android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3 > Cowon J3 Video

Old 12-05-2010, 06:19 AM

Default Could someone please tell me if this video sample work on the J3?

First of all, thanks for sharing this tutorial & showing off SUPER. It really is a quite nice tool, that does what you want it to!

For me there seem to be one exception though. When I first tried converting a video, I had the output audio codec selected as Mp3, but the volume between the output and input was totally different, not to say that the bass broke as well, no matter what bit rate I was using.

Changing the output to PCM solved this, but after listening carefully there still was a sound difference, with and without using the same frequency for the output. It's not very noticeable unless you use headphones, but since I mostly do that when listening to music, I was a bit dissapointed. For some hours I kept changing the settings, but I've had no luck making a perfectly sounding video yet. And no matter how weird it sounds, the worst results I got was when I used "Stream Copy" for the audio.

I've found an alternative way to make things work out properly though. It seems like if I start out disabling the Audio and converting the video to the right format and then make a stream copy of the audio afterwards, the sound isn't modified at all. Afterwards, it's possible to use SUPER's MUX Video & Audio function to create the final video.

A little note. I've had some trouble converting a Stream copied audio filed that wasn't in PCM format using SUPER. I'll suggest you try any other converter if your the audio for example is in AAC or AC-3.

Oh, and since I don't own a J3 yet, could someone please tell me if this video sample worked for them? If it doesn't, skip everything I said above.

Grass.avi (50.1MB)

EDIT: I just noticed that I didn't change the standard setting of the H.264/AVC level doing the process of converting the video stream. However, since the standard level was set to 1.3, the chance is that the video might play just fine. Or, that's what I predict it will at least.

Last edited by Urne; 12-05-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Video uploaded, Extra note added

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM

the file works fine, although there are lots of artifacts while scrolling and they stay for one or two seconds. don't know if that's due to the compression/codec used.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Thank you very much for spending your free time on testing that video, deadohiosky.

I am no expert in videos, but I guess that the thumbnail is taking long time to generate due to the bitrate (1000kbps) of the video stream. I've merged another video with a lower bitrate (480kbps), if any of you would take your time to test it:

GrassLow.AVI [40MB]

Does it show the same artifacts while scrolling?

Last edited by Urne; 12-05-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Uploaded Video.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
Thank you very much for spending your free time on testing that video, deadohiosky.

I am no expert in videos, but I guess that the thumbnail is taking long time to generate due to the bitrate (1000kbps) of the video stream. I've merged another video with a lower bitrate (480kbps), if any of you would take your time to test it:

GrassLow.AVI [40MB]

Does it show the same artifacts while scrolling?
strangely it got much more worse than before and seems to be gotten choppy, too. rather mysterious considering that it's much lower bitrate.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Indeed that is very strange. GrassLow.avi should actually be more compatible since I changed the AVC/H.264 level from 1.3 to 2.2. Perhaps that could be the reason, but I don't know if that explains why the video had artifacts while scrolling at first place. On the other hand, level 1.3 shouldn't even be able to support a resolution as high as 480x272 (Wikipedia), so perhaps both files is at same level anyways.

This could possibly also have something to do with the sound. According to MediaInfo 61% of the video file size is sound, and the percentage is even higher with the GrassLow.avi.

I've mixed a 20 MB video where (only) 7MB of it is audio. The video is at the same 1000kbps as in the original Grass.avi in my first post. If you still feel like investigating into this, you are very welcome to test whether things has gotten less or more worse:

GrassSound.AVI

Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM

still artifacts while scrolling, but choppiness is pretty much gone.

it could be due to h.264 not being supported hardware wise. the software manages it, but the hardware can't stabilize the "picture", or whatever.

i still think that the first attempt (grass.avi) was the best one.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 AM

ah, I see. Thank you for testing all three videos, I owe you some!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
ah, I see. Thank you for testing all three videos, I owe you some!
nah, don't mention it.