android
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Default Just received my J3 and...

i'm having mixed feelings about it... i come from a sony walkman x, and somehow i find some good and bad things about the SQ on the J3... better instrument separation, DEFINITELY less noise, and i hear things that i couldn't hear before on my music... but still... there's something that doesn't sound right to me, like the sound sound a bit "tinier" (is that the word?) than the sony x.

I read somewhere in the forum that sony uses a "fun" sound, might that be it? does the J3 need a while to "burn in" like headphones? if not, maybe i just need to get used to it, i have to admit the sound customization is nuts tho xD

By the way i'm using panasonic's HJE900 iem (already burnt in with my old sony x).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM

No such thing as player burn in, that's bull ... try out BBE sound enhancements to tune your headphones to your liking, give it some time and I'm sure you'll love it.

Edit: hope you're using something better than the included buds as the cowon ones suck and congrats on the new player

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Tinier or tinnier? If it's tinier then messing with the user eq settings will open it up if it's Tinnier well...I personally don't find the J3 to be "Bright" . Either way I would recommend messing with the user eq settings you should be able to get the sound your looking for. Good luck

Last edited by funkymonkey; 01-03-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 PM

I certainly do not use the included earbuds when listening to my J3. If I'm listening through headphones, its' using my VERY LARGE Sony CD950 (from years ago) which I've come to really like. Otherwise, it's plugged into my car's audio system and benefits from playing through a genuinely wonderful multi-speaker configuration.

As has been suggested, if you're dissatisfied with the "out-of-the-box" sound of the J3 (through whatever you're listening to it through) you should experiment a bit with the Jet Audio BBE settings. They're of course not described at all in the so-called "user manual", but many on this forum have been talking about this subject for a long long time, so you should be able to get lots of advice.

Personally, I had been using "normal" before I discovered BBE... and thought it was terrific. Clean, perfectly normal, quite satisfying.

Then I discovered BBE, and began to play... trying out the Cowon-provided presets at first, looking for something that sounded better than "normal". Turns out many of the presets were horrible for me and my Sony CD950 phones, though they may give others what they seek with different headphones.

Anyway, even just using the "BBE" preset (as opposed to "normal") produced a different, and slightly improved, result. I've now decided I prefer it to "normal", when listening through headphones. However when I play the J3 in my car, I have to go back to "normal" because the tonal equalization of the amps and multi-speakers in my car already improve the tonal quality of everything, so adding additional "boost" from the J3 produces a very poor result (e.g. very very BASS-HEAVY and boomy). So for my car, the flat "normal" produces best result.

A few months back, one of the forum subscribers named MDWright1032 made his own EQ settings values (custom, using BBE and manually adjusting things) available to this forum, and lots of us tried it... AND LOVED IT!

So, in your experimenting with BBE and your new J3, you might try this particular customization, as described in this thread. I think you will no doubt agree that it is different from "normal", and in all likelihood MUCH BETTER SOUNDING than "normal", if what you're complaining about is a "tiny" sound compared to your Sony player.

I don't think anybody will describe the MDWright1032 EQ setting as "tiny". In fact, in addition to being stunningly clear and 3D-like I feel it is also quite LOUD (at least for what was my previous volume setting on the J3), and you'll probably want to turn your volume on the J3 down by perhaps 5 units.

Give it a shot, along with some of the other BBE presets from Cowon. Then report back (either here, or on the other BBE EQ settings thread) and let us know what you think.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the help, i believe funkymonkey nailed it, it's the lack of brightness that sounds different to me... also trying to "open" the sound as you suggested sounded much better to me... i guess it'll be just a period of getting used to it because i have to admit that even if it is not as bright as i'm used to, the sound in the normal setting is a lot more natural to my ears... i've been using sony's pmps for the last 4 years tho (a808 my personal favorite, e series, x1050), so i knew i was going to need a period of adjustment... i even miss the hiss xD lol (j/k but it does sound weird to me without the hiss haha).

I'm not using the cowon's earbud tho, i'm using panasonic's rp-hje900... with the bass rich settings they sound like my head will explode xD lol.

I did tried the setting that DSperber suggested and wow... it really was something else... completely different sound, and yes, 3d like sound, guess i'll play around that setting because when i was inputting the eq values i started liking the sound a lot... thanks for all the help, i'll see what else i can do with the eq ^^

Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Glad to see that many of you enjoy that setting. I still use it today

Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiiferrer View Post
Thanks for the help, i believe funkymonkey nailed it, it's the lack of brightness that sounds different to me... also trying to "open" the sound as you suggested sounded much better to me...

I did tried the setting that DSperber suggested and wow... it really was something else... completely different sound, and yes, 3d like sound, guess i'll play around that setting because when i was inputting the eq values i started liking the sound a lot... thanks for all the help, i'll see what else i can do with the eq ^^
Brightness can be a good or bad thing depending on your ears..brightness can be introduced by the player,headphones or both.
Opening up the sound stage using the custom user settings really changes things and mdwright1032's settings are a great starting point with very few if any changes needed to the EQ to suit your ears and genre preferences.