android
  #1  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default Durable, Portable, Perfect Sounding Player

Location: United States of America
Budget: Undetermined. Will determine along the way.
Use: Listening to music.
Type: DAP
Features: Memory Expansion, Battery Pack Friendly, and Near Best (or best) Sound Quality.
Display: Don't Care.
UI/Controls: Don't Care.

Looking for a good DAP. Currently looking at Clip+. Any other alternatives would be great too.

Last edited by HybridCore; 11-08-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,057
Default

If you don't mind using an external battery pack for extended play, the Clip+ is great. i bought a 4GB Clip+ on sale for $30. It might be even less than that in around 3 weeks. The 8GB Clip+ unfortanately hardly ever goes on sale, and a new one costs around $60. Now the 2GB Clip+ is around $30 on Amazon. You might see high quality class 4 32GB micro SDHC cards as low as around $25-30 in 2 or 3 weeks.

As for usb battery packs, the Tekkeon mp1550 that takes 4AA nimh batteries is only around $20. This 5000 mah battery pack is $35.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Portable.html
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Lagoo56's Avatar
Lagoo56 Lagoo56 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SI,NY
Posts: 738
Default

I'd recommend the 8GB Sansa Fuze,the battery life on it is 21 hours of playtime,so at least the extra bulk of a battery pack might not be needed. It costs nearly $80 on Amazon.com,for a new one but refurbished ones are half the price. It also can be Rockboxed just like the Clip+.
__________________
DAPs I own: Rockboxed Sansa C250 2GB+64GB MicroSDXC
Tablets I own:Rooted 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running Sungsonic 2 HD JB 4.1.2
Rooted 80GB Asus Memopad HD 7
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,057
Default

The Fuze is not battery pack friendly, as the Fuze has a proprietary connector, and the Fuze cable is huge. Most usb power packs come with a very compact usb to usb mini cable, which is perfect for use with the Clip+.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

I was looking at the Kensington battery pack (only one not under any link related to iPod/iPhone). How is it compared to the Tekkeon?

Edit: Found these...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._8000_mAh.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Max_16000.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ation_for.html

Mophie seems overpriced but the matte finish...I can't resist that.

Last edited by HybridCore; 11-01-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,057
Default

The Mophie does seem ridiculous. It is a pound for just 4000 mah, and is $80. The 16,000 mah ISOUND Portable Power Max is just 14.6 ounces and $69.02 for four times as much power. The $50, 8.2 ounce 8000 mah ISOUND Portable Power looks interesting. I hadn't seen that one before. The 4.6 ounce Veho 5000 mah charger for $35 seems much easier to carry around though. The Mophie is just slightly larger than the Veho, however it is more than double the price and has less capacity. The Isound units are not that expensive, however in terms of size they are 2.65 and 4.4 times the volume of the Veho, and also much heavier.

The Tekkeon mp1550 in comparison is around 4.5 ounces with 4 batteries in it, so it is around the weight of the Veho. it is around 30% larger than the Veho though. With Sanyo 2700 mah batteries in it, it is equivalant to a Lion pack with 3500 mah. The nice thing about the Tekkeon mp1550 though is that you could get extra sets of batteries to use with it, and each set of 4 could be charged in a fast charger in as little as 15 minutes. Charging a high capacity Lion pack takes a long time.

In terms of smaller size and weight per mah though, the Veho comes in at the top of the packs I mentioned.

The battery in the Clip+ is 290 mah. Charging lion batteries is roughly 70% efficient. The battery can't empty fully to zero. I guess in terms of maximum charging ability, figure 50-60% of the battery's capacity. So using 50%, the 5000 mah Veho might be able to charge the Clip+ fully around 17 times. So I guess one should expect around 200 hours of play on the Clip+ using mp3 files with the Veho.

There are other battery packs as well on Amazon. You could check to see what is there. For the weigh, size, and price, I think the Veho is very attractive. The Veho could easily fit in a shirt pocket with the Clip+.

Last edited by JK98; 11-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The Mophie does seem ridiculous. It is a pound for just 4000 mah, and is $80. The 16,000 mah ISOUND Portable Power Max is just 14.6 ounces and $69.02 for four times as much power. The $50, 8.2 ounce 8000 mah ISOUND Portable Power looks interesting. I hadn't seen that one before. The 4.6 ounce Veho 5000 mah charger for $35 seems much easier to carry around though. The Mophie is just slightly larger than the Veho, however it is more than double the price and has less capacity. The Isound units are not that expensive, however in terms of size they are 2.65 and 4.4 times the volume of the Veho, and also much heavier.

The Tekkeon mp1550 in comparison is around 4.5 ounces with 4 batteries in it, so it is around the weight of the Veho. it is around 30% larger than the Veho though. With Sanyo 2700 mah batteries in it, it is equivalant to a Lion pack with 3500 mah. The nice thing about the Tekkeon mp1550 though is that you could get extra sets of batteries to use with it, and each set of 4 could be charged in a fast charger in as little as 15 minutes. Charging a high capacity Lion pack takes a long time.

In terms of smaller size and weight per mah though, the Veho comes in at the top of the packs I mentioned.

The battery in the Clip+ is 290 mah. Charging lion batteries is roughly 70% efficient. The battery can't empty fully to zero. I guess in terms of maximum charging ability, figure 50-60% of the battery's capacity. So using 50%, the 5000 mah Veho might be able to charge the Clip+ fully around 17 times. So I guess one should expect around 200 hours of play on the Clip+ using mp3 files with the Veho.

There are other battery packs as well on Amazon. You could check to see what is there. For the weigh, size, and price, I think the Veho is very attractive. The Veho could easily fit in a shirt pocket with the Clip+.
The iSound seems fine by me. Plus, I could use it only when I need to charge. The 8000mah seems to be more than enough. I'd say another 5 days if I use a digiZoid 2 (based off digiZoid 1 lifetime) and 5 days for a Clip+ plus the 1/2 day battery each one has which is a total of 5.5 days use which is more than enough.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

bump
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

bump

Eyeing the Denon AH-C360, AH-C560R, and PS 210 for IEMs. PS200 price shot up on Amazon.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:26 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,415
Default

What do you believe you're bumping? The information you actually supply is so nebulous it doesn't have any real value in allowing someone to help you.

At this point probably the best thing to do is at least supply some possible alternatives you've found to the Clip+ or Clip Zip. That way others would have a better indication of what you consider important.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
... The dac/amp is a must. I'm currently looking at the digiZoid 2. I have high expectations for it. Again, recommendations are welcome. ...
FYI, the ddigiZoid is not a DAC, the ZO 2 is an amp and it also improves overall bass performance and impact AFAIK. If what you need is a DAC, then you might want to look at the FiiO E10, which is a USB DAC amp. You should be able to get more info on it from dfkt who already has one and has posted comments in the amp forum. Keep in mind there's no need for a USB DAC for the portable player you'll be looking at, it's for a laptop or pc system and can be used as a portable amp.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 11-08-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
FYI, the ddigiZoid is not a DAC, the ZO 2 is an amp and it also improves overall bass performance and impact AFAIK. If what you need is a DAC, then you might want to look at the FiiO E10, which is a USB DAC amp. You should be able to get more info on it from dfkt who already has one and has posted comments in the amp forum. Keep in mind there's no need for a USB DAC for the portable player you'll be looking at, it's for a laptop or pc system and can be used as a portable amp.
Ah...okay. If I get a DAC/Amp for a Clip+, will it sound any better? I know the DAC in the Clip+ is already good but will something like a FiiO E10 make a huge difference?
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
Ah...okay. If I get a DAC/Amp for a Clip+, will it sound any better? I know the DAC in the Clip+ is already good but will something like a FiiO E10 make a huge difference?
In almost all cases a Clip does not need an amp unless you plan on driving some headphones with really high impedance (ie. 300 ohms hd650s or 600 ohms DT 880s), which I doubt you'll be using. An amp can also help settle down low impedance overly sensitive IEMs too, to read more about what an amp can accomplish click here. On the other hand if you like bass and have a need to increase its performance/impact in the IEMs/headphones you use a ZO 2 would do the trick, along with amplifying the signal as well. Regardless the DAC on the e10 is only for laptop or pc use AFAIK.

Edit: BTW not sure if you read the abi Digizoid 1 review, but it's here
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 11-08-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
In almost all cases a Clip does not need an amp unless you plan on driving some headphones with really high impedance (ie. 300 ohms hd650s or 600 ohms DT 880s), which I doubt you'll be using. An amp can also help settle down low impedance overly sensitive IEMs too, to read more about what an amp can accomplish click here. On the other hand if you like bass and have a need to increase its performance/impact in the IEMs/headphones you use a ZO 2 would do the trick, along with amplifying the signal as well. Regardless the DAC on the e10 is only for laptop or pc use AFAIK.

Edit: BTW not sure if you read the abi Digizoid 1 review, but it's here
I'm aware of that. I just realized the E11 was the one I was thinking about. Also didn't know they made a E10.

The digiZoid is definitely interesting. The news article about the ZO 2 out for pre-order is what caught my eye which directed me to the ZO. It's great how it can expand the soundstage. It's definitely a plus.

I don't really use a laptop that often. I only use it on long trips like when I go snowboarding which happens probably once a year. Otherwise, I'm at home. I listen to music on my way to school though but I'm not planning on carrying a laptop in my backpack with me unless we're allowed to. Then I might just leave it on and have music playing but the chances of that are really unlikely.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 AM
bennyboy bennyboy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, me old china, London
Posts: 73
Default

Get a Cowon J3.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,057
Default

The J3 looks nice, and I would have probably bought one if it was under $100. Even the C2 isn't under $100 though, at least not yet. When I heard the C2 being announced, I was hoping that this would be Cowon's sub $100 entry. The non standard(at least non standard in the US) connector on the C2 makes what would be a very nice player not so nice. So even if the C2 does drop under $100, I might not buy one. I doubt the J3 will ever get under $100. The 8GB J3 has been stuck at $175 for a very long time. It seems like the 4GB J3 is no longer available.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The J3 looks nice, and I would have probably bought one if it was under $100. Even the C2 isn't under $100 though, at least not yet. When I heard the C2 being announced, I was hoping that this would be Cowon's sub $100 entry. The non standard(at least non standard in the US) connector on the C2 makes what would be a very nice player not so nice. So even if the C2 does drop under $100, I might not buy one. I doubt the J3 will ever get under $100. The 8GB J3 has been stuck at $175 for a very long time. It seems like the 4GB J3 is no longer available.
Almost too long. C2, meh. Clip+ is current top choice. Are there any other good amps or amp/dacs under $100 or near it? I remember looking at the iBasso Anaconda D12 and it was I think $200 or $300.

Edit: $285 from their site. Here.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 11-10-2011, 02:46 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Get the Digiziod ZO and a clip+/clipzip,...it's frigging amazing!!!
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
HybridCore HybridCore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Get the Digiziod ZO and a clip+/clipzip,...it's frigging amazing!!!
I heard some bad things about it over at Head-Fi.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
I heard some bad things about it over at Head-Fi.
Right, go get a hifiman or an s:flo 2 then,...
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.