android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Default Firmware 4.5 upgrade error - access requires user name and password

Brand new Zune HD 32GB. Created user name, installed updated Zune software at home and at work, named my Zune, registered on the Zune network. Device driver found and installed in both places (Vista at home, Windows 7 at work).

At home, I cannot download the Zune software or firmware over my wireless network. Gets 1-3% downloaded then stalls. I cancel. Could be router issue so looking to solve quickest way possible.

So I bring Zune HD to work, do all of the prerequisite setup. Here too it says Zune firmware 4.5 update is available. My sync relationship is "guest".

Download poses no problem but then the update immediately fails with full error messages posted below. I have had this thing all week and still not operational! Any ideas or known resolutions would be appreciated!

Before attempted update:

UPDATE AVAILABLE
Current Software: 4.0 (356)
Optional Update Available: 4.5 (109)

Results of attempted update:

UPDATE ERROR

There was an error while trying to update your device with the latest software.
Please try again.

Can’t perform the requested action because access requires a user name and password.

To see if there’s more information about this error click “Web Help”.

ERROR CODE
C00D1339 (80190191)

YOUR DEVICE WASN’T UPDATED.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM

You'll have to change the sync relationship of your Zune from guest to tied. On the Device screen, you should be able to select "change sync relationship" then go from there.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Thanks. I tried doing that but I get the screen telling me I need to update my firmware in order to change the sync relationship - which I can't do.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Try setting the zune to recovery mode:
Follow method two of this guide:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974593?sd=zune

If that doesn't work, read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945278?sd=zune

As for the zune software installation at home, it might just be the zune software exe. It has the worst installer I have ever encountered. I've used zune since the "brick" 30 Gb zune and every install of the software has caused me issues on various computers. Usually the fix is to download the big a$$ package (245MB) from Microsoft.com
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...displaylang=en

Last edited by Swizzle; 12-10-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks, I've captured the links. I think I'm going to try solving it from home despite the interruption problem I'm seeing from the Zune sites (happened also with Zune SW dl, along with the firmware)... even if I have to try with direct connection to my cable modem rather than thru wireless. Or failing that, taking my laptop somewhere else to try the update.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:22 PM

Resolved. Swizzle, thanks for helping me with the recovery mode. I decided to take that approach and try again from home. Thought there may be wireless download issue at home, but saw a post from somewhere to ping the download server which here is downloads.microsoft.com - must have been consistently trying a bad server as my first ping failed. Retried ping, this time a different server/IP addy, and success. At that point I decided to see if my Zune would get the firmware updated to 4.5 and sure enough it worked.

Upshot - best to update the firmware before you personalize your Zune! (duh) I have done that with every other MP3 player I've had so don't know why I deviated from the process!!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 PM

You might want to dig around in your router settings to see if anything is wonky. Is UPnP turned on? IP address renewing? Etc. Or get a new router if it's suspicious.

Tags
firmware, password, update, username