android
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Default MEElectronics question - cord damage

It appears that many of the MEElectronics IEMs use the same type of cord, a braided design with a clear vinyl coating.

I received a pair of M11+, my first IEMs, about a month ago and was a little surprised to find the cord tightly bound by a wire tie wrap in the retail packaging. The tie wrap caused quite a bit of crushing of the clear vinyl coating at various places along the length of the cord, resulting in a lot of little kinks. I had hoped these would work out over time, but they haven't. Anywhere along the cable where the clear coating was crushed you can see a kind of dark spot and can feel a divot in the coating.

Is that common with the MEElectronics phones? I'm wondering if I just got a pair that was carelessly repackaged by someone.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 AM

I have actually started to wonder the same thing. I have both a M6 and M9P who's cables are perfect. No tangle, no kinks, no memory, no nothing. They are just a pleasure to role up. Then I got a M11P+, but had to have it replaced due to a housing issue. The replacement was tightly bound by a wire tie like yours which resulted in the cable having kinks and a bad memory problem. I thought it would wear off with time and be like the other MEElec cables, but still has not. So now I am left wondering if being wrapped too tightly actually damaged the cable or if am just not being patient enough with it. (Truth be told while I have had it several weeks now I have used it very little since I got a TF10 about the same time I got my replacement.) EDIT: FYI, I am rather picky about my cables, I always wrap them over-under and use Velcro to hold them together.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

not related to your cord issues but since I have 2 owners...how do you like the tips that came with your MEElectronics? they have good varieties at affordable prices so I was thinking about giving them a shot.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM

I don't think I'd be one to comment on the tips, since these are my first IEMs. There's certainly a large assortment included: XL, L, M & S standard single flanges, M and S long single flange, L, M & S short bi-flange, and a M sized standard bi-flange. 10 sets in all.

But I'm still figuring out which fits most comfortably. I get good seals with several of them, but so far I haven't found any that are comfortable for more than maybe 45 minutes. That could also just be my getting used to IEMs. I was actually thinking of trying out some Sony hybrid tips to see if they were more comfortable.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
I have actually started to wonder the same thing. I have both a M6 and M9P who's cables are perfect. No tangle, no kinks, no memory, no nothing. They are just a pleasure to role up. Then I got a M11P+, but had to have it replaced due to a housing issue. The replacement was tightly bound by a wire tie like yours which resulted in the cable having kinks and a bad memory problem.
Was the first set of M11P+ cables in better condition?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hybrids are good, I have some. Save yourself a couple of bucks and go with the knockoffs on amazon. supposedly just as good but I cant account first hand.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
not related to your cord issues but since I have 2 owners...how do you like the tips that came with your MEElectronics? they have good varieties at affordable prices so I was thinking about giving them a shot.
They are on par with other stock tips. Neither great or nor terrible. Honestly, I would probably only buy them if you have have a hard time getting a good fit, in which case the wide variety of tips included in the M11+ set would be the way to go. Only problem with that is of course you wold only end up with one set out of nine that you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Was the first set of M11P+ cables in better condition?
I did not really use it enough to say for sure. I pretty much asked a replacement the day after I got it, and then put it aside. I wish I had taken better note of it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
hybrids are good, I have some. Save yourself a couple of bucks and go with the knockoffs on amazon. supposedly just as good but I cant account first hand.
I got some of the fakes off eBay in the mail yesterday. They're okay, but not as soft and stretchy as the real thing. Considering how much cheap they are than real Sony Hybrid though I can not really complain. The Sony Hybrids are my favorite tips BTW.

EDIT: I have yet to find any tips that let me listen to any MEElec IEM comfortably for more than 45 minute to an hour. I have decided it most like the V shaped sound signature of MEElec IEMs. Using Sony Hybrids helps though. I think they make the highs a little more bearable. But all in all I guess I do not mind too much. An hour is long enough to listen to album and it probably best not to listen to any IEM for more than hour at a time anyway.

Last edited by cnhardwick; 01-05-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
EDIT: I have yet to find any tips that let me listen to any MEElec IEM comfortably for more than 45 minute to an hour. I have decided it most like the V shaped sound signature of MEElec IEMs. Using Sony Hybrids helps though. I think they make the highs a little more bearable
That's interesting. I was talking about actual physical discomfort of the things plugged into my ears, but I think you're right about the sound signature, even though I don't have a lot to compare with other than standard headphones and speaker based systems. Bass from the M11+ is plentiful and nicely impactful, although it can sometimes a little 'tubby', as if listening inside a large metal drum. The highs, though, are more of an issue. They seem rather etched - not necessarily unpleasant, but edgy and a little fatiguing.

I think I'd prefer a more neutral sound and think I'll be trying some other IEMs in the near future. A couple that I'm considering right now are the Thinksound Rain and the Head-Direct RE0.

Last edited by Carson Dyle; 01-06-2011 at 12:55 PM.