android
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Default J3 works connected to the AC adapter

I recently bought the cowon j3 and I read some time ago some users complain about the inability to use while you are connected to the power adapter, however I can say that actually works for me, so I am wondering if it has worked for you or it is just a fault of my cowon.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 PM

So long a it's charging with an A/V adapter, it's fine. Into the computer, you can't do anything.

Edit: For me, anyway.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM

well, i'm using a generic usb wall charger/adaptor (from exportprive.com) and can say that it does not work for me.

it's saying battery charging and that's all i can do.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Ah, sorry to hear that :/

I've been using the A/V adapter that came with my LG EnV3 for charging. I'm quite surprised as to it's versatility with my other USB-charging products. Has an output of 5.1 volts.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 AM

it works for me, but its not working as its supposed to.

like; i can use the side buttons but the screen remains black.
If i try to unlock it, it doesnt respond.

When i hold it, it turns off ( and on when i hold the powerbutton again ).

I kinda wished cowon included an adapter too instead of a usb cable since i charge my deviced at night

Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 AM

i need to rectify my prior statement: it does work.

strangely though, you have to push the play button in order to power the player. and it works flawlessly. the screen works as well and you navigate and use the tactile buttons.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
i need to rectify my prior statement: it does work.

strangely though, you have to push the play button in order to power the player. and it works flawlessly. the screen works as well and you navigate and use the tactile buttons.
I haven't tried this for myself yet.

I wonder if it's still charging from the adapter while you're using it? Or, maybe putting into play-state turns off the charging function?

I suppose perhaps the battery-charge-percentage icon may provide the answer. If you're down to near-zero, and it takes some time for it to charge up, if the screen is active when you turn it on using this novel "play button" approach, and thus you can now see the battery charge icon, does it move up as time goes on (suggesting that charging is actually active and ongoing)? Or is it unmoving?

Anyway, I'm not using my J3 when it's plugged in to charge. I don't need to have it plugged in to play, since it has far more hours of capacity between charges than I could ever need (e.g., driving from LA to San Francisco and playing it through my car audio system... it's still less than 8 hours total, vs. the 40+ hours you get from one charge on the J3).

Might as well just play it all day long, disconnected. And then just plug it in for re-charging at night, while you sleep. Period. Like a cell phone. Why fight what works?