanity and my way out a messy divorce.

Cheers

Last edited by stretchmo; 01-09-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:00 PM

As far as I'm concerned wav files doesn't support tags. Is your other albums ripped in *.wav format?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM

As was stated, WAV files do not support tags with metadata.

So while they are playable on the J3 (if you find them using Browser and navigate/drill down through your folder structure to the folder that contains those WAV files, and select them for playing) they will NOT show up anywhere else which is supported by tags.

So you will not find that album's songs under Artists or Albums or Songs, all of which are presentation of the J3's database of tag-related information. Since no tags in WAV files -> no information in Artists, Albums or Songs.

You need to ENCODE those ripped WAV files to another format that DOES support tags, if you want to see those tracks in Artists, Albums or Songs.

MP3 is the most common format to encode to (I suggest LAME as the encoder, if you're going to encode them into MP3 format yourself from WAV source input), but MP3 is "lossy". So your MP3-encoding parameters will produce smaller or larger files, and worse or better sounding files, depending on your encoding parameters. MP3 encoding is another subject for discussion, but MP3 files are supported by ID3 tags to contain metadata info such as artist, album and track name which will then appear in the J3's database for Music browsing. High-quality MP3 files may be about 20% the size of the original WAV file.

Or, you can encode to FLAC... which is a "lossless" format. This produces files that are about 60% the size of the original WAV file but is 100% identical to the original WAV file in sound quality, and in fact you could reproduce the original WAV file from the FLAC file if you needed to or wanted to. Most importantly, FLAC files also support tags... FLAC tags. And again, the J3 will thus be aware of each FLAC track by artist, album and track name.

WAV is not a suitable format for a portable music player that is tag-based for music browsing.

FLAC is functionally equivalent to WAV but also supports FLAC tags, whereas WAV supports no tags.

MP3 is "adequate" and is supported by ID3 tags. MP3 can sound quite "excellent" if you encode with high-quality parameters that will produce somewhat larger and better sounding files. Or, they can sound just "adequate" if encoded using lower-quality parameters that produce smaller and crummier sounding files. They can also sound "poor", if you encode using lousy parameters.