android
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Clip+, External Amp, and HQ Music Source

I am a "retired" audiophile who no longer dabbles in high end audio gear but has taken the route of listening to my music (70-80s pop) on a portable player and a decent set of headphones.

I just discovered the Sansa Clip+ and am really impressed with it. I rip my CDs to FLAC using EAC at the default settings and presently listen to them on my clip+ and an old set of Sony MDR-V6 or Bose QC2 although I will probably get a set of Grado 80i in the near future.

A couple of questions:

1. Would my sound be significantly improved with an external amp such as the JDS Labs Bass Boost cMoy v2.02?? (Good size and only $65)

2. Is there anywhere that I can buy music that will compare in quality to my own ripped FLAC files?

3. Would the rockbox software improve the sound at all or is it just extra features? (I listen to my music as it was recorded and NEVER use equalizers.)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

1) No.
2) Not sure.
3) Rockbox would roughly double your battery life and change the user interface, but won't change the audio quality if you don't want EQ, etc.

Quote:
I listen to my music as it was recorded and NEVER use equalizers.
FWIW EQ is somewhat useful for correcting the frequency response of your headphones. Even if you're listening to unmodified flac, you're not actually getting music 'as it was recorded' unless your headphones have a perfectly flat response, which none do. IMO correcting for the frequency response of some headphones can have a nice effect.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM

I agree with all of saratoga's answers and I would go on to say that I doubt you can find purchased music as good as you can rip yourself with EAC. Also if you want to read "what a portable amp can accomplish," click here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Give it 7-10 years ...

Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the input.

I read all the threads on the amps and have decided to put that on hold for a while.

I listened to the Grado's today which I can buy locally but opted, at least temporarily, for a set of Shure SRH840s. If I'm not happy with them, I'll sell them on eBay and maybe go with the Grado 125's. The sound of the Grado's was great (125s) but I wasn't crazy about the build or the cable and having to use a converter from 1/4 to 1/8 inch jack.

Thanks again!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook9 View Post
... but I wasn't crazy about the build or the cable and having to use a converter from 1/4 to 1/8 inch jack.
I agree, not crazy about their build quality either and I won't even broach their sq. That said, shorting a cable and changing out a plug from 1/4 to 1/8 is no big deal. If you can't do it yourself, look for a local music equipment store that works on gear, but it's worth the try for yourself first.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Clip+ doesn't put out enough power to get the V6 to be at lts best. I like the V6, however I don't like how the V6 works with the Clip+. I guess an amp would help solve this.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 AM

The MDR-V6 is only 63 ohms impedance, can't see why the Clip wouldn't drive them, sure a portable amp would improve the power but is it worth the extra spend.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 AM

My clip+ drove the V6 to uncomfortable levels of volume, you need to turn it up more than the M50 but they in no way lack volume.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The Clip+ doesn't put out enough power to get the V6 to be at lts best. I like the V6, however I don't like how the V6 works with the Clip+. I guess an amp would help solve this.
You really need to stop posting this silliness. It almost discouraged me from buying some nice headphones until saratoga called you in this thread on this audiophile nonsense. That seemed to have stopped you for a while but here you are doing it again.

I ordered both the Sony V6 and the Senn HD280 after reading that thread. It takes another couple of bumps in volume but every DAP I have including the Clip+, Clip and Fuze can drive them 'way past any comfortable listening level. Someone may not get these 'phones for other reasons but the thought that the Clip+ may not drive them sufficiently shouldn't be among them.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The V6 seems to play loud enough with the volume on the Clip+ or Fuze at maximum, however the sound sounds very constrained. The V6 has much more open sound and sounds much more dynamic when connected to a good higher power headphone jack.
I guess some might say the V6 sounds a bit muddy or murky when used with the Clip+ or Fuze. The impedance number for a headphone doesn't tell the whole story. The impedance for a headphone can vary quite a bit. I think the stated measure is for 1,000 hz. Some websites such as Headroom mention that the V6 is not at its best with a low powered portable and can benefit greatly by using a headphone amp.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM

And I thought that not recommending headphone amps was in Headroom's best interest

Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Once again you post this audiophile crap. You might say it sounds "muddy" or "murky", those of us with fully functional ears say it sounds fine. That Headroom will says that it needs an amp is no surprise. They're in the business of selling amps.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 PM

Your hearing must be impaired JK98 because at max volume i can't stand the V6 for more than a few seconds, it's too loud.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wonder if some of this issue JK98 has with the V6's stems from his refusal to try Rockbox, even though it would give him his variable speed playback with pitch correction that he pines for so often.

I don't have them, so I haven't been able to try them for myself, but my Sansas will play my 60-ohm, low sensitivity KSC75's pretty damned loud.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The V6 seems to play loud enough with the volume on the Clip+ or Fuze at maximum, however the sound sounds very constrained. The V6 has much more open sound and sounds much more dynamic when connected to a good higher power headphone jack.
I guess some might say the V6 sounds a bit muddy or murky when used with the Clip+ or Fuze. The impedance number for a headphone doesn't tell the whole story. The impedance for a headphone can vary quite a bit. I think the stated measure is for 1,000 hz. Some websites such as Headroom mention that the V6 is not at its best with a low powered portable and can benefit greatly by using a headphone amp.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...2&postcount=19.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
The Clip+ doesn't put out enough power to get the V6 to be at lts best.
Quote:
The V6 seems to play loud enough with the volume on the Clip+ or Fuze at maximum
I'm not sure how you haven't figured this out yet given that Enigmatic seems to have quite patiently explained it to you on several occasions, but power == loudness. If something is loud enough, then there is enough power. If there is not enough power, then it will not be loud enough.

What you are trying to argue here makes about as much sense as saying that a lamp isn't bright enough because it makes too much light.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Now that is one hilarious analogy, well played sir and collect your prize .

Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
*snip*

What you are trying to argue here makes about as much sense as saying that a lamp isn't bright enough because it makes too much light.
That is an epic analogy!
Attached Images
File Type: gif 62673459.gif (37.5 KB, 68 views)

Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

On the Headroom website, in the reviews for many headphones they mention that an amp is not necessary for use with a portable player. That is not the case for the V6 though.