android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 AM

Help Recommend plz? flash-based player, with monochrome screen, quality FLAC playback.

Hello, my Sansa Clip+ audio jack has gone a bit flakey, and it is enough of a nuisance for me to want to get a new "MP3" player.

Basically all I want to do is play about 7 of my most treasured CDs in Lossless quality, preferably FLAC, since that is how they are encoded. I have used iPod nanos in the past, with their Apple lossless format, and was satisfied. However nowadays I don't want a Nano because the newer models have a load of stuff like touch-screen, movie and music viewing, that I don't want, and I don't see the point in paying extra for this kind of stuff.

I also I can't be bothered with hacky things, like old players with Rockbox.

Anyway let me get to the what I am looking for:

Budget: I'm from the UK, and 100 is my max. I guess in the US that is like $150 or something.

Use:
Listening to several of my treasured CDs encoded in lossless quality for my "golden ears". That is all I care about.

Screen - Monochrome. No color. No touching. No nonsense

Storage capacity - Upto 8 GB more then enough. SOLID-STATE (flash). No spinning hard drives.

Type/design - Grass-roots PMP . Just simple music playback for an "audiophile" with "golden-ears".

UI/Controls: Tactile buttons. No touch screen. I could probably deal with touch pad style buttons, but the mechanical "click" is always best.

Features :

• Ease of use, Intuitiveness, both these were on the old iPod nano (sigh )
  • High quality audio playback.
  • Ease of connectivity
  • Can drag and drop music files into player. No need for some silly client like MusicMatch or iTunes or whatever ()....

Thanks alot,
grounder

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Sansa Clip+.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM

LOL yeah thanks. A cracking MP3 player. You know I had one right?

The thing is the way the audio jack is on the side seems to make it more vunerable especially with my princely ear-enclosing headphones connected to them.

There must be other MP3 players like this...?

What are the Digital music players thinking these days .... Like 99.9% of them just seem so silly. Why is everything turning into an PC ?!?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Well, you could get a Sansa Fuze instead - same innards, same sound quality, etc. With Rockbox on it you can turn the color screen into a monochrome one.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM

What about:

iRiver T7

OR

Samsung U6

Anyone know which is better? I've played about with iRivers before, and as far as I understand they used to be the king of audio quality.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 AM

You can read our T7 review (spoiler alert: it's a real piece of crap): http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/07/i...ano-t7-review/

The U6 I don't know - I just know that Samsungs aren't capable of gapless playback, have sub-par sound enhancements, and that I wouldn't be happy with one like that.

As far as pure flat sound quality goes, most major brands have basically the same sound quality, no discernible differences with human ears. My personal preferences for usability and quality are Sansa and Cowon.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned

you can get an 8Gb Clip+ with an 8Gb card for 36.99 at Play.com just now.

You could spend what's left over on some new iems.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Thanks so much guys. The other guys need to take a leaf out of Sandisk's book! They create players fit for a king.

Nodirectionhome, awesome deal!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM

If your clip+ had the same problem with flaky headphone jack this thread gives you two ways to fix it, you cant really go wrong if you are going to replace it anyways.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=58197

I fixed mine, and there a non soldering fix in the last post.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Tags
audiophile, flac, ipod, lossless, nano