android
Old 12-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Default USB mode...MSC or MTP

Hi

I have been reading a number of threads about the USB mode for both the Clip and the Clip+.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Many thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 PM

This topic has been discussed to death. Either do a search or take my word for it: use MSC.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 PM

Okay. Thank you. My apologies.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MSC, because then I can run programs (like MP3Gain and MP3Tag) against the songs on the player.

Steve

Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 PM

On my Linux setup, the Clip+ gave me the worst MTP experience of my life. But I know nobody with a Windows PC to test if it's that different in that case. By the way everybody seems to agree that you must avoid the Auto-detect mode above all.
Have fun!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Another vote for MSC - MTP has its uses but MSC is ultimately the better choice IMO as well.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-10-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
This topic has been discussed to death. Either do a search or take my word for it: use MSC.
In defense of us newbies, note that none of the terms, USB, MTP, or MSC, can be "searched" as the search function on this forum won't do 3-letter words. (I tried.)

It would be nice if the definitive thread on this subject were "stickied".

I'd like to know also. For example, my Clip+ shows as a Clip+ to MM and the computer while in "Auto" or "MTP" mode, but shows up as a "Sansa CLIPP" (sic), in "MSC" mode, and all the content disappears. I realized, by reading other threads, why the content isn't there, (easy fix), but it would still be nice to have the player show up properly.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Tripzone, welcome to ABi.... Not to be difficult, but you must understand some topics get discussed waaaaay too much. This is one of those

Start by:
- looking at the newbie glossary in my signature. Some pretty good stuff there, if I do say so myself. And a few sentences on both MSC and MTP.

Essentially, when you set the Clip+ to MSC mode, it will function exactly like a standard USB data key. You simply drag and drop your music to copy stuff over and back. Create folders, perform file functions like delete, etc... Simple. Neat. Clean. No muss, no fuss.

MTP is originally a Microsoft thing for Windows Media frameworks, including use with WMP. Other software may use the MTP framework for to allow for access to music players [e.g. Windows software managers like Winamp, MediaMonkey, etc]. MTP can have its uses, but can be a bit slower during transfers than MSC.

I personally use both protocols, depending on the player. But for a Clip+ for instance, I would also stick with MSC. Period.

And there is the most important thing to remember: it is a well-documented Sandisk bug...If you set your player to MTP, copy music to it, then set it to MSC, when you reconnect to your PC, all the stuff you copied over using MTP will seem to have "disappeared". This is not true. All your music is still there - just that Sandisk players cannot see music copied between the 2 modes. The reverse is also true.

Thus, the only sensible advice is to choose a mode and stick with it on that device forever.

Avoid AUTO-DETECT at all costs - it doesn't really work and often confuses this often confusing issue even more for folks. Auto-Detect is also not so lovingly referred to as AUTO-DEFECT. This pretty much tells you all you need to know about Auto-Detect.

hth and good luck,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 01-10-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 AM

If the forum search misbehaves (and I agree, it does...), try google...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=msc...ingbutipod.com

Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripzone View Post
In defense of us newbies, note that none of the terms, USB, MTP, or MSC, can be "searched" as the search function on this forum won't do 3-letter words. (I tried.)

It would be nice if the definitive thread on this subject were "stickied".

I'd like to know also. For example, my Clip+ shows as a Clip+ to MM and the computer while in "Auto" or "MTP" mode, but shows up as a "Sansa CLIPP" (sic), in "MSC" mode, and all the content disappears. I realized, by reading other threads, why the content isn't there, (easy fix), but it would still be nice to have the player show up properly.
How the player appears, depending on USB mode, has to do with the modes' underlying engineering.

Do note that while "Sansa CLIPP" seems like a typographical error, it presumably stands for "Sansa Clip+".

Old 01-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Tripzone, welcome to ABi.... Not to be difficult,
Not difficult at all, and thanks for the welcome and the great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
If the forum search misbehaves (and I agree, it does...), try google...
Doh! I shoulda thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
How the player appears, depending on USB mode, has to do with the modes' underlying engineering.

Do note that while "Sansa CLIPP" seems like a typographical error, it presumably stands for "Sansa Clip+".
Ah . . . that makes sense. Thanks all for the good info. Now I know.