android
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Default Grado GR8's

Does anyone happen to have experience with these rather facetiously named earphones? As a long-time fan of Grado headphones who just happens to be in the market for new IEM's, the GR8's sure sparked my interest. Priced at 300, however, I am not too eager to proceed.

The specs are as follows

Driver: Moving armature
Frequency range: 20 -20,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 118db/1mw
Impedance: 120 ohms
Maximum input power: 20mW
Cable Length: 51"/130mm (oxygen-free copper wire)
Weight: 9 grams including plug and cord

Not too shabby, yet nothing extraordinary. But as we all know, it is the sound that matters.

dfkt? Anyone?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2010, 05:14 AM

As far as I know, they have the exact same moving armature driver as the Ortofon e-Q7 and e-Q5, they are also very similarly tuned, it seems. Here's more about them (via Google translate): http://translate.google.com/translat...8.html&act=url

Funny enough, I heard through the grapevine that the Grados are much cheaper to manufacture than the Ortofons (due to the cheap plastic housing instead of milled aluminum, etc), yet are sold at a higher price... I have the Ortofon e-Q5 and have tested a friend's e-Q7 for several weeks - they're extremely good phones. Based on looks, build quality, and price I would go for one of them instead of the cheap plastick-y Grado. The e-Q5 are EUR 219 including free shipping from Japan (at MusicaAcoustics, where I got mine from).

By the way, in the meantime there's already Grado GR10 available - same housing, same design, even more expensive. A friend of mine is getting them, and I'm sure he will lend them to me sometimes for a listen. Maybe I know more in a few weeks, stay tuned.

Tags
grado, iems