android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 AM

^^Download over wifi directly onto the zune. It will say it isn't added to collection when synced so I hope It'll be fixed soon.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Hmm, interesting. Ya, you definitely won't see it on your PC client, but I had heard reports of it deleting the app from the device upon sync.

This is good data - thanks for the report...

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,

The reports of it being deleted from the device upon sync are accurate. At least for some of us. Each and every time that I have attempted to download the app, it is deleted from my player upon the next sync. I am a heavy podcast listener, so this is done more than once per day. In other words, I am unable to have this particular app.

Truth be told, I am not personally desperate to have this particular game available to me, life goes on and I will indeed survive, but at this point I am very curious as to what is going on. I would also like to offer any help that I can to figure out where the problem lies as there may be an app that I do want in the future that has this same problem.

Thanks for looking into this.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre LaStank View Post
Dave,

The reports of it being deleted from the device upon sync are accurate.
yes it does it to mine too? i will download the game straight to
my HD and the next time i plug it in to the Zune software it deletes upon sync.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre LaStank View Post
Dave,

The reports of it being deleted from the device upon sync are accurate.
I think it depends on what your Sync options for Apps are. Mine are set to All, but it doesn't get deleted when I sync my Zune. Perhaps this could be why.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1n30 View Post
I think it depends on what your Sync options for Apps are. Mine are set to All, but it doesn't get deleted when I sync my Zune. Perhaps this could be why.
True! mine doesnt get deleted because my settings for apps is ALL.. if you have selected something else then it gets deleted!!!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 AM

kind of annoying right now because i got the game through wifi but now (probably since it fails to download on the zune marketplace) it keeps showing "FAILED TO SYNC" on this game every time i sync. it seems like im going to have to see the EVERYTIME i sync for the rest of my zune hd using life

Old 12-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thygriever View Post
kind of annoying right now because i got the game through wifi but now (probably since it fails to download on the zune marketplace) it keeps showing "FAILED TO SYNC" on this game every time i sync. it seems like im going to have to see the EVERYTIME i sync for the rest of my zune hd using life
Hopefully they'll have this all fixed before that...

Old 12-25-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Hopefully they'll have this all fixed before that...
yeah for sure. thanks for the sentiment though!

interesting note about my issue is that the the totems game is NOT in my cart and I haven't hit "download" on the item since it last failed. However the zune marketplace on my comp seems to keep attempting to sync a non-existent file ever time my zune plugs in. Sounds more like a programming bug in marketplace =\ sigh..

Old 12-25-2010, 11:46 AM

I tried adding it through the device itself not over wifi but connected by USB, without having the software running simultaneously, and I get this:
"The Terms of Service have been updated. To read and accept the new terms, sign in to the Zune software on your PC and connect this Zune."

I checked and double checked, but everything is up to date.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

If this is the High Quality Apps on Zune then its very sad. It is one thing to tell us that the reason why Zune doesn't have many Apps is because it takes a long time to develop a Top-Notch quality App, but failing to come through and producing a quality App is Epic Fail on Microsoft's Part.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:08 PM

tiki totems looks like it was developed by 7 yr olds; this app is def for 5 yr old and under

Old 12-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by compuok View Post
tiki totems looks like it was developed by 7 yr olds; this app is def for 5 yr old and under
Bro, have you seen the video where Joe Belfiore gets grilled on the Mobile D. I first read the transcript of video on Engadget and i couldn't stop laughing,so i had to check out the video.

Joe Belfiore is the guy behind Zune, Windows Phone, Windows 95,OS2{ Leader of the failed pack}

Heres the link, its hilarious.
http://kara.allthingsd.com/20101224/...-joe-belfiore/

Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
If this is the High Quality Apps on Zune then its very sad. It is one thing to tell us that the reason why Zune doesn't have many Apps is because it takes a long time to develop a Top-Notch quality App, but failing to come through and producing a quality App is Epic Fail on Microsoft's Part.
Actually, the past couple releases haven't been developed by MS.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Actually, the past couple releases haven't been developed by MS.
I know that indeed, but what I'm saying is, Dave argues that the reason there are so few apps for Zune is because they are working on High Qaulity Apps, I don't care who made them, the Apps come through official MS channels thats all that matters. They are just not delivering on their part.

Why Half-Ass. Go All Guns Blazing. Bring Halo, Gears, Fable. And see how people react. PGR was a great game, now that defines Great Quality. If they give games like that, people will greatly appreciate this act of good faith.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Joe Belfiore is the guy behind Zune, Windows Phone, Windows 95,OS2
Joe was not "the guy behind" Zune or Windows 95. I don't know what his involvement with OS/2 was, but given he joined MS out of college and OS/2 was a long time ago - if he was involved, I'm not sure he had much of a leadership role there.

Quote:
I know that indeed, but what I'm saying is, Dave argues that the reason there are so few apps for Zune is because they are working on High Qaulity Apps, I don't care who made them, the Apps come through official MS channels thats all that matters. They are just not delivering on their part.
No, no, no. Dave does not argue that there are few apps for Zune because we are working on high quality apps. No, the reason there are few apps for Zune is because we don't have an open development environment supported by a public apps submission process. The product was never designed for this, and so we don't have it. Simple as that.

We do have a small but consistent set of releases where we share the workload of developing new titles with members of the community and game development community alike. Folks like DinoGames can speak to the fact that I personally am working hard to provide a small apps ecosystem, despite the fact that we're not set up to do so at scale.

You say we're "not delivering" on apps, and I say, "since the product was not designed for this, I think we're over-delivering by keeping a consistent flow of good quality content coming". You can argue with me about whether we should have built an open app store/submission/development environment - and I've actually answered that question a bunch of times on this forum. But, working with the realities of the situation - ya, I'm pretty happy with what we've been able to put out.

You want an app ecosystem with XBL-style games? Windows Phone 7 is your product. You want a great PMP with no data contract? Zune HD is my recommendation.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugbob View Post
That sucks, it would have been really nice to bring a lot of apps to the "Zune HD experience."
I agree - which is why I'm doing my best to bring an app experience to the community.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
I agree - which is why I'm doing my best to bring an app experience to the community.

Cheers, Dave.
And im sure i speak for everyone when i say thanks Dave. Oh, just ignore re-vision.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugbob View Post
Yea, thanks Dave for doing your best.
Thanks guys - I actually have no problem with Re-Vision. It takes all sorts, and while his opinions appear to differ from a lot of folks here, he also speaks for others here.

I think where he comes undone is 1) amongst some valid points, he makes the occasional blanket statement which just doesn't make any sense, and 2) he writes ineloquently but attempts to be authoritarian. Maybe English isn't his first language, and I'm definitely not the best writer out there, so I can't fault him too much on #2, but #1 I think is where he loses a lot of credibility.

For example, he made a statement that if Apple should drop the prices of their MacBooks to equal or lower than PC prices, Microsoft would collapse and go under. Well, even without my employer-bias I feel pretty comfortable that 1) Apple is quite happy with their hardware margins right now, and don't see a need to reduce them, and 2) enterprise OS/Office sales, Windows Server, SQL & dev tools sales - the mainstay of Microsoft's revenue flow - are all entirely unrelated to how well consumer MacBooks are selling.

So, I think if he backed off the obsessively inaccurate and blatantly wrong blanket statements, and engaged in a discourse rather than a lecture, he'd be much better off, since much of what is buried amongst his rants is actually valid stuff. I for one would just like to see more of that, and less of the former.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:06 AM

i downloaded tiki totems and this is what happened

1. downloaded 100%
2. said "in collection"
3. looked in collection (wasn't there)
4. went back to apps and it said "download"
5. me had sad face

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin98989 View Post
i downloaded tiki totems and this is what happened

1. downloaded 100%
2. said "in collection"
3. looked in collection (wasn't there)
4. went back to apps and it said "download"
5. me had sad face
you can get it to work almost surely if you do it wirelessly. you should try that

however, ever since i tried to download it through the computer, it keeps trying to sync a non-existent tiki game everytime i plug my zune. very annoying