android
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Best IEM Under 50$

Max budget is 50$.
I want IEM with good bass.
I will use it with sansa clip+ and Sony E544.
Previously i owned Creative EP630 which i lost, currently having Sennheiser HD203.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 PM

Probably the NuForce NE-6's or the Maximo i590 (or whatever they're called)

Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with the Maximo i590s, a real darkhorse IEM with the best accessories package in this class and they sound pretty damm great IMO.

Also, look at the new Hippo 10s, from Jaben.net in this price range.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 AM

haven't heard of them, what about other companies like sennhieser, klipsch, V Moda etc.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 AM

i searched for Maximo i590s and i am pretty much convinced with what you suggested but i am worried about the comments related to its build quality ?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Maximos still have a lifetime warranty I believe. I had my pair since March which developed a glue issue with one of the IEM housings. They not only replaced it for me, but sent me an additional pair for my trouble. The newest i590s are slightly redesigned from the original version as well - the braided cable is much more supple and the jack is now a one piece angled rubber design with very good stress relief though I liked the original brushed metal jack better from an aesthetic perspective].

There are lots of good choices in your price range. The i590s are one of my faves and IMO a good choice. But caveat emptor as always. Get em from Amazon, with a bulletproof return policy to be safe. I do love them quite a lot and make no bones about it.

I have Senn CX300 and Creative EP630 - decent, but IMO the Maximos blow them both away in terms of balanced sound and clarity to my ears.

Klispsh S4 about 30USD more than your budget. Again, very good sounding, but I understand possible build issues and Klipsch RMA policy seems to be not so great. No idea on the S2 Klipsch.

VModas also have gotten some good press/feedback for some models, but I don't have much personal experience with them.

Picking IEMs is like picking fruit - you gotta try em for yourself.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
The Maximos still have a lifetime warranty I believe. I had my pair since March which developed a glue issue with one of the IEM housings. They not only replaced it for me, but sent me an additional pair for my trouble. The newest i590s are slightly redesigned from the original version as well - the braided cable is much more supple and the jack is now a one piece angled rubber design with very good stress relief though I liked the original brushed metal jack better from an aesthetic perspective].

There are lots of good choices in your price range. The i590s are one of my faves and IMO a good choice. But caveat emptor as always. Get em from Amazon, with a bulletproof return policy to be safe. I do love them quite a lot and make no bones about it.

I have Senn CX300 and Creative EP630 - decent, but IMO the Maximos blow them both away in terms of balanced sound and clarity to my ears.

Klispsh S4 about 30USD more than your budget. Again, very good sounding, but I understand possible build issues and Klipsch RMA policy seems to be not so great. No idea on the S2 Klipsch.

VModas also have gotten some good press/feedback for some models, but I don't have much personal experience with them.

Picking IEMs is like picking fruit - you gotta try em for yourself.
As you mentioned Klipsch's S4 and S2 what do you suggest about S3. I can get S3 for 30$ @ Tigerdirect

Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol...I didn't mention the S3 because I never heard them

Sorry...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you are staying around $50 the Hippo groove is pretty good. I got them free though so my opinion may be a bit skewed since I had 0 expectations.

Never heard a vmoda or a senn IEM. I have had a couple of JVCs and would say that you would probably be happy with the best JVC you could afford like the bimetals or the black series.

I have the S4 and it is a good set IMO. I like the V shaped sound sig though. For the same price you can get the Hippo VB. Right now i like the hippo better for daily listening but I carry the s4 with me most of the time as well. The fit is diferent. The S4 is small and light. the VB is a bigger barreled IEM. I guess you need it to get that thump from an IEM.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 PM

I just bought Audio Technica ATH-CK300m iems last december and it sounds really good. Bass is tight and soft , not boomy. Mids and highs are presented well. Good value for money.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 PM

hi,
i reckon the hippo 10EBs are better sound to my ear than the Grooves

the VB's could be good too...but then i've only got one of them with a tip on currently

good luck

think my faves so far are my ol' ep630s

Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM

You can get Sennheisser CX300 from Amazon for $32 and some change from Amazon. Is it worth the extra 20 bucks to go with the Maximo 590s?

Sorry to semi hijack the thread.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Senn CX300 are some of the most faked headphones ever. If they are not directly from Amazon, not the Marketplace, there's too high a chance they're fake for me to put my money out there for them.

Additionally I've have the CX300(genuine) now. The real ones are running in the low $60$50 range from certified dealers that I see in a quick search. You can get much better sounding 'phones for that money. My Denon AH-C360 simply blow them out the water for $10 less.

Last edited by skip252; 01-07-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Over stated price on dealer CX300

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the cx300 is a classic starter IEM. they got me into the whole upper realm of this hobby. if you have been using stock buds, they will be a revalation. With that said, they are bit boomy and lack detail. I prefer the JVC aircushion if you are in that price range. more comfy and better sound. Still a little muddy, but I cant say enough about the fit. I think $50 is a bad price point. go cheaper at $30 or more at $80. I don't think much justifies the extra $20 and the quality difference from $50-$80 is immense. some of the heavy hitters are in that $80 range. S4, VB, Eterna, Brainwavs, REO...I could keep going. So my advice is either pinch some pennies and get to $80, or spend $30 and use the extra $20 on a couple of CDs.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ I dunno IDvEgo. Since day 1 I have been a pretty staunch supporter of the Maximo i590s at the 40-50USD pricepoint - I used to rave about em ad nauseum here.

I'd be interested to hear your take on them, especially with your IEM experience - I think 1 or 2 other brave souls here have given them a shot and been very pleasantly surprised. Still, I do agree with your comment about going up from to the best pair of IEMs one can afford, definitely around the 50-85USD range. But there are some great sounding IEMs for the lower budgets too.

One of these days I am gonna follow through and send dfkt a pair for evaluation
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

admittedly, i have not tried the maximo. I am hunting FA stuff right now but if anybody has a maximo they want to lend me or sell real cheap I would love to try them. I am driven by curiosity when it comes to these things

oh, or I will trade my hippo EB10s if anybody wants.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Senn CX300 are some of the most faked headphones ever. If they are not directly from Amazon, not the Marketplace, there's too high a chance they're fake for me to put my money out there for them.

Additionally I've have the CX300(genuine) now. The real ones are running in the low $60$50 range from certified dealers that I see in a quick search. You can get much better sounding 'phones for that money. My Denon AH-C360 simply blow them out the water for $10 less.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-...4437951&sr=1-3

Sold directly from Amazon, are those not legit CX-300s?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Straight from Amazon is the real deal. And Amazon is an authorized dealer so you get the full warranty.

I'd still spend another $10 and get the Denons though. I've heard both and the difference in sound makes it well worth it. Neither is a world beater but the Denons actually deliver more bass without totally burying you in the mud. The mids and highs are much clearer also.

The "Y" cable lets me wear them comfortably over-ear without the awkwardness of the CX300 yoke. The difference is night and day in the microphonics. The Senns can get irritating real quickly that way.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM

whoooww.. sorry guys for late reply.. was away from d web access..
well for the IEM, i am on a budget so thought of taking d 50$ price barrier but if something cheaper is available for a subwoofer system for my ear's then i would'nt mind with it.
I heard of the denon's ac-360 but now i am totally confused on which one to go with,
with such a response from you guys

Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 PM

The best $50 iem is instead save that $50 and wait until you have another $50, put them together and get something far better.

For $80 Inc shipping the hippo VBs will subwoofer your face off
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677