android
Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 AM

Default Seeking IEM recomendation

Hi There
Just bought a J3 and seeking good IEM's to go with it. Hope you don't mind I used Adub's sticky as a guideline and added a few of my own. So here it goes:
1. Price Range: 40$-100$ (Max !)
2. Type/Design: Portable, in-ear
3. Isolation: Yes. I don't want to be able to hear conversation in the room/bus or wherever ...
4. Primary location of use: outside, bus, train, street, .... noisy outdoor places
5. Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: wish I knew. I would say balanced for a start
6. Media: hmm... all kinds I guess depends on the mood. Not really into heavy metal or hard core rap if that's what you mean. I would say mainly rock, indie ,acoustic and etc
7. Build quality: Strong. I am a little clumsy and tend to drop, pull, rip and you name it. If I am going to spend that amount on headphones they better last ...
8. Special needs 1: Preferably have in-line volume control
9. Special needs 2: Preferably shaped like these (see pic). The other kind just don't seem to fit in my ear.

Thanks for staying with me I know it's long ... really appreciate your advise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panasonic In-ear.jpg (6.3 KB, 7 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

*Coughs* Phonak Perfect Bass, with addition cost toward grey filters...Your special needs might be hard to meet it meets all you others.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

those in your pic have a slightly off shape to them...do you just mean traditional barreled IEMs? Have you looked at the M3 or the RE0? No personal experience with them but they are highly recommended. my personal taste go towards more fun, bassy sound sigs, but not so far as to be muddy, boomy stuff. I have a set of Hippo VBs and really like them. good bass without getting overpowering and out of control. I also have some Klipsch S4 that are enjoyable and they have a version with volume controls but they go up in your ear so dont fit your form factor.

Last edited by IDvsEGO; 12-20-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

my cx880s have an inline volume control - apart from that I'm not sure they're a whole lot better than plain cx300s (haven't tested those, but they're pretty common), quite bass-heavy.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. A few clarifications:
In form factor maybe the picture is misleading. I mean that I need small phones. I am afraid the standard size (even with the small size tips) - are still too big. So I am looking for relatively small ones...

Also, willing to trade off of course if I cant find headphones that are everything I want given up long time ago on trying to find the perfect ...

Going to check the RE0, Phonak Perfect Bass and Klipsch S4. So far tending towards the Klipsch from the reviews I have read so far. Still concerned about size and fit though

Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

they are very light and not obtrusive at all. the only thing about them is they have to be inserted fairly far up there to get a good seal.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

McJk

Have you tried any IEMs? If so, which ones?

I'm asking because most IEMs seem to accept the same size tips, and since that is what fits in your ears, I don't think any are particularly smaller in the ear canal. Yes, some have smaller bodies (which stick out of your ear). I haven't tried too many IEMs, so somebody more experienced should comment on this.

Perhaps you should choose a set that comes with extra small tips as well as Small, Medium, Large.

Steve

Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM

I have a set of Panasonic RP-HJE160 (I think ?? was a long time ago)
My first pair of IEM's after using mainly stock/other cheap earbuds ... and to my untrained ear they sound much better then any earphones I have ever tried, the fit perfectly and isolation is great too. BUT ... they are about to bite the dust (clumsy ...) if anyone is looking for budget IEM (under 30$) would definitely recommend these!
-- edit: The microphonics on these is not so good ...

I also have a pair of Phillips something or the other that just don't fit (smallest size is too big and even painful) ! and don't sound anywhere close to the panasonic's and are not as powerful either.

Need/Want new IEM's because I think I can expect more from the J3 than what my current earphone allow me too and also because they are hanging on their last thread...

Thanks for the all the suggestions so far ... its keeping me busy

Last edited by McJk; 12-27-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@McJK: Welcome to ABi

For you budget range, your range of selection is quite large - great, but may be confusing.

Around 10-20USD: Meelectronics [forget the model] or JVC Marshmallows, a popular fave here and elsewhere.

Around 50USD: Look at Maximo i590s, Hippo 10s/10EB.

Around 50-100USD: Hippo VBs, but even better, if you can still find 'em, my personal all time fave IEMs, the Panasonic HJE900.

All of the above are stuff I have listened to or owned and enjoy. However, none come with in-line volume controls [though you could purchase a separate inline adapter for like 10USD and then your range of options will be infinitely greater].

re: Isolation. Some IEMs will do better here than others, but this is also a combination of the tips [whether foam or silicon, the size, the fit in your ear], the housing shape and your ear canals. Just don't expect complete noise isolation, is all I am saying. Besides, IMO, complete noise isolation is not such a good idea when walking around urban streets [cars, buses, muggers, that hot chick trying to talk to you...]

Finally, you should definitely do more research here:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15243

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69

and that other site has an epic thread with tons of info:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...m3-added-12-20

Just remember that finding the perfect pair of IEMs can be like finding the perfect mate - 6billion people on the planet so there are bound to be variations in taste.

Best way is to try stuff on your own gear/music/ears - try to find reputable online or b/m retailers with bulletproof return policies...

cheers and good hunting!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the welcome and all the suggestions
Quote:
[though you could purchase a separate inline adapter for like 10USD and then your range of options will be infinitely greater].
Good idea - didn't think of that

I have checked out these mega threads earlier (on head-fi and dfkt's speardsheet - which is great BTW) but it just makes me even more confused ... so many options

I don't really have the option to buy, try and return because with the price of shipping to where I live and customs I'll easily double the price of the headphones I end up buying. Lucky for me ... shipping here isn't even an available option sometimes so that kind of narrows the list a little.

Quote:
Besides, IMO, complete noise isolation is not such a good idea when walking around urban streets [cars, buses, muggers, that hot chick trying to talk to you...]
Hmm ... willing to risk my life for the benefit of not having to hear the loud and noisy conversations of people on the bus who tend to scream across their phones or (my personal favorite) people who haven't heard of headphones at all and insist on using their phone's speakers so that everyone in the bus/train/street can hear what they are listening too ...
Life since I started using IEM's is sooo much better

Will update when quest is over for the benefit of those who happen to stumble on this thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

McJK

You mention shipping and customs. Would be nice if folks knew what country you live in. Might allow some customization of responses. EG "xxx is available from yyy with worldwide shipping".

Steve

Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 AM

Hmm ... don't know you guys that well yet
(I live in Israel)

Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM

hi,

i have hippo VBs and 10EBs - imo the 10EBs fit really well and have a nice, but not bassy sound- also have some creative ep630s - these fit really well too - nice and light - but sound not as clear as 10EBs

cheers
dan

Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with danx55 on all points....
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies