android
Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 PM

Default Looking for a new player to replace a dead Cowon X7

• Capacity: At least 120GB. I'm ok with using a 128 GB memory card, but that would reduce my budget for the player from $350 to around $250 (to accommodate the cost of the card).
  • Budget: See above.
  • Use: Music only. Mostly listening at home, but not exclusively. I don't plan to use the player when commuting (I listen to Umano), or when working out (I have a Sansa Clip Zip for that). I don't care about video.
  • Type/Design: I don't care if it's DAP or PMP as long as sound quality and user interface are both very good. If the player has video capabilities which don't interfere with these aspects, it's fine.
  • Features:
    • Must
      • Very good sound quality. I'm not an audiophile, so the absolute best is not needed, but it needs to be at least as good as the X7.
      • Folder support, preferably with an option to completely disable database and ID3 tag indexing (a complete waste of time when my library is already properly structured using Artist\Album folder hierarchy).
      • No limit on the number of songs in the disk
      • FLAC & OGG support
      • EQ (preferably no more than 5 bands)
      • If the player relies on memory cards, it needs to support 128 GB in a single partition and use a file system that Windows supports
    • Highly desired
      • Decent volume. I'd be happy to find another player that can drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 OHM without having to connect an amplifier (the X7 was doing an ok job, so I normally didn't have to connect my FiiO E11)
      • Line out
      • Gapless
      • Mass storage support (MSC)
    • Nice to have
      • Built in speaker
      • Sound enhancements
      • Bluetooth
      • FM radio tuner
    • Don't need, don't care
      • Small size. The Cowon X7 is huge compared to most players, and it's fine by my standards. As long as it can fit cargo pants or slacks pockets, it's fine.
      • USB host
      • Text reader
      • Video
      • Specific OS, games, apps
      • Internet
      • A built-in microphone
  • Display: A must, at least 3", preferably more than 4".
  • UI/Controls: Tactical buttons or in combination with touch. I want to be able to change volume, skip songs and pause/play while the player is in my pocket
  • Battery life: At least 15 hours. Preferably with support for replaceable batteries
I plan to order online and generally prefer Amazon.

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by boren; 02-27-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 PM

** Edit ** I read that all a little more carefully a 2nd time.

IMO, it's somewhat foolhardy trying to find a device that is both portable and to be used at home to play your entire music library. Portables seldom have the capacity needed. You make a thing about 128GB, but what about when your library grows to 130GB or more?

You already have a portable player in the Clip Zip. Why not find a digital player suitable for home and continue to use the Clip when you need portability? The home player could be something like one of the little ARM based devices such as the Raspberry Pi, for under $50, along with storage anywhere on your home network. The cost of storing 128GB on hard disk is now about $5.

Last edited by Carson Dyle; 02-27-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 PM

I need portability for two reasons:

1. I'm at home, but that doesn't mean I'm sitting all the time. I use the player as a multi-room music listening solution, especially at night when the house is quiet. As far as I know there are no wireless headphones which can replicate the sound quality of a Beyerdynamic DT990 connected to a Cowon X7, let alone ones that can let me roam around the house without drops in connectivity.
2. I occasionally take the player outside

As for how portable, I wrote above "As long as it can fit cargo pants or slacks pockets, it's fine."

Old 02-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

3 players to consider, meeting or getting close to your criteria: Sony A17, FiiO X1, and possibly the Cowon M2.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony NWZ-A17 is excellent. It's sq is fantastic, the player easily plays all my synced playlists, and I can shuffle throughout all my music on the int & ext memory. I must say, it's a sweet little bugger!!!

Oh, 1 thing also to consider. Sony's UI might look dated, but it's rock solid. The FiiO firmware is a bit meh, but usable. And Cowon is Cowon - it take a little time to get used to the UI. But once you do it's pretty easy and reliable. I'd personally vote for Sony or Cowon.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I had read that there may be a limit to the card size for the Cowon M2, to 64GB? Although perhaps that was without a reformat of the card? Also, I understand that the M2 has a limit to the number of files it will accept, which the Sony A17 doesn't have.

It's good to hear that the FiiO X1's firmware is only "meh" and not below that--I was reading some very negative things--although I also have read that FiiO has been working to improve the firmware.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I had read that there may be a limit to the card size for the Cowon M2, to 64GB? Although perhaps that was without a reformat of the card? Also, I understand that the M2 has a limit to the number of files it will accept, which the Sony A17 doesn't have.

It's good to hear that the FiiO X1's firmware is only "meh" and not below that--I was reading some very negative things--although I also have read that FiiO has been working to improve the firmware.
I have heard of users getting 128gb cards working with other Cowon DAPs, I am sure it is the same here, you might just have to format carefully.
There is a limit, it's around 16,000 music files I think, so the potential buyer should be aware of his own music collection first and see if he has more than that or not.

Fiio are constantly working on their firmware releases for all three DAPs they sell, but one of the things that put me off was of users reporting that the sound signature changed upon various firmware releases :S
I don't know about you, but I'd prefer the hardware to be doing most of the sound and the firmware as only an interface...

The A17 is a good DAP, it also has Bluetooth which the M2 does not (a feature often forgotten). It also supports Hi Res files (if that matters to you).

The M2 has 90hr battery life, Cowon BBE+Jet Effect and a full range of tactile controls to complement it's resistive touch screen, there is also a few custom UI floating around that the user can try.
The M2 also supports 'On The Go' Playlist support, up to a max of 256 files tho.

The A17 has less battery life (but arguably plenty enough), it's own DSPs (which should be fine), Bluetooth, Hi Res, weighs slightly less, no touch screen but a simple enough UI. There is no 'On The Go' playlist support for the A17, but it does support playlists.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The A17 costs almost twice as much as the M2. Other than the high-res screen and larger (but not large enough) built in memory, does the Sony have any advantages to justify the extra cost?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boren View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The A17 costs almost twice as much as the M2. Other than the high-res screen and larger (but not large enough) built in memory, does the Sony have any advantages to justify the extra cost?

Not being cheeky but if you actually read mine and other peoples posts above I think we have done a good job of highlighting the pros of the A17 vs M2. There is also a cheaper A15 which carries less internal mem but I'm sure the rest is the same as the A17. Both carry a micro sd card slot which can safely take 128gb cards. The A15/17 doesn't seem to have a file limit.

Anyway, I highlight here in bold what yer looking for... :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I have heard of users getting 128gb cards working with other Cowon DAPs, I am sure it is the same here, you might just have to format carefully.
There is a limit, it's around 16,000 music files I think, so the potential buyer should be aware of his own music collection first and see if he has more than that or not.

Fiio are constantly working on their firmware releases for all three DAPs they sell, but one of the things that put me off was of users reporting that the sound signature changed upon various firmware releases :S
I don't know about you, but I'd prefer the hardware to be doing most of the sound and the firmware as only an interface...

The A17 is a good DAP, it also has Bluetooth which the M2 does not (a feature often forgotten). It also supports Hi Res files (if that matters to you).

The M2 has 90hr battery life, Cowon BBE+Jet Effect and a full range of tactile controls to complement it's resistive touch screen, there is also a few custom UI floating around that the user can try.
The M2 also supports 'On The Go' Playlist support, up to a max of 256 files tho.

The A17 has less battery life (but arguably plenty enough), it's own DSPs (which should be fine), Bluetooth, Hi Res, weighs slightly less, no touch screen but a simple enough UI. There is no 'On The Go' playlist support for the A17, but it does support playlists.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
There is no 'On The Go' playlist support for the A17, but it does support playlists.
Maybe a little OT, but this has always struck me as the most idiotic thing imaginable. It's one of the biggest reasons I jettisoned my iPods years ago. Do they just figure that the UI would be too complex for most users, or is there some other reason for not including the capability?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Maybe a little OT, but this has always struck me as the most idiotic thing imaginable. It's one of the biggest reasons I jettisoned my iPods years ago. Do they just figure that the UI would be too complex for most users, or is there some other reason for not including the capability?
I think it's lack of thought process and/or coupled with 'too much coding effort' for little appeal to the general masses.

I can think off the top of my head things that are hardly ever included in a DAP that i think should be standard yet rarely included. Such things like;

1) Balance control
2) Crossfade options
3) Dedicated EQ button that will toggle through presets you like.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Refreshing my memory by looking at some past threads, I've seen that the M2 will work fine with a reformatted 64GB microSD card and perhaps with a 128GB microSD card (some people with success, but perhaps some not?), but there's still that "pesky" music/video 8,000 file limit for each of the internal memory and external memory--potentially problematic with compressed files.

The FiiO X1 is very attractive at its storage and price point (use a 128 microSD card and have a 128GB player for under $200), but I got a bit spooked earlier in reading forum comments about the X1 firmware and some of its limits--such as a current database limit (although I know that FiiO is working on its firmware).

Old 03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

iPod's have on the go playlists nowadays,...they have for quite some time. The Sony A17,...sadly,...no OTG playlist creation. I know some require it, I'm good without it - as long as my M3U playlists work. That MY requirement!!!

As for runtime, I'll get 40+ hrs, as I use mp3/LAME exclusively right now. Later,...who knows,...LOL!!!

PS: The Sony A17 is nice and LOUD!!! BruceBanner - you'd luv the sound of this thing!!!

PPS: There are 5 "BookMarks" lists you can add songs to, so I (somewhat) stand corrected. Here's the Sony A17 post to give a bit more detail: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...59&postcount=6

Last edited by The DarkSide; 03-02-2015 at 04:46 PM.