android
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Default Sony MDR-V6: First Impressions

I ordered MDR-V6's after I accidentally stepped on my ES7's cord and ripped it
I was thinking of getting the ATH-M50's but price was a bit steep and my cousin was getting those anyway.

The V6's came in a very nice box, but the plastic on the cord was a bit frustrating for me to remove without a sharp object. The headphones are very well built with no creaking observed, but I do wish that they made the adjusting straps a bit harder to move because they feel like they are just sliding around with little sense of measurement. Compared to the ES7's, the V6's are EXTREMELY comfortable and isolation should be superior to the ES7's due to the V6's circumaural design.

When I got these headphones (just today), I wasn't sure what to expect from them. Most of the reviews I've read praise the V6's for their great sound quality, but some stragglers insisted that treble was WAY to bright. Guess what? The treble IS way too bright; whenever I listened to music, I hoped to God that the lyrics wouldn't contain too many words with an 's'. Tired of the needle-like treble that was piercing my ears, I decided to listen to some Beatles and turned on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and I was blown away... by the twangy intro guitar that BLASTED HELLISH SPIKES OF TREBLE RIGHT INTO MY EARBALLS. Tweaking the EQ didn't really help much either; lowering the highs veiled the music, and putting them up made my ears bleed to death. I remembered one reviewer, who complained about the highs, say that he would use his V6's exclusively for electronic music only, so I gave it a go. And lo, Deadmau5 delivered a symphony of aural bliss that even got more orgasmic when I tweaked the EQ. Highs sounded crystal clear without slashing my eardrums and the bass was like audio chocolate. Unfortunately, switching to another genre required me to return to normal EQ settings and everything else just sounded dead.

Long story short, I am not enjoying these cans right now. Electronic music is amazing on these, but everything else just falls short... or is too bright for me to handle. Most reviewers who did not enjoy the highs either said that the bass was the saving grace of these headphones, but I completely disagree. When you're avoiding listening to songs with lyrics that contain the letter 's', bass isn't just gonna make up for it.

I'm gonna update this thread as I keep listening to the V6's. Who knows? Maybe burn-in will tame the highs or I'll find the EQ sweetspot. Until then, I cannot say that I would recommend the V6's to anyone.

UPDATE: Fitted the V6's with velour pads and they are AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE. I thought that the pleather was comfortable enough, but the pads just upped the comfort level. Feels like I'm wearing furry earmuffs now haha.

TREBLE STILL KILLING ME ARGH

UPDATE #2: Watched an action movie (Crank). Word of advice: don't watch movies with the V6's. Shattering glass, gunshots, screams, etc will make your ears bleed.

Last edited by k5r2an; 12-10-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 PM

What player were you doing your listening on?
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 PM

The Sony MDR-V6 is a repackaged, nearly-identical version of the professional studio monitor MDR-7506. As such, these cans are NOT MEANT to be musical, euphonic etc. They are not meant to make all music genres sound superb. Actually, they are designed to do the opposite - to reveal all the inadequacies that a recording might have.

As such, you HAVE TO use the MDR-V6 with a good equalizer in order for them to serve as cans intended for pleasurable music listening. The good news is that they respond to EQing extremely well so if you have a Rockboxed player or a Cowon, you should be fine if you spend some time EQing them well. They will never be as euphonic as Sennheiser cans but they definitely have a unique and pleasing sound signature of their own, if you can conquer their analytical professional side.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Indeed this is one of the good things about the V6 imo, though i didn't get a lot of time on them. I was able to play with my friend's V6 and my clip+ combo and the EQ along with the bass/treble controls i was able to make the V6 into great sounding cans. His V6 are 3-4 years old and they we're not as harsh in treble as you describe in your initial post, whether it's because of the burn in or not i don't know.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
The Sony MDR-V6 is a repackaged, nearly-identical version of the professional studio monitor MDR-7506. As such, these cans are NOT MEANT to be musical, euphonic etc. They are not meant to make all music genres sound superb. Actually, they are designed to do the opposite - to reveal all the inadequacies that a recording might have.

As such, you HAVE TO use the MDR-V6 with a good equalizer in order for them to serve as cans intended for pleasurable music listening. The good news is that they respond to EQing extremely well so if you have a Rockboxed player or a Cowon, you should be fine if you spend some time EQing them well. They will never be as euphonic as Sennheiser cans but they definitely have a unique and pleasing sound signature of their own, if you can conquer their analytical professional side.
Whew, that's a relief. I have a Rockbox'ed Clip+, but the problem is that I'm somewhat of a EQ noob; I'm only used to using the 5-band EQ stuff and Rockbox is really taking a plunge into the dark for me. Thankfully, it's break so I'll have time to get to know how to use Rockbox

Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM

I've been using the Pro version of these cans, the MDR-7506 at work for over two years. I was a video editor so they were really ideal for the job because they would pick up all of the unwanted hiss that microphones inevitably pick up during haphazard filming sessions.

I no longer work at that studio so I lost access to these cans. I never used them much for listening to music since that would not be particularly productive at the job; however, playing around with the sound controls during editing definitely made me appreciate how well these perform no matter what wacky EQ setting you throw at them.

I recently caved in and ordered a pair of these for my own personal use. For listening to music, I like euphonic phones so I'm sure I'll need to spend a fair amount of time figuring out exactly what EQ works for me but I'm looking forward to it. They should arrive in a few weeks (ordered them from the US) and I'll let you all know what my impressions are.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I will say that if you get a nice EQ setting going for them the MDR-V6 can sound quite nice actually. Plus, the sound staging is actually one of their strong points. You'll love them once you find the right setting for your tunes.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Actually its the other way around, the V6 are the original and the 7506 are the new rebranded nearly identical set. THe V6's were discontinued at one point and the 7506 were the replacement. Now the V6's are brought back as the V6's due to popular demand I guess. I had a hand me down set of V6's back in the day, they must have been about 3 years old when I got them.

The main thing you need to consider with the V6's is their source material. A badly encoded track on these headphones will sound like the hellish sound you describe, especially with the "tsst" harsh tones. A good player is pretty important as well, but a Clip/Clip+ is good for them in any case.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Actually its the other way around, the V6 are the original and the 7506 are the new rebranded nearly identical set. THe V6's were discontinued at one point and the 7506 were the replacement. Now the V6's are brought back as the V6's due to popular demand I guess. I had a hand me down set of V6's back in the day, they must have been about 3 years old when I got them.

The main thing you need to consider with the V6's is their source material. A badly encoded track on these headphones will sound like the hellish sound you describe, especially with the "tsst" harsh tones. A good player is pretty important as well, but a Clip/Clip+ is good for them in any case.
The Beatles' song was 256VBR and the first song I listened to was Cowboy Junkies' "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" in FLAC.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 PM

So technically, the current V6 model is a rebranded version of the 7506, which was a replacement for the original V6. At least that is what I meant in my post.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 AM

I almost bought a set a while back but i had just gotten the M50s from TDS so i didn't want to spend more on headphones so i told a friend to buy them $50 used from a local guy who had 200-300 hours on em and didn't need them anymore. So he got a nice set of cans for a pittance!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
I almost bought a set a while back but i had just gotten the M50s from TDS so i didn't want to spend more on headphones so i told a friend to buy them $50 used from a local guy who had 200-300 hours on em and didn't need them anymore. So he got a nice set of cans for a pittance!
How would you say the M50's compare with the V6's?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 AM

The M50s lack that "ow my face hurts and i need to cringe my face muscles to show my discomfort" kind of treble treble the V6 have sometimes and the V6 lack the bass extension than the M50 have. Aside from they are one of the few quality Sony headphones.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
The M50s lack that "ow my face hurts and i need to cringe my face muscles to show my discomfort" kind of treble treble the V6 have sometimes and the V6 lack the bass extension than the M50 have. Aside from they are one of the few quality Sony headphones.
Okay I found one of the worst songs to listen to through the V6's: The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"

I lstened to it with no EQ and slightly-higher-than-average volume and the vocals have a lot of "tss" sounds. The effect is ear-jarring to say the least.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:34 PM

woops delete post

Last edited by k5r2an; 12-09-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5r2an View Post
Okay I found one of the worst songs to listen to through the V6's: The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"

I lstened to it with no EQ and slightly-higher-than-average volume and the vocals have a lot of "tss" sounds. The effect is ear-jarring to say the least.
Well, your phones will become less harsh with burn in. With this said, the harsh sibilance you hear is actually an indication that this particular song is not recorded very well. This is what these phones are for. On the upside, if you can EQ this song to sound good, most likely everything will sound excellent with these phones.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Well, your phones will become less harsh with burn in. With this said, the harsh sibilance you hear is actually an indication that this particular song is not recorded very well. This is what these phones are for. On the upside, if you can EQ this song to sound good, most likely everything will sound excellent with these phones.
It's not that the song wasn't recorded well, but that the vocals have a lo-fi effect on them, resulting in a slightly static-y sound and lots of "tss" (I dunno if there's an official term for "tss" haha).

Also, the V6's are best to be avoided when watching movies... especially ones with guns, shattering glass, screams, etc... I learned that last night.