android
Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Smartwatch with independent storage for music

Hello again everybody,

I'm just wondering if anyone is knowledgeable on the smartwatch front in terms of being an actual mp3 player?

As someone who owns a Pebble smartwatch I find them incredibly useful, and although intended to be used in conjunction with a smartphone I'm wondering if any have actually been released with Bluetooth streaming capabilities to headphones and online storage for music, even if it's a very small amount like 2-4gb.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Jeven: Your Sony Smartwatch 3 has 4gb space onboard right? Can it actually store songs onboard and stream to headphones?

Last edited by BruceBanner; 02-19-2015 at 03:13 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 AM

It can store playlists, or I can create a playlist of an album. I sync it with the Walkman app on my phone. It's something I've been using a lot, preferring not to take my phone out when all I want to do is listen to music and map my exercise with GPS. Streaming is perfect to both my Sony headset and larger headphones and also my Bluetooth speakers at home. The connection never breaks - Bluetooth has come a long way. I keep around 2GB of music on there - one big playlist and around 6 of my favourite albums. Syncing on other Android Wear watches is a mess, as Google Play Music will download everything that is downloaded onto your phone, all mixed up and unsorted 'til the watch is full

There is something ineffably cool about having your favourite albums on your wrist.

Last edited by Jeven; 02-19-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice. What's the volume like? Would you say similar to Android or more or less in your opinion?
Can you root Android Wear OS also I wonder...?

I'm just thinking about 'upgrading' my pebble watch, and if I do a watch that can particularly store it's own music and as you say a few select choice albums is a bonus.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:39 PM

The volume is loud enough for me - similar to an android phone's volume.

Android Wear is still pretty locked down AFAIK.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok ta, it's prolly not loud enough for me, last time I needed to root an Xperia E1 and lift off it's volume limits, that for me worked and got Android to a level more in line with Sansa etc.
So after everything was said and done you had about 2gb of space left for music?

Also, if you were to use streaming music from watch to headphones, for say 1hr, does it dent the battery life by much?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Ok ta, it's prolly not loud enough for me, last time I needed to root an Xperia E1 and lift off it's volume limits, that for me worked and got Android to a level more in line with Sansa etc.
So after everything was said and done you had about 2gb of space left for music?

Also, if you were to use streaming music from watch to headphones, for say 1hr, does it dent the battery life by much?
I'm not sure about volume - I know it's plenty loud enough for me. Also, you have volume controls on both the watch and whatever BT headphones you are using so to max it out is pretty loud.

The watch shows 2.6GB free, so all that could be used for music. Wear apps max out at around 15MB each, some quite a bit smaller. My exercise apps, Google Keep, a calculator, task manager and watch faces are all smaller than this.

My battery goes down around 7% an hour just playing music. I won't really have the screen on much as I control it with the buttons on the phones. Of course, using GPS plus streaming typically drains the battery much more quickly.