android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Recommend me some euphonic headphones for home use

Hello all. I am in the market for a new set of home cans for pleasurable music listening. I was considering Sennheiser 5** or Grado 125i but I'd like to ask around if there are any other good options. I want these cans to be fun to listen to, euphonic but not tiring so that they could be used for long hours.

Price Range: maximum is 250 EUR
Type/Design: Full size, open, circumaural
Primary location of use: At home
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Fairly balanced with some bass emphasis, need to be euphonic
Media: All genres but most commonly rock, metal, electronic

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Not sure of the price over there or if you would consider pre-owned to stay within budget, but if by euphonic you mean pleasing to the ear with bass emphasis, ability to listen for long hours without fatigue and extremely comfortable I’d look for a pair of hd650’s. They also have very good soundstage as they're open ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

HD650 are more in the 300€ range, plus they need amplification. Although defineatly worth the premium, but if you need to buy an amplifier for them as well, then its getting a bit pricy.

Beyerdynamic makes the DT990, which can be found in easier to drive lower impedance versions. Plus they are in the 250€ range.

I dont know too much about open back headphones, prefer closed back ones myself like the Denon D2000.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Senn HD 650 prices fluctuate like the Dow Jones... current Austrian price is EUR 253 upwards (source - 2nd best price in Poland ). They can be driven perfectly well by a decent sound card headphone-out, like on the AudioFire 2, but many MP3 players are a bit underpowered for them. Funny enough, the wimpy Clip+ can drive them fine, due to its internal impedance matching. It can't drive the 75 Ohm KSC75 really well though.

Grado sure are neither euphonic nor warm/emphasis on bass. I say go for the HD 650 and don't look back. You could go for the 50 Ohm HD 555, or maybe the HD 595, but with the HD 650 you know you don't have to look any further. The DT990/250 would be a good second choice, but they're not quite as refined as the HD 650, and their treble is a bit hot for my taste. As for amping either the HD 650 or DT990, even the inexpensive FiiO E7 can drive them well.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Thank you all for answering. I already have a decent amp that I am pretty sure will do just fine with even those harder to drive cans. I will consider the Sennheiser although I am actually a little bored of the Senn sound signature. I have never heard the HD 650 though, perhaps I should test-drive them in a store.

How does AKG K-701 compare to Senn HD 650?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 AM

HD650 and K701 are like night and day. The K701 are seriously imbalanced and bad phones in my opinion - no bass, way too much treble. Definitely not euphonic by any means.