android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio

View Poll Results: Are you interested in music subscription services such as Rhapsody or Napster?
Yes: I use or would like to use my Cowon player with music subscription services 7 7.45%
Maybe: I am not interested now, but might be in the future for my Cowon player. 6 6.38%
No: I do not use subscription services and it is likely that i never will. 81 86.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2009, 01:42 PM
ABI Founder

Default Current and Potential Cowon Owners Please Read and Vote

I'm curious to know how uses of devices vary by brand regarding subscription music services. Please only vote if you won a Cowon player or plan on buying one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Yes I use Rhapsody for my S9 and I am enjoying it very much. I'm not sure why more people don't but to each his own I guess. I have found a few artist I had never listened to that I really like....worth every bit of $15 a month as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Death to all retarded crippled music ripoff scams.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

USELESS.

also, it's "own" not "won" right? not trying to be a smartass, but that really threw me off...

Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"Corea" (old spelling) "One".

Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
Yes I use Rhapsody for my S9 and I am enjoying it very much. I'm not sure why more people don't but to each his own I guess. I have found a few artist I had never listened to that I really like....worth every bit of $15 a month as far as I'm concerned.
If the S9 didn't have support for subscription services would you still have purchased it?

or

If a future Cowon player did not have support for subscription services would you still buy it?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Contributing Editor

Honestly, I havent found a subscription based service worth my money yet. I go to the artists websites, or get the cd and rip. Until I can have lossless available at least the same price as the cd, its not worthwhile.

Still dont understand how its more expensive to download the cd, vs buying one in a store. No packaging, no delivery charges, small employee base. Dont get it. I guess if everybody that doesnt use their brain continues to pay 1.29 for a track, then the itunes and amazons deserve their cash.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I buy T-Shirts from the artists when I attend their concerts. Everything else is not really contributing to their benefit.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
If the S9 didn't have support for subscription services would you still have purchased it?

or

If a future Cowon player did not have support for subscription services would you still buy it?
Yes and Yes

Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I buy T-Shirts from the artists when I attend their concerts. Everything else is not really contributing to their benefit.
Yeah same here dfkt, i nearly always buy a t-shirt at the concert unless it really looks bad, but that rarely happens because heavy metal bands hardly ever make bad t-shirts .
oh yeah EnzoTen, same as Blahaha, yes for both.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 AM

I think the problem here is that there are probably a lot of people that hang out on this board that get all their music for..."free"...if you know what I mean. So yeah they would never pay for something like Rhapsody or Napster.

Though I could be wrong....

Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
I think the problem here is that there are probably a lot of people that hang out on this board that get all their music for..."free"...if you know what I mean. So yeah they would never pay for something like Rhapsody or Napster.

Though I could be wrong....
Can't speak for the "free" music people, but I've never downloaded anything for free on any of the bootleg sites.

My standard practice is to, first, buy CD's of the music I like and then rip them for use on my players. Once I rip a CD, I almost never even look at it again.
Secondly, I'll record stuff I like off the internet (streaming recording, not downloading files). That way, I get to choose what I record it into (see the bottom of my post) and record it to quality standards that I like.

I routinely record the Hearts of Space program every Sunday, and I make a lot of use of the online radio sites (my favorite being radiotime.com).

But downloading just "isn't me", and I have no intent of signing up for any such site.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Well i think it depends on the music the person listens to, for example if they listen to the Top of The Charts type of music or whatever is on MTV (the most popular). It wont make a difference if people download their music for "free", the band and producer would still get a sick amount of money.
But if its...i dunno, lets say heavy metal or something that isnt popular or constantly aired on the radio or MTV, it probably would make a difference if people started to download their songs for free on certain websites. I mean such bands that are underground or not popular (at the moment) suffer from that, cuz they dont get those huge paychecks.
I DO buy CDs but i would rather go to a concert whenever possible and buy a t-shirt there. dfkt is right, it does help out the band more. Going to a concert and buying a t-shirt contributes more to the band than buying 1 or 2 CDs, because the ticket and t-shirt are more expensive than the CD and more of that money goes to the band and not some label or so.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry, subscription services for the Cowon players don't interest me ATM. Getting good podcast support (like in the Zune and iTunes programs) is something I'd see as a feature I'd love to see in the Cowon lineup. And, I mean VIDEO podcasts, not audio. Audio is so 2000.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM

I buy my music from Amazon's DRM Free stores. It is the best legit path for digital downloads. These subscription services just aren't my cup of tea.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 AM

Smile THe music I like isn't offered much ...

I am a new 32G S9 owner and the reason I choose it was for the quality of the playback. I am really into Bluegrass, Oldtime, and folk. I want a player were I can hear the click of the pick on the mandolin strings, the harmonics of the fiddle, and the ring of the banjo. Why on earth would I lower the quality of the music by downloading an MP3? I buy all my CDs from the artists in concerts or thier own web sites. Rip them, and sync them at 192b. Botom line, I would never subscribe to a service.

Great forum BTW

Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 AM

Have not found one worth my while. I am more of a buy the CD and rip it to FLAC myself.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM

This thread is old so I don't know how useful my response will be... But personally I really like having the albums I like in a physical library... When it is all digital... Somehow it is just not satisfying.

I think it's kind of silly that people are suggesting it's better to buy a shirt than a CD... there are still 3rd party companies making money while the artist only gets a dollar or two of anything. I suppose if you wear it around you're at least advertising for the band, but I have literally never thought about looking up a band I saw on someone's shirt, and I don't think that most people are much different. If you really want your money to only go to the artist, you can just donate to them... But let's get to reality, donations are not a particularly stable/ideal source of income for anyone. It's like busking on the internet.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I think it's kind of silly that people are suggesting it's better to buy a shirt than a CD... there are still 3rd party companies making money while the artist only gets a dollar or two of anything.
Depending on the band, their label, etc - that is not the case with most of the music I listen to. Bands I listen to generally do make more money off tshirts than off CDs. I asked some of them.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 PM

I own J3 16gig/Zune HD 16gig/D2 8gig/Sansa fuze 8 I have used Napster/ Zune Pass/ Rhapsody/

OK first every player I have bought I was looking for something special about the player D2 it was SQ, the Zune HD was about wi fi and Videos, Fuze was about a cheap decent sounding i could take with me and not worry to death about it .J3 My newest Ok this was purchased becuase My D2 bricked and it was time to upgrade and i am very happy with it except the DAMN PLAYLIST THING COWON you droped the ball. Never has it made a difference what services they offered with the player.

Saying that let me tell you I do use some of those services.Napster very cheap but there dowloads when I used them was 256k I think same with Rhap.Zune Pass now they are 320 and you get 10 song credits every month for 15 bucks.When I use theses services its to find new music and artist. I will purchase the CD or use the credits if zune has the artist.

So while it does not effect my choice of players I still like some of the services they offer.