android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media

Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM

an old favourite of mine:

plus i'm at book 8 of the Wheel of Time series and its gotten really, really long.. to the point of being boring but i'm gonna read it thru anyway

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
lestatar wrote as part of a post

I also see a bit of Sisko in Calhoun's character. Like Sisko, he's capable of doing things that are definitely not nice to reach his goals. Jumping series a bit, I see a little bit of the Seventh Doctor (played by Sylvester McCoy) in him too, where he goes in a direction that you wouldn't expect.

As far as series I'm currently reading, I plan to get back into the Robotech series by Jack McKinney soon. Although I'd seen a little bit of Robotech on television it didn't really interest me all that much. However, when I read the first novel in the series I was hooked. As a series of books, they overcome the frankenstein nature of the Robotect anime series (they took three unrelated anime series and merged them into one story) and made it a truly engaging story that got me through all 21 books in the series. Now, I think its time to read them once again, and this time in the correct order (the later books in the series fit in between some of the earlier books in the series).
Hmmm, interesting take on Calhoun/Sisko - I can see your point!

Not to sound like an uber-Trekkie, but have you read the recent Destiny Series or any of the ST books wrapping up and moving forward all the TV shows? Some incredible stuff there, especially the Destiny Series. Well worth a read IMO and in fact, you are missing out on some amazing writing/storytelling, mostly from that David Mack guy on the Destiny Series.

Pretty much every character in ST made significant appearances in Destiny. I don't want to blow it for you but let's just say that there is a resolution to the Borg once and for all.

re: Robotech - I actually have most all of the books in ebook format. Queued up along with hundreds of others I need to read.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hmmm, interesting take on Calhoun/Sisko - I can see your point!

Not to sound like an uber-Trekkie, but have you read the recent Destiny Series or any of the ST books wrapping up and moving forward all the TV shows? Some incredible stuff there, especially the Destiny Series. Well worth a read IMO and in fact, you are missing out on some amazing writing/storytelling, mostly from that David Mack guy on the Destiny Series.

Pretty much every character in ST made significant appearances in Destiny. I don't want to blow it for you but let's just say that there is a resolution to the Borg once and for all.

re: Robotech - I actually have most all of the books in ebook format. Queued up along with hundreds of others I need to read.
I haven't read any of the other "Star Trek" series in book form. One thing I liked about the "New Frontier" series is that it was stand-alone, and it seems like many of the books are tied down with specific events in the series.

One thing I'm considering is finding a series that is completely stand-alone. Many manga are this way, and they take their own direction when it comes to science fiction. Better, they often blend more than one genre (Martian Successor Nadesico combines science fiction and wacky comedy without compromising either).

One book series I've wanted to get into are the "Doctor Who" novels. My first exposure to Doctor Who was first as the Peter Cushing movie and then a few novelizations of the various stories of the previous Doctors. My ultimate goal is to read the entire Doctor Who series in book form in order. Since some of the Doctor Who stories television episodes have been lost (at one point the total number exceeded 100), novel form is the only way to experience some of the stories.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Just finished reading The Silmarillion. I really enjoyed it; the tale of Beren and Luthien and the chapters after it were especially incredible.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Time to revive this thread.

Loved the HBO show, so now I've begun the series of books.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to catch up buddy...

Can't wait to hear your reactions to the books. Especially since you saw the series prior to reading Book 1.

Book 5 baby....FINALLY!!!!

A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Can't wait to hear your reactions to the books. Especially since you saw the series prior to reading Book 1.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and I'm amazed at how closely they seem to match up. I really hope that the series sticks to the one book per season format....it's the only way to avoid having to cut out massive amounts of the story.

Now I am waiting for the series to reappear on HBO On Demand, so I can record it all onto DVD.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ totally. There are some fairly major differences between the series and the books, FYI - check the imdb epic threads there about season 1. And you thought it was vicious here on the Zune boards! There is some real nasty stuff over there - the usual book people vs everyone else.

But the bottom line from all is generally:
- another brilliant series from HBO;
- the heart and soul of the books is fully realized.

And yep, confirmed AFIAK by HBO - indeed will be 1 season per book. Martin needs to get off his ass and finish though before he kicks the bucket - he doesn't look so good IMO.

Also, they will stick to a smaller number of episodes [10] per season due to obvious cost issues. The powers that be have [rightly IMO] concluded that this series should favor quality over quantity.

"This is known."
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I am tearing through book 1.....I've read 2/3 of it since yesterday morning. So I'm sure there are some differences that are slipping by me, but as you say, the spirit of the book is certainly there. I'll have to slow down a bit once I make it to Book 2.

I can say that it follows the book much more closely than True Blood follows the Southern Vampire Mystery series, for example......although TB gets props for me for being equally entertaining even though it is different in many ways.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:

11 years is too long to wait. As much as loved the first 3 books; 4 was OK, but missing the best characters, I will not give 1 more dime to GRRM.

I'll still read it when the library waiting list finally gets to me, in about 3 years.

Right now, I'm almost done with Ghost Story, the Dresden Files #13, not the best in the series, but really good -after only a little over a 1 year wait from the previous book.

I'm also reading the Captain Underpants with my son, we're on "The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future" Good stuff.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
justed started that one myself.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Rereading this. Oh god it's so good! Why did I dislike it? Whyyyyy?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:57 AM

ok, so this is hard sci-fi but, its absolutely amazing.

read this already its very hard to describe, so i guess the best way to describe it is to say it is kind of like a "gonzo cybergoth space opera"
here is a better discription. http://www.sfsite.com/10b/rs114.htm

currently reading this. it builds on the last book different main characters but the plot is ever expanding and just as awesome.

after this book there is absolution gap. which i can't wait to get.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Wow there are other A Song of Ice and Fire fans around here. Nice!

I marathoned all the books in like a few weeks after seeing the TV show. Great stuff!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Wow there are other A Song of Ice and Fire fans around here. Nice!

I marathoned all the books in like a few weeks after seeing the TV show. Great stuff!
I'm about halfway through A Storm of Swords.....like you, I didn't ever read them until after seeing the show. In fact, I had never even heard of them before that.