android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media

Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM
General Audio Moderator

Default What are you currently reading?

As the title implies , what are you reading (be it a book / manga / comic) and how do you like it ?

I currently started reading the "how to train your dragon" books , yes they are for kids but hey the are fantastically awesome.

The book is quite short of a read but others exist and I will be reading them next. The story has the entire you can be a wimpy hero thing going on , it is most good.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 AM

I'm current reading several comic book series. The following are among my favorite series:

- Superboy: This is not the adventures of Superman as a teenager, but is about Connor Kent, the current Superboy. Connor is a clone created from the DNA of Superman and Lex Luthor. He has settled in Smallville and is now living with Ma Kent as Clark's adopted cousin. Much like at the beginning of the TV series "Smallville," recently strange things have started to appear in Smallville and Conner will have to deal with them. Unlike Clark in the TV series "Smallville," Connor does not have a preset destiny, which means this series is free to go its own way.

- Brightest Day: In the recent miniseries "Blackest Night" 12 individuals (heroes and villains) were brought back to life. A question lingers: why these 12? This series is slowly revealing the answer to that question.

- Justice League - Generation Lost: Maxwell Lord IV (an individual with mind control powers) was killed by Wonder Woman to save Superman and was later returned to life in the above series. Max used his powers to erase his existence from the minds of everyone in the entire world. Only four individuals remember Max and its their job to stop him. But it won't be easy considering that no living person can perceive any evidence of Max's existence, and the four of them have been discredited in the eyes of the world.

- Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps: Two series that are closely tied together. Green Lantern focuses on Hal Jordan and John Stewart who are assigned to Earth's space sector. Green Lantern Corps focuses on Kyle Rayner and other members of the Green Lantern Corps. The Green Lantern Corps is an organization that maintains order in the galaxy. Each member uses a ring that is powered by will and can do anything the user can imagine as long as he/she has enough willpower to do so. One of the current storylines feature the other lantern corps that are powered by other elements of the emotional spectrum (including fear, hope, and love), and their quest for the entities that represent each color of the emotional spectrum.

Each of the above series has been excellent and I look forward to each issue.
iTunes, MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Banned

Michael Connelly Nine Dragons - I really like his Bosch books.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 AM

Elliot Pattison.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:34 AM

Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany (aka. Lord Dunsany) - The Book of Wonder. Big influence on H.P Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Arthur C. Clarke, and basically anyone else who writes far-out stuff.

I'm also "reading" 999 on my DS at the moment, if that counts.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 AM

The Revolution of 2010, Carlos Cardoso

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 AM
General Audio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I'm also "reading" 999 on my DS at the moment, if that counts.
Yeah that is about as text heavy as one of the Haruhi light novels , so yes it counts :P.. I am still doing the same , it is really well written. So damn frustrating trying to get the ending you want though :P.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Night Angel Triology: Awesome story spanning across three novels based on the rise of assassin. The character Azoth starts off as and kids and grows and all the while training under his master Durzo Blint. A extremely interesting dark story.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM

I'm reading Iron Man back catalog and I'm at #41/332 of V1(the really old stuff). Also reading Stardust the Bowie bio.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Just finished Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. In one word: astounding. It is perhaps the best science fiction novel of the last decade.

Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 12-25-2010, 01:35 PM

I wish I could get back to comic books like Green Lantern, but I am lost on series, volumes, etc. Now on a Stephen Covey + a Java programming language books.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...3?a=007072797X

David bowie bio Stardust

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
I wish I could get back to comic books like Green Lantern, but I am lost on series, volumes, etc. Now on a Stephen Covey + a Java programming language books.
Green Lantern isn't too hard to get into. The following three graphic novels can give you a solid introduction:

- Green Lantern: Rebirth: Gives you an introduction to Green Lantern and shows how Hal Jordan returned from the dead and once again became a Green Lantern.

- Sinestro Corps War: A massive war between the Green Lantern Corps and the Sinestro Corps. Introduces elements that are still having a major impact on the series.

- Blackest Night: A devastating war between the forces of life and those of death, with the Green Lantern Corps in the middle of it. The fallout from this series is still being dealt with.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Thank you CDMP3PLayerFan! I hope that with the movie coming this year we will get some beautiful album books of original reprints like I saw for Spider-Man few years ago.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned

Patti Smith Just Kids. The rock musician charts her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe in 1970s New York.

it won the National Book Award for non-fiction in 2010.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The old Batman and Joker.....Joker is incredible, "no, no, no I think everyone needs to die. "Batman sure has some nice toys doesn't he?" "Where did the Bat get his toys from?" "Ok they where nice now there just going overboard"

Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirectionhome View Post
Patti Smith Just Kids. The rock musician charts her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe in 1970s New York.

it won the National Book Award for non-fiction in 2010.
I almost ordered it on amazon, it's up there on my list of books to get.

I ordered this for $17 for the hardcover on amazon, i couldn't pass up that price lol.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Thank you CDMP3PLayerFan! I hope that with the movie coming this year we will get some beautiful album books of original reprints like I saw for Spider-Man few years ago.
I'm a long-time Green Lantern fan, and I've been following the character since the 1970s. I'm looking forward to the movie, and the little I've seen (I'm purposely keeping myself in the dark so I can enjoy the movie as it is, rather than what I expect it to be) looks very good.

A good reading source is DC's "Showcase Presents" series. Roughly 500 pages of black and white reprints of the classic comics at a cost of around $20 per book. Each book focuses on a single hero or group and is presented (as far as I can tell) in released order. In addition to the books focusing on the major heroes (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman), there are also books featuring the lesser-known heroes (such as Elongated Man, Booster Gold, and The Martian Manhunter).

Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM

That looks exactly like what I would need. I remember that I also read it in B&W back then. But I guess my french editions were printed in a different format than the original US comics. I had some kind of soft cover pocket books, quite close to the size of the mangas you see now. It was published monthly. The Flash and Submariner had their mags too. It was more than 25 years ago...